Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : A few ideas (again!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon A few ideas (0)  
1. Explosives and denotator: Explosives are just like bombs, except they are activated by a detonator. By bumping in it, of course. They can only cut tar or mud (or sucky) by the weak spots. You can add any properties such as can be pulled, etc.

2. Sensor: this is like some kind of evil eye, but it shuts a door that is selected from the editor. They can also open doors if you want a "Don't be detected or you have to fight guards" room. Like an evil eye, you could know where they look. They can detect you more than once, so it could toggle a door too. You can add anything you want so it doesn't ressemble like the Wait for Evil Eye Woke command of script.

3. Wait for key pressed command: It waits for you to press a set key. Useful for a don't use 4, 8, 2 and 6 like room and make some kind of challenge.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-01-2005 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1305
icon Re: A few ideas (0)  
1. I dont see the point. Can mostly be done by scripting.
2. Can easily be done by scripting.
3. This would be a useful feature.
12-01-2005 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Actually, idea 1 is unique since bombs currently destroy tar and mud, regardless of whether it's vulnerable. But the other aspects of explosives are mostly redundant and I don't see any really good puzzles it would enable.

For idea 2, I'd prefer adding something like pressure plates into the game. It would do essentially the same job (in conjunction with normal Evil Eyes) as Sensors but it would also be more versatile. We can currently do stuff like this with scripting, but I think pressure plates would be an easy win for an item to be moved out of scripting since they'd be more recognizable as their own element.

WRT idea 3, I much prefer doing this stuff with mimic type restrictions (a mimic placed somewhere can't get on a certain spot or room becomes unsolvable). You can't exactly get the same behavior, but a puzzle based on this type of mechanism just seems to me like it would be hard to understand. That's why I prefer getting good puzzle elements out of scripting and into visible elements when practical. They're just easier to understand.

++Adam H. Peterson
12-02-2005 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Don't forget it can also use the 5 key, which you can't mimic with a mimic. Like, waiting once makes the level impossible.

And also, use the space button to do like in a few RPGs, such as opening a door or talk to characters. Cool, ain't it?

Well, i know DROD isn't an RPG, but maybe some would like to do an RPG out of DROD.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-02-2005 at 01:14 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Don't forget it can also use the 5 key, which you can't mimic with a mimic. Like, waiting once makes the level impossible.

And also, use the space button to do like in a few RPGs, such as opening a door or talk to characters. Cool, ain't it?
These two uses would be incompatible with each other. Some people may use the space bar as their "wait" key. And in my case, none of the keys I use match up with their original mappings so it would be no restriction for me to not press the "2" key since for me moving south is done with the "w" key.

++Adam H. Peterson
12-02-2005 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Well, in that case, a general "Wait for southward movement" or "Wait for northwestern movement" would be better.

12-02-2005 at 02:10 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : A few ideas (again!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com