Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Make a Good Drod Level (MaGDL)! (Contest for July/August)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Make a Good Drod Level (MaGDL)! (+6)  
Make a Good Drod Level!
An Architecture Contest

I thought it might be fun, for the first time in quite a while, to have a more generic contest. The goal is to try and make a good DROD level, no gimmicks or restrictions. Well--apart from some very basic rules, which will be stated below. But you are encouraged to go crazy here! Use custom elements or weird scripting to your heart's delight, or adopt the gimmick of any previous contest if you want, or come up with your own silly rule for how your level is built.

Rules:
-Up to 20 rooms per entry, up to 3 entries per person.
-Don't put anything in your hold that wouldn't get past the HA's (so: Copyrighted material that's not yours, profanity, etc.)
That should be about it!

Voting:
After the submissions are in, I'll make a voting thread and we'll have some time to vote. Just vote on the entry that you think was the best: Most fun, creative, or so on.

Deadlines:
Submission deadline is Local Time:08-30-2021 at 06:00 PM, which is negative 138 weeks from now.
The time to vote will be 2 weeks from after the poll goes up, which will also be indicated more precisely at that time.

Prizes:
This is an official contest, so the prizes are the usual:

First place: 100 rank points and your pick from the Prize Pile
Second place: 50 rank points
Third place: 25 rank points
First-time entry: 10 rank points

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-24-2021 10:07 PM]
07-01-2021 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Make a Good Drod Level (MaGDL)! (+3)  
To help with inspiration, here is a pile of hold titles I found in a notepad file from back when the Hold Title Mixup Contest was a thing. Feel free to use any of them, though one or two of them may have been seen in that contest!

07-01-2021 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Make a Good Drod Level (MaGDL)! (0)  
Thank you for hosting this contest!

I must have missed that other contest you referenced. Reading through these hold names was a hoot!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-12-2021 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Make a Good Drod Level (MaGDL)! (+1)  
If you're curious, the relevant threads for that contest are here and here. It was back in 2017.

The last three titles in my list above are a Spongebob Squarepants reference ("Gary Takes a Bath")

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-12-2021 04:02 AM]
07-12-2021 at 03:59 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Thanks!
Xindaris wrote:
The last three titles in my list above are a Spongebob Squarepants reference ("Gary Takes a Bath")
Ah, I hadn't made the connection. Fun! My kids recently went on a Spongebob kick and binged many old seasons. I laughed a lot when I watched some shows with them, but by the end, I felt my brain turning to mush and I'm glad that's over. :P

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-13-2021 05:04 PM]
07-13-2021 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Hey there, this is your standard, boilerplate warning post to let you know that there is now a little under a week left on the clock to submit your contest entry!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-26-2021 08:52 PM]
07-26-2021 at 08:51 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4591
icon Re: Make a Good Drod Level (MaGDL)! (+2)  
After discussion with Xindaris and others in chat, we have decided that since making an entire level can be a demanding task, we will run the architecture phase for two months instead of just one. (Xindaris is graduating today so he asked me to post this announcement.)

07-31-2021 at 01:44 PM
Xindaris
Hi, this post probably isn't necessary but I just want to confirm beyond all doubt that I also agreed with this deadline extension :thumbsup

08-01-2021 at 02:11 AM
Xindaris
I've been quite busy lately, but this is a warning that we're now under a week until the new date. It'll likely be 4-5 hours between the "deadline" and when I'll be able to start compiling things, FYI.

08-24-2021 at 08:23 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
The official deadline in the first post has passed; I had been working under the assumption it was the end of the month, since the extension announcement only said "another month".

I've submitted an entry few hours past that deadline before I realized this. Deadlines have usually been a little malleable, so that hopefully isn't a problem; but I just want to check if you intend to still accept entries tomorrow in case anyone's even later than I am with theirs.
08-31-2021 at 01:59 AM
Xindaris
Let's officially consider the deadline "slightly malleable". I had some 7000 other things pile on to me at once today that I needed to get done and couldn't really even visit the forum until just now. I'll begin to start working on the compilation hold now, but it's understandable if "end of month" meant 31st to somebody else or you want to make an update real quick in the next ~20 hours or so? It'll be easier for me personally to download and assemble the entries into the hold tomorrow afternoon when, hopefully, I'll be able to start on this much sooner. Let's say uh..Local Time:08-31-2021 at 11:00 PM???

...I hope skell's hold tools has had that bug fixed by now so I can anonymize it myself, but I'll figure something out if not.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-31-2021 03:07 AM]
08-31-2021 at 03:04 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Make a Good Drod Level (MaGDL)! (Contest for July/August)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com