Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Deflectomundo! (Our contest for February '06.)
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296
IP: Logged
icon Re: Deflectomundo! (+1)  
I crafted a snap-to-point thingy in Microsoft Word so I could easily draw lines and mirrors (and they would snap to points and stay centered and be easily deleted if I came up with a bad solution). Here's how that looked.

Click here to view the secret text

However, this puzzle must be relatively easy, cause I only needed to delete one set of laser lines and move one mirror, and I was expecting the actual solving to be a nightmarish procedure of undoing and redoing. I do expect something like that for the real challenge.

The Word setup took me about 7-10 minutes and the actual solving was 4-6 minutes, though I think a large chunk of that time was pure trepidation and confusion.

Sign me up for Puzzle 1, which for me is Sunday, 02-19-2006 7:00PM. A tip for others here, make sure you remember that if you live in -5 GMT (Eastern Standard Time) that you don't choose +5 GMT like I did. :lol
02-05-2006 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Deflectomundo! (0)  
KevG wrote:
I'm in. Do we have to declare ahead of time which round we'll play? I'd like to do round 3, but I can't guarantee I'll be home from work. If we have to declare ahead of time I'll be in round 4.
No, you don't have to declare in advance. Just as long as you submit an answer and it is for one puzzle only, you will be fine.

-Erik

02-05-2006 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
Hmm... Testing, testing... What time is it?
02-05-2006 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Puzzle number 4 sounds like a reasonable time for me. Count me in. (although I am a self proclaimed slow thinker. I think I am somewhere around the last page of fastest DROD players :) )
02-05-2006 at 08:36 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I started from the outside and worked my way in. It didn't take me long.

02-06-2006 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
Mattcrampy wrote:
I started from the outside and worked my way in. It didn't take me long.
Oh. Are you talking about eating a coconut? Opening a safe? Perhaps coloring in a circle?

[Last edited by Swivel at 02-06-2006 02:28 AM]
02-06-2006 at 02:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'll probably play puzzle #1, unless I forget.

02-06-2006 at 02:46 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1377
Well, even though Erik said we didn't need to sign up for doing one of the puzzles, I'll follow the trend of all the recent posters just in case and say I'll do either #1 or #2.
02-06-2006 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
I'd like to play, don't know which game set yet. It took me about 15-20 minutes but half was before the superbowl (which I stopped to watch :D ) then I finished after the superbowl.

Can we change the objects to DROD monsters :look

02-06-2006 at 04:05 AM
Svante
Rank Points: 169
This sounds fun, I'm in.
I know we shouldn't make computer programs that solve the puzzles, but can we create programs so we can solve it with graphics( like making a puzzle game of it).

-Svante
02-06-2006 at 09:25 AM
robin
Rank Points: 844
I'm in too, I want puzzle 3.
I got nightshift that week, so I can spend all day on it

02-06-2006 at 09:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
Enough people want puzzle #1, that I want to do #4 now. I know it doesn't matter.
02-06-2006 at 11:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
Svante wrote:
This sounds fun, I'm in.
I know we shouldn't make computer programs that solve the puzzles, but can we create programs so we can solve it with graphics( like making a puzzle game of it).

-Svante

It seems to me that, if everyone's to be on equal footing, everyone should have exactly the same equipment--presumably, pencil and paper. Even that sort of computer-assisted solving, where the computer's doing none of the logic but a lot of the keeping track of things, is much faster than solving on paper.
02-06-2006 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
Yeah, this makes it unfair for those of us who can't program. Well, can't program well, anyway.

02-06-2006 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Svante wrote:
This sounds fun, I'm in.
That seems unfair to me, unless maybe you made a web-based app that everyone could use.

-Erik

02-06-2006 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Deflectomundo! (+2)  
I'll play. I'm not going to commit to a time though. I took about 3 minutes to solve the sample one. I used 17 mirrors. It seems (at least with the current format) that it will be pretty simple to just guess A correct answer. Perhaps requiring more of a solution would make this a more difficult puzzle. For example, preplacing some of the mirrors that need to be placed or requiring that exactly x mirrors are used etc. But whatever the format, I'll play.

EDIT:
Also, my solution had an (seemingly) interesting property: If you draw all the laser beams in, each square is entered/exited in all four directions. For example, I have a / in A1. The beam for the check mark enters from the north, and exits west, while the beam from the eyeball enters from the east and leaves via the south. So all four directions are taken. Is this a general property of other solutions or is this a more unique property of my solution?

EDIT 2:
I think this must be a property of any solution of any puzzle of this sort. Does anybody have a rigorous proof?

