Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Legend of Master Hunter (My first released hold - I hope it isn't too hard...)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
IP: Logged

File: The Legend of Master Hunter PreRelease.hold (1.3 MB)
Downloaded 95 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Legend of Master Hunter (+2)  
Drod 2.0 and higher.

UPDATE 04/08/2007
==================
Fixed Bugs.

Things that are left to do...

-Finish scripting in The Plant. Now that I notice...
-Finish scripting at the end of the Guilderhood.
-Secret Level.
-Add more secret rooms.
-Finish the Master floor.
-Add more sounds.
-Something else that I'm probably going to forget. :P

*One bug left over: stairs at entrance of Mud Vein still end hold. Beh.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Yellow_Mage at 08-04-2007 12:53 AM]
09-30-2006 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: The Legend of Master Hunter (0)  
Okay, Now i have download :)

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
09-30-2006 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1076
icon Re: The Legend of Master Hunter (+1)  
Looks Good:

Bugs or Typos:

General Advice:

Have one character do all the talking or else the speech can get messy.
Check your characters for end scripts. Many don't have them.

The Deep Well: 2E: Spelling: "greastest hold of all time" should be "greatest" ; Also needs an end script for beethro speaking
2N: add end to script

09-30-2006 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I just want to say that this looks VERY promising from the editor. I just wish I could get past the second level! ;) One big problem with multi-visiting levels is it's very hard to test everything at once, I would recomend finishing it a little more before updating again. Now to go back to those stupid golems.
10-01-2006 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Wow, just from the editor this hold is like eye candy. You're a great Architect!
Dark Templer looks good!
In the The Guilderhood 1S, how do you get past the blue gate? The stairs in the entrance behind the green door doesn't go anywhere. I'm stuck!
Now playing the Tears of Merlin: Arrrg! I hate tar puzzels!
Awsome hold!!

[Last edited by tokyokid at 10-01-2006 03:32 PM]
10-01-2006 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
If you play the hold from begining to end, you start somewhere different in the Guilderhood. That entrance is to go somewhere different.
10-01-2006 at 08:17 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Oh. I was playing in the editor, becuase I got stuck on level 2 or 3.
10-01-2006 at 09:55 PM
Yellow_Mage
Doh... I had all this information on a little text pad about my intentions of this hold. I had to leave my house really quickly after I uploaded. :S

There is only one level the require you to vist more than once and that is the Guilderhood. You have to revisist it 4 times, then the Blue Door drops (after you kill the last set of Roaches). Not all the rooms are needed in the Guilderhood. It's actually linear so there should be no confusion, but it makes you explore a bit. You don't (have to) revisit any other floor (Sewerways is a go-between so it feels that it had some geographic depth. Kind of. :P)

There was one/two other level/s that I made you have to visit more than twice because it had two floors, but I got rid of it because I felt it was too confusing.

Original blurb that I forgot I wrote:
---
Hold Name: The Legend of Master Hunter
Length: Epic
16 Levels, but how it made it may seem that there are more... :P
Difficulty: Very difficult I believe. I have this problem you see... :P

I wanted to do something strange and new, but oldskool at the same time.

Synopsis/ self appreiciation: I wanted to make a dungeon that was post JTRH overall difficulty [edit: been a while, I might play Agarius' hold :D], but still accessible to people who haven't played it [Edit: what was I thinking? :blush]. No story breaking/making (terms of canon), and you could say it in another dimension but it still smells like the DROD universe.

(For the most part) I wanted to create thematic levels. Some of the new stuff in DROD I liked very much (kudos) so I might of gone on a homage spree with levels with the new monsters, but I haden't played any killer rooms that used X monster as a theme, so I did it.

This kinda testing my building skills because this is my first ever released hold, even tho I have made/lost/broke/indefinitely held 5 of them, and I built them differently. The [level building] process I made was to make the whole level first, then I put the puzzles into the rooms. The only problem with that I kept on adding rooms rather than subtracting and it got hella big. But at least it looks pretty (somewhat).

Some minor puzzly scripting fuzzyness.

Finally, I wanted to see if a hold could handle my idea, using the use of multiple of stairs that i made in my previous hold for DROD:AE [Not as bad as it sounds]. So so much easier to do. That hold carried the name The Search of Master Hunter. Not going to finish because I made it rediculously hard because I was thinking "everyone would think its too easy". That's was aaaagggges ago. Playing it now nearly made me punch my laptop screen off it's hinges. However that had some nice rooms which I wanted to carry over into this one, but I ended up making more original rooms. (so far only 7 rooms carried over. It was suppose to be easier work for me.) Vaguely similar story, but as opposed as search for him, he hunts you out...

NO HALPH. My friend hates him so he isn't it (he keeps asking me this question when I make a new level). I had no intention of using him because you could have a very similar effect by scripting. I think. Who needs him anyways? He just slows you down...

