Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Challenge Crafting (Design a room around a challenge!)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
IP: Logged
icon Challenge Crafting (+8)  
This contest has two parts.

Part 1: Participants send me a PM with three challenges that could conceivably be used in a DROD room - for instance, "stab only three roaches". Feel free to be a little silly and suggest challenges like "don't let the unicorn cross the finish line", but I recommend not making every challenge like that.

Part 2: I send every participant three random challenges from the above pool. Pick a challenge, then make a room based on it. The room must be completable both with and without doing the challenge. It is not necessary to use the Challenge Completed script command to actually award a challenge, but you can feel free to do that if you want.
You may make up to three entries, and if you want to use more than one challenge for the same room, that's allowed. Whether it's a good idea is another matter.
You can also make more than one room based on the same challenge if you really want to. Don't blame me if somebody figures out the rooms were made by the same person, though.
More thorough details to come when this phase actually starts.

Looking back, it appears Hold Title Mixup had one week for title submissions, and that worked well enough. So, the deadline for this phase is Local Time:10-19-2024 at 01:00 AM, with a little leeway as I will probably announce the second phase and send out challenge prompts the morning after and I will accept any last-minute PMs I recieve at that point.

At present I'm thinking of a deadline of Local Time:11-04-2024 at 12:00 AM, which is about two weeks after the deadline for prompts. But I could be persuaded to extend that if people think they'll be pressed for time.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 10-31-2022 01:54 AM]
10-12-2022 at 01:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
icon Re: Challenge Crafting (0)  
Should we name our challenges in the first part?

Entries in the second part are just one room?
10-12-2022 at 01:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Challenge Crafting (+1)  
Naming challenges is not necessary.

Yes, each entry will be one room. I'll be going into more detail on the limitations when we get to that point.
10-12-2022 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Five days remain to get your challenges in!
10-14-2022 at 03:46 AM
Dragon Fogel
I've been asked to extend the first phase by two days; I have no strong reason not to, so I will. The architecture phase will be extended accordingly.

This means you have six days to submit challenge suggestions. I've just figured out my own, looking forward to seeing what other people come up with.
10-14-2022 at 08:54 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I went ahead and contributed some challenges to the pile; fingers crossed I can hopefully participate in the room-building phase too.

I look forward to guessing who submitted what challenge and being very wrong as usual :)

10-14-2022 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
It's shaping up to be a pretty interesting pool already. Can't wait to see how people turn them into rooms.
10-14-2022 at 11:32 PM
Dragon Fogel
Three days to go! Looking forward to seeing those challenges.
10-17-2022 at 10:03 PM
Dragon Fogel
Two days to go!

To clarify, you can send in challenges without committing to enter the architecture portion. Just let me know ahead of time if this is your intent. (It's not a problem if you end up not finishing your rooms later - but if you let me know ahead of time, then I know not to send you PMs with challenges when architecture starts.)
10-19-2022 at 05:30 AM
Dragon Fogel
One more day! Get those challenges in now!
10-20-2022 at 05:20 AM
Dragon Fogel
Last day to get those challenges in!
10-20-2022 at 04:00 PM
Dragon Fogel
I'm going to sleep in a few hours. I'll respect any submissions I get by the time I wake up, but then I'm moving on to the next phase.

So, if you've been thinking about submitting some challenges but haven't yet, now is the time!
10-21-2022 at 02:58 AM
Dragon Fogel
Submissions are now CLOSED. I will be sending out challenges for the next part soon, currently randomizing challenges and assigning them to people.

I will be ensuring nobody receives their own challenge, and I will try to make sure nobody receives more than one challenge that doesn't directly involve DROD elements.

When I'm done, I'll post the full rules for Phase 2.
10-21-2022 at 05:37 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Challenge Crafting (+2)  
Challenges have been randomized. I'll be sending them out shortly.