[Last edited by stigant at 02-06-2006 07:48 PM]
02-06-2006 at 07:38 PM
Svante
Rank Points: 169
ErikH2000 wrote:
That seems unfair to me, unless maybe you made a web-based app that everyone could use.

-Erik

I'm not that good, so... *deletes file*

-Svante
02-06-2006 at 08:10 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3260
You *could* propably post the file here, so everyone can use it.
02-06-2006 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
stigant wrote:
Also, my solution had an (seemingly) interesting property: If you draw all the laser beams in, each square is entered/exited in all four directions. For example, I have a / in A1. The beam for the check mark enters from the north, and exits west, while the beam from the eyeball enters from the east and leaves via the south. So all four directions are taken. Is this a general property of other solutions or is this a more unique property of my solution?

I think this must be a property of any solution of any puzzle of this sort. Does anybody have a rigorous proof?
Start with a grid with no mirrors. Clearly each square is entered/exited in all directions. Now add a mirror. The beams entering that square will be deflected, but you'll still have beams entering/exiting in all four directions. Since no other square is affected in terms of whether or not beams enter/exit it mirrors are independent of each other in this respect. Therefore you can add as many mirrors as you want with out affecting the property.
02-06-2006 at 08:58 PM
Andy101
Rank Points: 222
KevG wrote:
Start with a grid with no mirrors. Clearly each square is entered/exited in all directions. Now add a mirror. The beams entering that square will be deflected, but you'll still have beams entering/exiting in all four directions. Since no other square is affected in terms of whether or not beams enter/exit it mirrors are independent of each other in this respect. Therefore you can add as many mirrors as you want with out affecting the property.
This is not quite correct, consider the case when mirrors form a closed loop as such:
/ \\
\\ /
There is no source of a beam within the loop, so there will be no beam bouncing off the insides of these four mirrors and hence four square edges with no beam going across them.

[Last edited by Andy101 at 02-06-2006 09:17 PM]
02-06-2006 at 09:12 PM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
Andy101 wrote:This is not quite correct,
Which is a nice polite way of saying "dead wrong" since the conjecture I was trying to prove isn't true. Nice catch.
02-06-2006 at 09:29 PM
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
I wish I could enter this competition but I'm going to be in New Zealand during those days and probably won't have access to the Internet.

Is there any possibility of puzzles earlier in the month?
02-06-2006 at 10:03 PM
NekoIncardine
Rank Points: 127
There's puzzles I'm good with, and puzzles I suck with.

This puzzle is strongly in the latter category, in spite of it's simple logical basis. I'm sitting this month's contest out.

02-07-2006 at 08:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Muiff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
I'm in for the contest, and I think I will do puzzle 3.

I got yet another solution for the puzzle:

02-07-2006 at 11:37 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Yet another solution (~3 min):

Not sure if I'll enter the contest, but if I do it'll be for puzzle 4.

- Gerry
02-07-2006 at 04:58 PM
ErikH2000
Mouse wrote:
Is there any possibility of puzzles earlier in the month?
Sorry, Mouse. It is a fair amount of work to make 4 puzzles, so I don't want to make more than that.

If anyone else wants to post some more practice puzzles here leading up to the contest, that might be interesting.

-Erik

02-07-2006 at 08:37 PM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 522
I think I'll enter...
I'll go for this one:

Puzzle 4 - Local Time:02-20-2006 at 06:00 PM

My first DROD Contest... I'm nervous... ^^
02-07-2006 at 09:30 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501

File: SamplePuzzle.jpg (49.6 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Public Domain
Hmm, it took me about 5 minutes to solve the testing puzzle. I used Gimp and came up with a different solution, but the same number of mirrors. I will go for Puzzle 3 if I remember it.

I change my pick to Puzzle 1. Can't make it in time for number 3.

[Last edited by Maurog at 02-19-2006 07:17 PM : Changing to Puzzle 1.]
02-08-2006 at 01:32 PM
ErikH2000
Change the puzzle requirements to use seven forward deflectors (/) and 5 backward deflectors (\\). Does that make the puzzle significantly harder? I ask this so I can get some idea of how to adjust the difficulty level for the contest puzzles.

-Erik

02-09-2006 at 12:08 AM
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
I don't think that that number of usable deflectors should be part of the requirements. After all, someone who starts in one place might inherently use less. Where you start is usually random (especially with a bigger puzzle), and someone who "got lucky" by starting elsewhere would not have to restart the puzzle, etc. It's just too large of a system to do that.

That's what I think, anyway. And you can quote me on that.

++Adam H. Peterson Swivel

02-09-2006 at 12:14 AM
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Deflectomundo! (Our contest for February '06.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com