Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Smitemaster's Selection II (A second post for prospective hold authors.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection II (0)  
yyw wrote:
From what Erik said, it seems that he is trying to encourage submissions. From what Eytan said, it seems that Erik is not. My question was based on the assumption that Erik wants more submissions. It's asking about the unpublished rule.

I understand Eytan's side. What does Erik say?

--yyw

[Edited by yyw at Local Time:04-18-2005 at 09:19 PM]

I wasn't saying that submissions aren't encouraged. I said that viewing the submission process as a contest is missing the point. As Erik said, there is a balance here, and it isn't as simple as "more submissions are good" or "more submissions are bad".

Basically, what is best is if there are good holds submitted, AND good holds released publically. The Smitemaster's selection is not intended to be, nor should ever become, the only avenue for good holds. So, the requirements are designed so that for each hold that's submitted, at least good one non-Smitemaster's selection hold must exist. Finding ways to get around that is what is not encouraged.

04-18-2005 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
I intend to get something submited to smitemasters...however I have a question. When would you like these submited by? cause I still have to get a regular hold rated 8+. :D
04-22-2005 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Chalks wrote:
I intend to get something submited to smitemasters...however I have a question. When would you like these submited by? cause I still have to get a regular hold rated 8+. :D
It will be an ongoing struggle. You can join the Movement at any time, but only if you are ready.

-Erik

04-22-2005 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
woot.

I can't wait. :w00t
04-22-2005 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Hmm... Would any currently 8+ authors like to collaborate with me? To avoid cluttering the board, please PM me. Not to sound high and mighty, but I'll choose whoever I like, so don't beg. :)
04-23-2005 at 05:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Sorry if, as usual, I'm completely missing the point here, but is it now impossible to simply upload our own holds for public consumption (to the holds board)? Do all holds have to go through this procedure?

04-26-2005 at 10:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection II (+1)  
The selection doesn't change anything at all. It's only an option for ambitious hold makers. You can still submit your holds for public use.

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:04-26-2005 at 11:07 AM]
04-26-2005 at 11:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Oh, ok, thanks. I had just assumed the Smitemaster's Selection stuff was the explanation for this: "Uploading holds is temporarily disabled. This will be fixed soon."

Any idea when this will be fixed?

04-26-2005 at 03:32 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=5936

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-26-2005 at 04:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I am the digital necromancer! Bow before me, or become my latest... er... necromancing (after I kill you)!

Anyway, I have a question. If
ErikH2000 wrote: * Hold must include a full set of victory demos that work
why did we have the issue wherein Beethro's Teacher needed fixing for impossible rooms?

11-15-2006 at 11:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Jatopian wrote:
Anyway, I have a question. If
ErikH2000 wrote: * Hold must include a full set of victory demos that work
why did we have the issue wherein Beethro's Teacher needed fixing for impossible rooms?

If I remember correctly (and it's possible I don't), what happened is that at the time BT was submitted for SmS all of its rooms worked. Then, Erik asked for some changes to the hold to be made in order for the story to be put in, and those changes broke a few rooms, which were not tested properly before the hold was released (which was Caravel's fault, not Doom's).

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-16-2006 12:03 AM]
11-16-2006 at 12:02 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Smitemaster's Selection II (A second post for prospective hold authors.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com