Story (well it need one)

Beethro went to the Smitemaster's Guild (not affialiated with Thee Smitemaster's Guild) because it was market day. Conicidentally he also recieved an old letter (post marked 18 Moons/Cycles ago) from Master Hunter the day before. It was more than odd because Hunter dissappeared many yeahs/years ago (actually 3 but who's counting?). He had no reason to go to the guild, as it was out of his way, and hadn't been there for a long time, but he was somehow compelled to go. Maybe it was the smell of the food, and the wine, or maybe it was getting that strange letter that made he go... Master Hunter had a reputation that went with the Smitemaster Guild (literally, as soon MH disappeared...) Beethro was no detective, but has a nose... a nose for... nosing around in all kind of things.

"I could kill some time, and boy, I AM hungry..."

Approaching the Guild it was very different from what he remembered. Mainly people were more friendly. He had passed from stall to stall, trying food, and forgetting the reason why he was here. The shadows that he thought were put to the back of his mind, and the ones that were following him...

*Shove*

"AHHHHHH!!!"

And he fell... and he fell...

Oh yeah, nearly important thing...

Q:"Who is master hunter?"

A:Once was a Smitemaster who dissappeared over the years....
He got the titled because he created the fabled Double Sword of Doom (It had a better name, but Kabab Sword of Devlish Bane wasn't acceptable as it was kinda vague description)

He was undefeatable until he entered the Hidden Hold of Depth, where no one has heard from him since then. until...

Rumours turned... from Whispers.. voices... came from the Deep talking about him...

Well, really, he became an Architect, and created Holds himself. He's got a thing against delvers for some reason now, and thats about it.
---

I just though what I should do: delete The Guilderhood and release the other levels. That makes more sense.

I will be working on a new level because I removed one and I think it would be sadistic to have the mud level come up so close to the tar one. So next update would be chunky.

10-02-2006 at 03:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Well, sorry for the necro but,

1. I'm stuck on Dark Templar 2N

and

2. Any updates?

EDIT: Wow. It's taken me six months, but after posting for help, I immediately got it. H&S syndrome rocks! I hope it's compatible with TCB! :D

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-26-2007 12:34 AM]
03-26-2007 at 12:29 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
If it's the room I think it is - there is more than one entry point.

There are some tough rooms on that level.

03-26-2007 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Nope, one entrance, but if you look at my post, I just edited it.
03-26-2007 at 12:35 AM
Chaco
PM me if you need help with any of the other rooms in this hold.

03-26-2007 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Thanks!
03-26-2007 at 12:37 AM
Yellow_Mage
Not... dead... Oh mah gawd!!!

Yes. Updated.

Sorry it took so long. I just wanted to do things in a certain way. I delayed it initially because I thought might be too hard, so I needed it played through by other people to see if I didn't do that, so I didn't make rooms for quite a period. Most of the time was playing around with scripting and making things work I wanted to, but that didn't work out so I stupified the scripting, but those rooms are still challenging.

Ja, enjoy, I like a little bit more feedback this time as I am considering making certain rooms easier.

05-04-2007 at 04:03 AM
Ezlo
DOWNLOADED! I'm going to go play now! Thanks for the update! :D

EDIT: Well, I was going to use the warp, but the stairs end the hold. Oh well.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 05-04-2007 04:22 AM]
05-04-2007 at 04:18 AM
Yellow_Mage
Ezlo wrote:
DOWNLOADED! I'm going to go play now! Thanks for the update! :D

No problem (wow fast) :P I just remembered something, I put a crappy warp, but it didn't finish it, ignore it. :blush

05-04-2007 at 04:24 AM
Ezlo
Too late, I already tried it! I beat the hold! Hurrah for me!
05-04-2007 at 04:25 AM
Yellow_Mage
GAH!!!!! :P

Ok, I'm not going update it cos of that minor thing... first mistake with stairs ever, but you saw the message! lol

05-04-2007 at 04:46 AM
Ezlo

File: TLoMHC The Deep Well 5N5E.demo (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
Here's an unintended solution I found in Under the Well.
05-04-2007 at 04:47 AM
Ezlo

File: TLoMHC The Deep Well 5N6E.demo (1001 bytes)
Downloaded 47 times.
And a scripting bug. It also works on the southern side. Onward to Dark Templar! :)

EDIT: On second note, you might not want to have the warp room be required, I have to go all the way back now.

EDIT: I'm going to bed now.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 05-04-2007 05:06 AM]
05-04-2007 at 04:50 AM
Yellow_Mage
Thanks, updating in a moment.

Ezlo wrote:
Here's an unintended solution I found in Under the Well.

Ta, that's another way... :P I don't really mind it for these rooms at all. I used the door to kill the snakes directly in one of my demos. Original hold copy tho'.

