Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A work-in-progress of my ZelDROD (Screenshot of the Upgrades room)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Casebier
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 283
IP: Logged

File: ZelDROD-Status.png (153.8 KB)
Downloaded 127 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A work-in-progress of my ZelDROD (+1)  
Just recently I saw somebody else mentioning in their Sig that they were going to be doing a hold called ZelDROD... Since that's what I was already naming the hold I was working on, I thought I'd get this out into the open right now, as opposed to waiting.

Mine is based on the original NES Zelda 1. I currently have the entire overworld remapped into DROD (and let me tell you, it wasn't fun). I'm currently in the process of implementing all of the different levels of upgrades. I have a feeling the numbers will be dropping as I go further... MetDROiD:Echoes only has 18 upgrades, I currently have 29.
Just to give an idea of the Upgrade Screen, I've attached a picture.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Casebier at 04-10-2007 05:01 PM]
02-07-2007 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
icon Re: A work-in-progress of my ZelDROD (0)  
Casebier wrote:
Just recently I saw somebody else mentioning in their Sig that they were going to be doing a hold called ZelDROD...
That would be the friendly fourmer, zex. :) \

Sounds good though, I'll be looking forward to this.
02-07-2007 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
Don't worry, I know Zex was planning a hold based on Ocarina of Time, you two wouldn't be clashing, too much! :D

I'm also thinking of starting a community project based on either LttP or the Oracle duology. So you're not the first, but I believe your the first to actually start serious building! Keep up the good work, and let us know as soon as a playable demo is available!
02-07-2007 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I had built through the Kokiri forest...but then my laptop crashed and I lost it.

I'm still planning it (with voices!) but waiting for TCB to take advantage of every possible thing (I've got plans for adders.)

As for the naming, feel free to take "ZelDROD". After all, it is the original. I just need to find a musical instrument for the Eighth, then.

02-07-2007 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
The Legend of Beethro: The Triangle of Time! :D
02-07-2007 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Wow, that's a lot of staircases. It is necessary to do stuff like this in order to preserve room state beyond the room, unfortunately.

Well, keep at it! I will happily play through the hold once released, as I have done with the metDROiD series.

02-07-2007 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Casebier
Actually, an architect could get really sneaky and test like this, thereby cutting the numbers of stairways required in fourth.
 +++    +       -> Walls
++:++   #       -> NPC on Stairway
+:#:+   :       -> Ortho Tile (Also Player Spawns)
++:++
 +++

Then you just test for each space, when one is positive, the NPC on the stairs temporarily disappears, and the NPC in the upgrade spot Permanently disappears.

[Last edited by Casebier at 02-08-2007 12:23 AM]
02-08-2007 at 12:23 AM
Casebier
You know, we could just both use ZelDROD. Mine would be The Legend of ZelDROD 1, yours could be ZelDROD- Ocarina of the Eighth

[Last edited by Casebier at 02-08-2007 12:30 AM]
02-08-2007 at 12:29 AM
zex20913
I'm thinking The Legend of ZelDROD: The Really Big Sword of Time.

02-08-2007 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: A work-in-progress of my ZelDROD (+1)  
Whoa. A few months ago I decided to make a DROD version of 'A Link to the Past' in DROD: 3.0 (when it comes out). I didn't think of a name, but if we really work towards it, we can remake the whole Zelda series! That'd be great! Zex, would you let me use ZelDROD: A Link to the Past? I would understand if you wouldn't, because it seems a lot of people are copying your idea... Maybe I could start on the Overworld now, and import it into 3.0. Yeah, I think I'll start on the weekend (5 pages of Algebra Homework due Friday :weep ). So what do you say, Zex? Casebier? We could make a ZelDROD team.

Keep posting,

02-08-2007 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Hey! I sort of maybe called Lttp earlier in this thread! -_-
02-08-2007 at 01:27 AM
zex20913
I'm up for some teamwork. I'm not all too fantastic at scripting (yet), myself, though I do think I have creative ideas for bosses, and know the plots to follow as well.

02-08-2007 at 01:51 AM
UrAvgAzn
Ezlo wrote:
Hey! I sort of maybe called Lttp earlier in this thread! -_-
Oh... I'm sorry, I didn't see it. I was considering The Wind Waker, but it seems a little hard to do, and I haven't beaten the game yet. What if you join the team, Ezlo?

zex20913 wrote:
I'm up for some teamwork. I'm not all too fantastic at scripting (yet), myself, though I do think I have creative ideas for bosses, and know the plots to follow as well.
Great! I love working in teams. By the look of the screenshot, it looks like Casebier is excellent with scripting. I myself don't really like doing scripting that much. But I think I can be good at copying the Overworld layout into DROD, and can make some of the puzzles. But I think we should wait for TCB to get anything worked out. I suppose we can start on the Overworld though.

I've only played TLoZ NES, aLttP, and The Windwaker. I've started on Link's Awakening, but didn't like it that much. Is Majora's Mask any good? I might get that..

