Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : A Watched Pot is Boiling (Our News for January 2022)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
IP: Logged
icon A Watched Pot is Boiling (+8)  
A Watched Pot Is Boiling

Welcome back, viewers! Uh, I mean, greetings to all Caravel community and newsletter subscribers! This is Chaco, with another Caravel status update.

Treacle Stew is Nearly Done

With the Bar now at the prime percentage of 89%, development on the upcoming Smitemasters' Selection, Treacle Stew, is nearly completed. We're at the point where final end-to-end testing is in progress, and in general will be putting together all the pieces for final publication. I'm as excited as anyone that the hold is getting this close to being done, but there's still plenty of work ahead.

Artistic Outreach

Unfortunately, we find ourselves without some CD cover art for the hold. While I doubt at this point we'll be doing a physical print run for this Smitemasters' Selection, we could still use that cover art both for the Caravel Games website and the Steam release. Both Mike Rimer and I have reached out to the previous artists we've worked with for prior games, and generally they are either unavailable or busy working on other projects. So, I must turn the question to you, the DROD community: Do you know of any artists interested in producing CD-quality art for a puzzle game? We're willing to dip into the war chest to help fund this properly.

Making Good DROD Levels, As Though We Didn't Have Any

The Make a Good DROD Level Contest Compilation is, at the time of this writing, nearly through the Hold Administration process. How does "making a good DROD level" need to be distinguished, for an official contest? It's an outgrowth of the "Make a good X level" idea from several other established communities, e.g. "Make A Good (Super Mario World) Level", "Make A Good Mega Man Level", "Make a Good Level X".

In short, it's an excuse to have a contest about literally anything, and being able to recognize and reward our hard-working level designers for doing what they do best - making fun, novel, and slightly tricky experiences that show that a good level isn't just good the month it comes out - it's good forever. People will be playing and enjoying the Make a Good Level contest compilation not just in 2022, but in years to come.

Contest thread:
https://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=45276
Compilation architecture thread:
https://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=45392
(Addendum 2021-01-04: Now published!) Holds board thread:
https://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=45503

The Godkiller - Chapter 1 - Out Now!

Erik Hermansen has just released his new puzzle adventure game The Godkiller - Chapter 1. The Godkiller combines DROD's stepping gameplay with the third dimension and inventive new block-pushing mechanics. Other features include a full musical soundtrack with vocals, death as a puzzle mechanic instead of a failure state, and Erik making bird noises into a microphone. The Godkiller is now available on Steam at https://store.steampowered.com/app/1449570/The_Godkiller__Chapter_1/.

Recognition for Not Asking

It's time for another Don't Ask award, for those who help keep the community going during these quiet periods where large projects have been released for several years, and hype and excitement have cooled off and turned to a more patient satisfaction.

This newsletter's Don't Ask award goes to hyperme, for his tireless work fixing bugs and implementing some neat feature requests for the upcoming 5.1.1 and 5.2 releases of DROD. A true display of the open source ethos at work; this deserves at least a little reward.

hyperme, pick a free prize from the Prize Pile!

Closing Thoughts

Well, this has been another tough year. We've all had to struggle to make it this far, but all in all I'm glad you're still around, dear reader. And if our community can be a good place to forget your worries and have some hearty discussions, then all the better. Until next time!

- Chaco, closing out the year

01-04-2022 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
peejle
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: A Watched Pot is Boiling (+5)  
What type of art you are looking for? As a years long DROD'er and semi pro digital artist I would love to contribute to your next cover for free. Dm me for samples of my work.
Peejle
01-22-2022 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
icon Re: A Watched Pot is Boiling (+1)  
Hi there, sorry for the delayed response; I've had my hands full since last Thursday with all sorts of personal and work-related business.

Unfortunately I have to break some good news with some bad timing: We've successfully commissioned an artist, Frappompi, to produce the CD art. I'm quite impressed with their work and have full faith in them. Major thanks are in order for them, both for reaching out and being very friendly to work with. Thanks to Dragon Fogel too, for helping make the connection.

Peejle, I'd certainly be happy to see samples of your work regardless of the above. Feel free to stick around on the forum, or chat about the game! There's reasonable chances that there could well be a Smitemasters' Selection after this one, authored by some other intrepid architect, and I'll certainly keep you in mind.

01-25-2022 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco

File: treacle stew v1.png (374.7 KB)
Downloaded 635 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: A Watched Pot is Boiling (+6)  
I've gotten permission to share an early sketch of the CD design as a teaser. Enjoy!

Click here to view the secret text

01-26-2022 at 11:56 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: A Watched Pot is Boiling (+2)  
Chaco wrote:
I've gotten permission to share an early sketch of the CD design as a teaser. Enjoy!
Now I'm hungry for literal stew.

Hmm. Gonna go rummage in the pantry a bit.

-Erik

01-27-2022 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
peejle
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: A Watched Pot is Boiling (0)  
Looking good!
01-27-2022 at 05:00 AM
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
icon Re: A Watched Pot is Boiling (+1)  
gotta say as someone who's directly assisted with the Make A Good Mega Man Level in specific (specifically i help with the wiki) it is Surreal seeing it on a Caravel Forum post. truly, the gap between the Caravel Forum and the Talkhaus grows ever narrower, and we must brace for impact in which uncle broadsword is canonized in a SMS (and if this sounds like jargon, ask your nearest dragon fogel he'll get it)

anyway mark my words the moment treacle stew drops, I'm Ready ;P

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
02-01-2022 at 05:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : A Watched Pot is Boiling (Our News for January 2022)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com