Scripting bug, because I was such a script kiddie, fixed, warp room fixed.

05-04-2007 at 05:12 AM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Very nice, I really like it! This could be one of the best holds I've ever played. Just some quick grammar checking:
Should Of = Should Have
Would Of = Would Have
Could Of = Could Have

Keep posting,

05-08-2007 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Ta. That's a compliment and a half...

Room changes I want to do.
Dark Templar - Delete 1N,1E
Dark Templar - Move 2N,1E to 1N, 1E - Move 3N,1E to 2N,1E.
Dark Templar - Swap 2N with 3N
Dark Tunnels - 1N,7E becomes a better room.

Considering changes.
Sewerways - 1W - delete 2 or 3 wubbas. I thought I had the right number but it can be tricky just before you solve it and go "bah! Annoying peices of fluff."
Tears of Mazin - 3E - make it easier.

*strokes chin*

[Edit: 24-05-07]

Something that I never really wanted to do, but I'm seriously thinking of upgrading this to DROD 3.0 because of scripting, how certain events are handled with it, proper cutscenes instead of waiting for set period of time, and music. It was the fact that could really have music in it properly that clinched it for me. :(

This is fairly annoying because to go around certain things I wanted to do, the size of the hold, I was going to do a another version of this hold with all those places you wish you could of gone to, the other half of the story explained through different characters, because I just wanted to publish at least one hold, so do two medium sized instead of one large. Meh, I'll think about it some more, only because I don't like the idea of doing duplicate holds, dvd version with extras or something like that.

*Burp* I probably going to do something really rude and finish it prematurely where I don't want to, but it would be finished, and I do an extra level prior to that point because of that. DAMN. Seriously.

[Last edited by Yellow_Mage at 05-24-2007 04:25 AM]
05-11-2007 at 07:55 PM
Yellow_Mage
Bring up my post, sorry. It's kind of frustrating.

Here's music I was going to put it.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/15/169503/Slowdawn.ogg

Ah, that old horse...

Well, I was doing a series of stuff I wanted to be the first to make a music pack, but I'm often critised for being too dark. I can't help it.

05-24-2007 at 04:33 AM
Yellow_Mage

File: Wood floor JTRH small.jpg (7 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Other
*looks up*

Uhh...

Well UPDATED.

Now, The Plant is pretty epic, even tho' I think I played bigger levels made in DROD. It's just that it has tar stuff used in a way I don't usually do. Intentionally combat orientated. When I was playing it, even I was caught of guard. Most of the rooms I made originally in DROD AE, but even I had to remix a few of them a bit. I think 4 rooms remained untouched puzzle-wise. They were rather challenging in AE.

Backtracking was nearly rendered impossible because I wanted to retain symmetry and forgot about the properties of Mud. You could clear a room, but you had to pass through some rooms than once so you would get stuck on the way back. And the fix was basically keep making rooms until it fit symmetry and was backtrackable.

The Plates has much fewer rooms, but for a level that I never intended to make it's pretty solid.

Most of the levels in this hold I pre-planned, even tho' I never formally wrote it down or started drawing or did practice rooms for sakes of making a theme with the exception of monster/player only actived plates and evil eyes that open/close doors.

There was a few other ideas I had in mind but most of them were crap as I was winging most of the ideas whilst making it. Which is why the Evil Eyes only really appear in one rooms because they make bad puzzles because you can't tell which Evils Eyes activate which doors. Making them close doors was pointless because it basically the same as getting seen by one and it going into a Force Arrow trap. Making them open doors was much better, but you really needed to know which doors that opened and was far more important than closing doors.

Sewerways was intended to be like that, even tho' I don't like the finished result. I would of added rooms to it, but certain idea for that level later (to be reused) wouldn't have been as attractive.

Woot.

Oh yeah...

License changed because I'm using a sound sample under a Sampling+ license.

By sirplus http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/usersViewSingle.php?id=30374)
toiletflush.wav http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=16593)

Also I would like to know who made this floor image. (attached)

And finally, there are custom tiles which are c&p from DROD. Ok, the dodgy thing is that it's part of DROD but it's modified, but I wanted a illusion of walking over a pit. Now, commons sense tells me it's alright. Technically it isn't (I don't think) so I need permission to use.

AND also, custom floor tile, Iron Grate that appear, I made.

[Last edited by Yellow_Mage at 07-21-2007 03:13 AM]
07-21-2007 at 03:07 AM
Chaco
I'm currently replaying the entire hold again, since there are some new secret rooms in some older places.

I like most of the reorganization you've done and the new rooms. However, I think that, due to there actually being a point to solving The Guilderhood: Twice West now, you should make Once West backtrackable - currently backtracking to that room just puts two closed doors in your way, so an orb or a passage with some force arrows would be nice.