Rules for Phase 2:

-You may enter up to three rooms. For the compilation, rooms will be on the same floor, but if you add a connecting room with relevant mechanisms (say, for a multi-pass room challenge) I'll try to include it.
-If making multiple entries, you may submit them as different levels in the same hold or as three different holds.
-Each entry will be named in the voting. Please name the level it's in according to what you want to see the entry listed as in voting.
-It is entirely up to you how to interpret your challenge. If it mentions roaches but you have a wacky spin where there are no actual roaches in the room, you're allowed to do that. No guarantees as to whether that will help you in the contest voting, though.
-You may use more than one challenge for the same room, either as multiple solutions or as constraints that can be combined in a single run.
-You may also make more than one room for the same challenge, although in this case it will be pretty clear that the entries are from the same person. That's your choice to make, though!
-The room should be clearable, but the challenge does not necessarily have to require clearing the room.
-The challenge(s) must be obtainable.
-If a challenge does involve clearing the room, it should be possible to clear it without earning the challenge.
-It is not necessary to script the challenge, but you can if you want to.
-If you absolutely hate your challenges and feel unable to work with them, let me know as soon as possible and I will either give you one from the unused pile or just make one up on the spot.
-Deadline is Local Time:11-04-2024 at 12:00 AM.

For the final compilation, I will be aiming to script as many challenges as possible; however, if there's broad agreement that a challenge is too much of a pain, I may skip over it and even remove scripting if it's included. Of course, making your challenge very painful to complete probably isn't a great way to score well in the contest.

I'll start sending challenges out now.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 10-21-2022 06:10 PM]
10-21-2022 at 06:02 PM
Dragon Fogel
Challenges are sent out.

Also, one clarification to the rules: you are free to interpret your challenge in any way you see fit, not just literally. Of course, that might not help you in the voting.
10-21-2022 at 06:12 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Challenge Crafting (+4)  
Dragon Fogel wrote:
-It is not necessary to script the challenge, but you can if you want to.
To anyone planning to script their challenge, I recommend reading through How to Script a Challenge to avoid common mistakes.

Of course this isn't too important right now, since scripts are optional and errors can be fixed after the contest. Still, this felt like an appropriate time for a tip.
10-21-2022 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Urgh, this is more challenging than I expected. I'll probably end up with a bunch of "for other holds" rooms, and one that's valid for the challenge.
10-22-2022 at 03:00 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
I have a rule clarification question...

If I build a room around one or more of the provided challenges, is it allowed to add/script up a challenge of my own to that room in addition?

(I am not entirely sure I'll be doing this, but want to know)

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 10-24-2022 03:05 AM]
10-24-2022 at 03:01 AM
Dragon Fogel
Sure, that's allowed. I'll just make a note of which challenge was suggested when I make the compilation, so people know that's the one the room is supposed to be focused on.

(Or you can do that and save me a little bit of trouble.)
10-24-2022 at 05:06 AM
Dragon Fogel
For clarification, since I was asked about this: You can submit your entries either as a single room with stairs, or you can have an additional room that lets you walk into the entry. Don't worry about making the additional room look good, though if it does I may grab it for the compilation.

All entries will be on a single level in the compilation hold.
10-24-2022 at 03:14 PM
Dragon Fogel
Six days remain for entries!
10-29-2022 at 05:23 AM
Dragon Fogel
About four and a half days to go! Get those entries in!

That said, I'm open to extending the deadline if there's demand for it. But nobody's actually requested an extension yet, so right now it still stands.
10-30-2022 at 07:40 PM
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
Could you update the timer in the first post?
10-31-2022 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Done.
10-31-2022 at 01:55 AM
Dragon Fogel
A little over three days to go!
11-01-2022 at 02:41 AM
Dragon Fogel
Only about two days left!
11-02-2022 at 03:11 AM
Dragon Fogel
If you're working on something, better get it in today or tomorrow!
11-03-2022 at 12:18 AM
Dragon Fogel
Last day to submit your entries!
11-03-2022 at 04:52 PM
Dragon Fogel
I have just had a last-minute request for an extension. So, I'll give it one more day. If anyone wants to use the extra day to polish up their entries, feel free.

This works out fine for me, because I haven't fully finished setting up the compilation. All the current entries are in, but I haven't put in their titles yet.

I was planning on hurriedly doing that when I woke up and formally closed submissions, but now I can take that at a more relaxed pace.

Anyways, you now have all of Nov 4 my time and the time between midnight and me waking up on Nov 5. Good luck to anyone planning to make use of the extension!
11-04-2022 at 06:08 AM
Dragon Fogel
Okay, I'm heading to sleep now. I'll close submissions when I get up, so you have a little bit of time to wrap things up. Use it as you will.
11-05-2022 at 06:05 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Challenge Crafting (Design a room around a challenge!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com