Keep posting,

02-08-2007 at 02:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
I would recommend playing Oot or Oot Master Quest before MM. You can get that for the Gamecube used pretty cheap, but it is a reasonably rare game. And yeah, I'd love to help make stuff, I good at scripting and have ideas for bosses as well. I'm also good at stories, although nothing we make that's Zelda related would be an original story. :P I also can decorate! Pretty much the only thing I can't do is actually create puzzles that aren't heavily scripted boss-fight-type rooms.
02-08-2007 at 02:31 AM
zex20913
geomatrx also mentioned (much) earlier that he(?--I don't know geo's gender, though I'm assuming male) would be interested in doing Zelda as well. And his boss fights are fantastic. I don't know if the offer still stands though.

02-08-2007 at 04:47 AM
UrAvgAzn
Thats good. I wounder how we're going to get this together, though. I still don't have CaravelNet, so we can't make a private beta board. I suppose we can e-mail each other and PM the latest news. That'll work! So what game are we going to work on first?

I think we're getting a little off topic here. Sorry to Casebier for hijacking his thread a bit. If anyone wants to create a new topic for this, please do it.

Keep posting,

02-08-2007 at 09:25 PM
Casebier

File: ZelDROD-World.png (5.9 KB)
Downloaded 599 times.
icon Re: A work-in-progress of my ZelDROD (+1)  
No, No, this is good.
What I did to convert Zelda 1 Overworld map to DROD was the following:
1. I found a copy of the Overworld map on the Internet (can't find the location anymore) Original Dimensions-4096x1408
2. I split the map into four columns for easier viewing. (1024x1408)
3. The size of a Zelda 1 screen is 16x11 sprites. The size of a DROD screen is 38x32 sprites. Since each of my Quartiles was 4x8 screens, I resampled each file to 152x256 pixels(=4 x 38, 8 x 32), keeping the pixel resolution the same(96).
4. I then used that resample map to copy the Overworld.
5. Here's a screenshot of the entire map as it appears in the Editor's minimap window:

[Last edited by Casebier at 02-09-2007 11:32 PM]
02-09-2007 at 11:30 PM
zex20913
Nicely done!

Are you planning on a second quest deal too?

02-10-2007 at 01:20 AM
Ezlo
Oooh! That'd be awesome!
02-10-2007 at 01:53 AM
UrAvgAzn
Very nice. I just realized, A Link to the Past, and The Legend of Zelda NES use the same map? Cool, I've never known that.

Keep posting,

02-10-2007 at 02:50 AM
Ezlo
They don't. Where did you get that idea? -_-
02-10-2007 at 03:03 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
I would be willing to help on the scripting side of things, though hold art isn't my strong suit. So I could work more as a consultant (and writing the longer scripts) and I would like to beta test as well.

Someone mentioned The Wind Waker. I've beaten it a couple of times, and I could help on that a lot.
02-10-2007 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Casebier
Yes, I was planning on a Second Quest, but it would be more in the lines of the Blue Doors dropping in all of the dungeons for more rooms to solve (via gaining the Magical Key in Dungeon #8).
Also, if you noticed from my first screenshot, there's a staircase that leads up to the bottom of the Triforce... guess where that's heading? :)

An overview of my DROD skills:
I'm good at scripting (mainly due to ZZT Programming)
I'm good at custom art
I'm not good at epic battles... I don't think I'll be able to make very tough bosses.

[Last edited by Casebier at 02-10-2007 07:41 AM]
02-10-2007 at 07:39 AM
zex20913
Well, the original Zelda doesn't have really epic boss battles, except possibly Ganon. So that should be alright.

02-10-2007 at 01:17 PM
UrAvgAzn
Ezlo wrote:
They don't. Where did you get that idea? -_-
Well, I looked at Casebier's screenshot, and it just looked like ALttP. That's just me thinking, though.

Anyway, I'm going to make a new topic about ZelDROD, probably where we can get this organized.

Keep posting,

02-10-2007 at 01:28 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Well, it makes sense for them to be similar, as they ARE the same world and all...

02-12-2007 at 02:46 AM
Casebier

File: ZelDROD-Status_TCB.png (93 KB)
Downloaded 467 times.
icon Re: A work-in-progress of my ZelDROD (+2)  
All right, I've attached a DROD 3.0 screenshot showing the new Status screen with all the upgrades activated.
Of course, please ignore the small alcoves along the bottom of the screen, they are just there for debugging upgrades. (ie- They add one to each upgrade variable.)

[Last edited by Casebier at 04-10-2007 05:02 PM]
04-10-2007 at 04:59 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Woo, yeah!

I'm looking forward to the Zelda and Metroid goodness that can come out of 3.0. :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-10-2007 at 05:45 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
mrimer wrote:
Woo, yeah!

I'm looking forward to the Zelda and Metroid goodness that can come out of 3.0. :thumbsup
I've been toying with the idea of Super DRODio 64 myself.

*lays claim*
04-10-2007 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Uhuh... I'll make Zork:TCB, once I'm done with my BF interpreter. Or maybe not. I'll just help with scripts.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 04-10-2007 11:21 PM]
04-10-2007 at 11:18 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A work-in-progress of my ZelDROD (Screenshot of the Upgrades room)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com