Also, some way to avoid having to redo the Wubba Holding Area puzzle in The Guilderhood: Twice South, Twice East multiple times (possibly involving a roach and a green door) would be rather nice. The current version allows you to solve the puzzle and then run smack into an unopenable green door. You would then have to redo the puzzle again once that door is opened.

I'll comment more once I get into the Mud Vein and the Plant.

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-27-2007 02:23 AM]
07-27-2007 at 02:13 AM
Chaco
I've played up to the modified Tears of Mazin at this point, and I can say that, although there aren't many changes to most of the rooms in Steel Prison and Tears of Mazin, there are some new secret rooms which I did enjoy solving.

I like the new Tears of Mazin Thrice West more than I did the previous version. The room now has more emphasis on the "mad dash" aspect more than the "horde management" aspect, although the cleanup at the end of the room is quite tedious still.

Unfortunately, due to some well-placed force arrows, if you exit the room after clearing it to the north, then try to backtrack out, you are stuck, because all entry points trap you and kill you in various manners. A green door placed right above the orb would fix this by providing a new entry point.

EDIT:

The Dark Tunnels: Once North, Septence East could really use a checkpoint, now that it's decidedly non-trivial to kill the rattlesnakes.

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-27-2007 08:29 PM]
07-27-2007 at 08:14 PM
Yellow_Mage
Chaco wrote:
I think that, due to there actually being a point to solving The Guilderhood: Twice West now, you should make Once West backtrackable - currently backtracking to that room just puts two closed doors in your way, so an orb or a passage with some force arrows would be nice.

It's reachable once you have practically completed the hold. You just don't quite have the luxury of going back when you feel like. :P

Also, some way to avoid having to redo the Wubba Holding Area puzzle in The Guilderhood: Twice South, Twice East multiple times (possibly involving a roach and a green door) would be rather nice. The current version allows you to solve the puzzle and then run smack into an unopenable green door. You would then have to redo the puzzle again once that door is opened.

It was sort of intentional, I just hope that players wouldn't have to do it twice over. If I did change it, it wouldn't be the room itself.

Entering from the SW of 2S 1E, that orb would open the yellow door that would led into that room so you shouldn't run into the green door on the other side.

I like the new Tears of Mazin Thrice West more than I did the previous version. The room now has more emphasis on the "mad dash" aspect more than the "horde management" aspect, although the cleanup at the end of the room is quite tedious still.

I know. The mad dash was my original intention and not remove the outer tar bits, but I forced it. I couldn't make it any better. I'll fix the room.

The Dark Tunnels: Once North, Septence East could really use a checkpoint, now that it's decidedly non-trivial to kill the rattlesnakes.

Oh, poopie. That room wasn't suppose to be there because I found that it was rather tricky. It was suppose to be a rather trivial room, but of course during the copying and pasting, I wasn't looking.

Ok, seems that I made a few mistakes, I know I still got a few unfinished things in some of the later rooms so no fixes yet. But I'm changing it to Anyone Edit just in case someone gets stuck.

I really need to do that map room for The Plant...

Ta, Chaco. :)

07-27-2007 at 08:49 PM
Chaco
Having played through most of the Sewerways, I feel an intense need to comment further.

There are a lot of puzzles I liked - Thrice South, Twice West in particular is a very nice room.

Twice West is trivially (I think) solvable by placing one decoy just west of the southwest corner of the yellow-door square, so the roach gets distracted *after* it leaves its gate, and the rest of the decoys can be placed suitably far away so as to kill the rest of the roaches.

There's apparently no room at Twice South Twice West, even though after dropping the blue doors you can travel down the corridors where the wubba was, and travel down the tunnel in Once South Twice West. This disappoints me.

EDIT:

Also, the staircase up in Mud Vein: The Entrance ends the hold. Probably a mistake during room copying.

Three more checkpoints in Mud Vein: Once South Twice East in similar places to the first would be very convenient, seeing as there are several different room states for that room.

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-28-2007 12:31 AM]
07-27-2007 at 10:57 PM
Yellow_Mage
Chaco wrote:
Twice West is trivially (I think) solvable by placing one decoy just west of the southwest corner of the yellow-door square, so the roach gets distracted *after* it leaves its gate, and the rest of the decoys can be placed suitably far away so as to kill the rest of the roaches.

Good catch.

There's apparently no room at Twice South Twice West, even though after dropping the blue doors you can travel down the corridors where the wubba was, and travel down the tunnel in Once South Twice West. This disappoints me.

Lol, cough. Umm... yeah, secret room goes there... *runs*

Also there is a very ugly secret room in Mud Vein. It's not going to be in the final hold.

07-28-2007 at 12:41 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Legend of Master Hunter (My first released hold - I hope it isn't too hard...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com