Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Hold Title Mixup Contest! (Contest for June)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Hold Title Mixup Contest! (+6)  
Hold Title Mixup Contest

Do you have an amazing title? Do you want to architect but can't come up with a title? Do you just want to give and get an interesting architectural challenge? Then this is for you!

In this contest, participants submit a hold title, and then are given a hold title someone else came up with! Your entry will be graded both on how fun it is and how well it fits its title, so do your best at both!

More Specific Rules:
This contest will be run in Two separate rounds.

Round 1: Everyone who wishes to participate submits to the submission thread a title. Try to think of a title for a cool hold you'd like to see or something otherwise interesting. If you have lots of ideas for titles you're allowed to post up to five, listed in order from most preferred to least; the others aren't as likely to be used but may be helpful all the same. Keep in mind that the entry from your title will definitely have no more than 5 levels and 5 to 15 puzzle rooms total, so don't make a title involving the number of rooms or levels being more than that.

Round 2: Everyone who submitted a title will be PM'd the title of the entry they must make, which will be something submitted by somebody else. (Who gets which title will be determined fairly by RANDOM.ORG, basically the first order I get that doesn't give anyone their own title.) You should build a hold with this title that you think is fun and fits the title well (but remember there are lots of creative ways to interpret anything :P). If you absolutely cannot use the hold title you are given you're allowed two Mulligans. This is where any extra titles people submit will come in handy: Your first Mulligan will come from the same person who submitted your original title, and if that's still no good the second one will be a random title from everyone else's secondary titles.

Once the titles are sorted, make your hold! Your hold should be between 1 and 5 levels long, and have between 5 and 15 rooms of puzzles (and not a ridiculous number of navigation rooms). If you have one level, the level should just be titled with your given hold's title. If instead you decide to have more than one level, each level's title should be "Hold Title: Level Title" where 'Hold Title' is the one you were given and 'Level Title' is a subtitle that you come up with for that particular level.

If for some reason a person was not able to submit a title during the time of Round 1, they can still ask to participate in Round 2, only receiving a title and not submitting one. This is the other use of secondary titles; any late joiners will receive some secondary title chosen at random. Two Mulligans are still available to this group as well, of course. (I guess if you really don't want to see anyone use one of your cool titles you can just choose to come in on round 2 also.)

Voting:
After the submissions are in, I'll try and get an anonymized compilation together and then a voting topic pretty quickly. At this time, of course entrants should rate their own entry 10 as usual; for anyone else, try to rate mostly on hold quality and a little bit on how well you think it matches the title. If the hold's so amazing you've got to give it a 10 regardless of how well it fits the title that's fine; if you think the title's been fit so well that it makes up for some hold quality that's okay too.

Deadlines:
Round 1 (submitting of titles for others to use) will last until Local Time:06-09-2017 at 08:00 PM, which is negative 358 weeks, 5 days from now.
Round 2 is due at Local Time:06-30-2017 at 09:00 PM, which is negative 355 weeks, 5 days from now.
The time to vote will be 2 weeks from after the poll goes up, which will also be indicated more precisely at that time.

Prizes:
This is an official contest, so the prizes are the usual:

First place: 100 rank points and your pick from the Prize Pile
Second place: 50 rank points
Third place: 25 rank points
First-time entry: 10 rank points

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-09-2017 08:51 PM]
06-02-2017 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Hold Title Mixup Contest! (+1)  
In the interest of all transparency and fairness, I'm going to make a note here that I intend to enter the contest: Put in one to some of my own titles and try out one of somebody else's. In fact, getting to do so is the entire reason I want the contest to happen badly enough to run it myself. But I will not vote in case of any and all anonymity concerns and I will defer all prizes in the unlikely event of my entry getting a high placing. As far as prize-giving is concerned, it will be like my entry is not even there.

06-02-2017 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
This sounds really fun! I can already think of some terrific names to submit, like "Hold Title Mixup Contest Hub Level" and "These Stairs End the Hold."

06-02-2017 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
icon Re: Hold Title Mixup Contest! (0)  
Is there or isn't there a rule that all titles are to be "G-rated"?
For non-US people that means a family audience, e.g. no risqué humor.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
06-02-2017 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
I'd like this hold to eventually pass HA, so the language rules are precisely equal to those for normal hold submission (as seen here).

06-03-2017 at 12:47 AM
Xindaris
Gentle reminder to anyone who hasn't that today's the last day to submit titles in round 1!

06-09-2017 at 02:48 PM
Xindaris
OKAY, All the titles should now be out! You have 3 weeks!

If you didn't manage to get in to round 1, remember you can still ask to join round 2 and will be given one of the numerous secondary titles to participate with!

I will admit here and now to an error :-O. I missed one person at first due to another person posting their multiple titles in multiple posts and thinking that one person's post was another of the another person's post. I didn't notice I had missed that one person's post until I had already sent titles to a few other people. So I used Random.org again to reshuffle among those who hadn't already been sent titles.

For the original people, my notation says Person 1 --> Person 2 to mean that person 2 got person 1's title. For those who had to be reshuffled due to my mistake my notation says Person 1 --> Person 2 --> Person 3; person 3 is the one who got the title due to the extra shuffle, while person 2 is the one who originally had the title.

The point is that I tried to fix my error in as fair and random a way as possible without having to do any takebacks on titles, which would've been a really bad thing to do. And everyone has a title and everyone's title has been sent! Effectively it's like I didn't make the mistake at all.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-09-2017 08:51 PM]
06-09-2017 at 08:48 PM
Xindaris
ANOTHER THING!

It has come to my attention that some of the titles submitted are pretty long. Long enough that the room text up at the top of the play screen gets filled by that text and then has no space for individual level titles or even just room coordinates. I'm going to go ahead and declare that if your title scrolls off the screen like that you may use an abbreviated version as the hold/level names, and put a scroll with the full title in the first room. Note that this is permission and not a requirement; if you prefer to leave the long title in that's OK too.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-11-2017 03:56 AM]
06-11-2017 at 03:55 AM
Xindaris
As yet another mid-stream amendment, I'm of the opinion that if someone has made one entry and wants another title to make another entry out of that's perfectly fine, up to 3 total per person say. If anyone has an objection please say so soon.

06-16-2017 at 07:08 PM
Resert On
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
Xindaris wrote:
Once the titles are sorted, make your hold! Your hold should be between 1 and 5 levels long, and have between 5 and 15 rooms of puzzles (and not a ridiculous number of navigation rooms). If you have one level, the level should just be titled with your given hold's title. If instead you decide to have more than one level, each level's title should be "Hold Title: Level Title" where 'Hold Title' is the one you were given and 'Level Title' is a subtitle that you come up with for that particular level.

Are the story prologue level must follow this rules?

[Last edited by Resert On at 06-17-2017 02:56 AM]
06-17-2017 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
I'm not sure what you mean by that. You need 5 to 15 puzzle rooms, so if there's not a puzzle in whatever you're referring to those are what I call "navigation rooms".

06-17-2017 at 03:32 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Hold Title Mixup Contest! (Contest for June)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com