Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : ALL IS LOST!!!!! (I lost every friggin hold!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon ALL IS LOST!!!!! (0)  
Ok, so this happened while i uploaded Mucho Budkin. When i was done, my levels list was completely cleared! Even JtRH was gone!!!! What HAPPENED?!?

Reloading doesn't work!!! What will happen to me!?!

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-20-2006 at 07:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: ALL IS LOST!!!!! (0)  
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Ok, so this happened while i uploaded Mucho Budkin. When i was done, my levels list was completely cleared! Even JtRH was gone!!!! What HAPPENED?!?

What game and version are you playing?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-20-2006 at 09:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
I've seen 2 or 4 of these and so I'd like a backup plan.

if I nightly copy my 4 .dat files to another directory, should I be immune to losing more than a days progress ever?

08-20-2006 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
silver wrote:
I've seen 2 or 4 of these and so I'd like a backup plan.

if I nightly copy my 4 .dat files to another directory, should I be immune to losing more than a days progress ever?
Yes, that's right.

Edit: To elaborate, the corruption that is occurring is inside these .dat files, where all hold information, player progress, and texts are stored.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-20-2006 09:38 PM]
08-20-2006 at 09:29 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

Jeff Ray, you have my heartfelt sympathy! :console

I recently went through exactly that experience and it is grim. If you can be bothered, read my thread "Have I gone deaf?" in 'General' and you will read some suggestions that the kind folks on this site gave me to try to rectify the situation.

In the end though I had to admit defeat, partly because data retreival software was going to cost around 100 American dollars and partly because, with returning to work, I needed to use my computer and accept that that probably meant writing over the lost data.

I had completed the better part of 2 dozen holds, including all of KDD, and losing all of that reduced me to tears. Hey-ho, life goes on, but it was a really bad feeling and I've only this weekend got back to playing a bit of JtRH.

Even if I think the chances of success are slim, I wish you every success in retrieving your lost data .

Elfstone

[Last edited by Elfstone at 08-20-2006 10:29 PM]
08-20-2006 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Assuming it is the same sort of problem I had here, you just need to export your player file to retain your progress. Then, re-install DROD (or maybe just obtain a copy of the default .dat files), re-download the holds you had, and import your previously exported player file. As for holds you have created, I imagine they cannot be retrieved unless they have been exported, or if the source of the corruption is uncovered shortly (and even then, I would think its very unlikely that the corruption can easily be reversed, if at all).

08-20-2006 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
It's twice as worse than you think! I have to redo Pritanus' Dungeon level 9, which was quasi-complete!!! And i have 2.0.15. rev7.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-21-2006 at 02:24 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Ooooh. That stinks. Even worse than when I accidently deleted my hold's 200-room level. Wish there was something I could do.
08-21-2006 at 02:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Ezlo wrote:
I accidently deleted my hold's 200-room level.

...!

200 Rooms! What hold? Did you redo it?

Keep posting,

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 08-21-2006 02:31 AM]
08-21-2006 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Big Wide World's Deadly Basement of Death.

Luckily, it was mostly empty rooms :)

08-21-2006 at 02:58 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
So, Jeff_Ray, I'll give you the same offer as I have made Pilchard and Elfstone. I'll give you my profile, you'll have to copy all the levels from your hold into a new one and redo all the staircases, but at least you won't have to redo the major holds like KDD and JTRH.
08-21-2006 at 03:08 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Oh ok. Will you that via PM?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 08-21-2006 01:45 PM]
08-21-2006 at 01:45 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Sorry for double post, but... whenever i import or make a hold, it doesn't update the list. When i create a hold, go to Manage, it is empty. Returning to the editor askes me to name the new hold.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-21-2006 at 04:57 PM
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Ok, so this happened while i uploaded Mucho Budkin.
Hmm... I hope this isn't my fault ;) It is my hold, but I don't know how it could delete everything. Other people have imported it and they still had their stuff saved. :?
08-21-2006 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
No, i guess it is the fault of 2.0.15 rev7. Even though the NPC decoys are cool, this destroyed my copy of JtRH!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-21-2006 at 06:49 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Mike just discovered a fix that might be able to repair corrupted data files. You might want to hang on to yours and check if it helps once he posts it.

08-21-2006 at 06:50 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Yeah, i hope he posts it soon, because i won't be able to do anything but play the most recently imported hold for now.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-21-2006 at 06:53 PM
mrimer
Would you look in DROD's Data directory and post the drod.err file located there? I need to take a look at these from anyone who has lost their hold list in order to confirm what the bug is.

Edit: Remember, guys -- 2.0.15 is a non-stable patch, which means you use it at your own risk. If you choose to use it without backing up your four .dat files first, then realize you just might lose your data.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-21-2006 07:53 PM]
08-21-2006 at 07:49 PM
Kevin_P86

File: drod.err (238.8 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: ALL IS LOST!!!!! (+1)  
Here is my drod.err from the old install - the one which had the holds list problem.

08-21-2006 at 10:47 PM
mrimer
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Here is my drod.err from the old install - the one which had the holds list problem.
Thanks a lot! Unfortunately, it's not showing the error that I expected to see at the bottom. I've fixed a couple 2.0.15 bugs that might cause apparent hold loss, but I'm not sure if they're related to this issue. If anyone still has their .dat files around that exhibit the missing hold list, would you post a zipped/rar'ed copy of your drod2_0.dat file?

08-21-2006 at 10:56 PM
Kevin_P86
I have ran the .exe that fixed the problem, but I still have the backed-up copies of the .dat files before the problem was fixed. Would you like me to post the zipped drod2_0.dat (13.5 MB)?

[Last edited by Kevin_P86 at 08-21-2006 11:00 PM]
08-21-2006 at 10:59 PM
mrimer
Kevin_P86 wrote:
I have ran the .exe that fixed the problem, but I still have the backed-up copies of the .dat files before the problem was fixed. Would you like me to post the zipped drod2_0.dat (13.5 MB)?
Excellent! Yes, please. I'm not sure you can post something that large, but try anyway. If not, try using WinRAR to compress the .dat file -- it should do a good deal better than zip. If that is still too big, then I'll try to deal with this some other way.

08-21-2006 at 11:03 PM
Kevin_P86
Yes - as mentioned in the other thread, it is too big. I will see if I can figure out how to .rar it...

08-21-2006 at 11:11 PM
mrimer
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Yes - as mentioned in the other thread, it is too big. I will see if I can figure out how to .rar it...
All right. Try raring it and reattaching. Alternately, attach them separately in two separate posts. I'm going to up the size of acceptable attachments temporarily so you can post this.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-21-2006 11:16 PM]
08-21-2006 at 11:15 PM
Kevin_P86
icon Re: ALL IS LOST!!!!! (+1)  
It let me attach the 9.1 MB .rar in the other thread...here :D

[Last edited by Kevin_P86 at 08-21-2006 11:20 PM]
08-21-2006 at 11:19 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : ALL IS LOST!!!!! (I lost every friggin hold!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com