Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : King Nareik's Dungeon {Published!} (Architect's Edition hold)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
IP: Logged
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {v13 - TSS version - 21/10/18} (+2)  
Well I decided not to hang around and just do the upgrade to the TSS version, and it was a lot quicker than I thought it might be.

Attached to the opening post is v13 of the hold, which is now a TSS hold. Don't worry, if you want to keep playing this in an engine other than The Second Sky, v13 of the AE hold is attached to the second post.

In order to do the upgrade, I exported my player from AE and edited the hold directly, which means that this should still have the same hold ID and players playing the AE version in TSS should upgrade without issues. However, to play it safe, I'd recommend you export all your demos and post them in this thread before upgrading just in case it thinks it's a different hold for whatever reason and wipes all your demos.

At this point the entire hold is finished, and there is nothing left to do, except for fix room bugs that might get found during testing so please, if you have any comments or any demos to post, please do so. To everybody who has already posted, thank you very much. Both versions of the hold will be updated with any fixes from now on.

v13 changelog:
* New TSS version. Looks nicer, scripted challenges and properly marked secret rooms.
* Now has an ending!
* Moved Warp Room to start of first level and removed entrance at the start of each level. This will remain in the published version of the hold in this state, but means you now have to start a new game to access the warp room.
Level 12 - 1N: Prevent South-facing eye from seeing the player from main path.
Level 18 - Entrance: Tweaked to make it a better puzzle.
Level 18 - 1S1W: Added force Arrow to prevent unintended solution.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 10-21-2018 03:34 PM]
10-21-2018 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {v14 - 04/11/18} (+2)  
I have played through the entire TSS version, checking all challenge scripts and producing a demo pack for the eventual publication. While doing this, I made a few minor tweaks. Both the TSS and AE versions of the hold have been updated.

v14 changelog:
* Seventh Level 2N1E: Minor tweaks to make both challenge and regular solutions a bit better.
* Fourteenth Level 2E: Fixed mistake in challenge scripting.
* Seventeenth Level 1S2E & 1S3E: A number of sizeable tweaks to make puzzle easier to perform and less misleading.
* Mysterious Tunnel Network 3N: Tweaked monster movement order to make things work more easily, plus minor tweak to that makes me happier with overall room structure.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 11-04-2018 10:12 PM]
11-04-2018 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590

File: King Nareiks Dungeon AE.demo (48.2 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {v14 - 04/11/18} (+5)  
Kieran wanted to see my demo for 12:1S1W, so I'll break my usual custom and post demos first, then start to write up comments :P

This pack includes Levels 10, 11 and 12 with all challenges, but I haven't solved the L11 or L12 secret yet.

Level 10

Click here to view the secret text

Level 11

Level 12

I've also peeked ahead and completely solved Level 14, so I might have another batch of demos to post soon :)

[Last edited by Nuntar at 11-07-2018 11:13 PM]
11-07-2018 at 10:13 PM
kieranmillar
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {v15 - 10/11/18} (+2)  
Another version with more fixes and improvements thanks to Nuntar and Chaco's testing!

v15 changelog:
* First Level 1S: Fix "Seprent" typo
* Tenth Level 1S2E: More checkpoints.
* Twelfth Level 1S1W: Added notch into wall to prevent unintended solution. Also added some more checkpoints.
* Twelfth Level 1E: TSS version only - added checkpoint.
* Fourteenth Level 2E: Put open yellow doors underneath each potion as a reminder where it was if you've already collected it.
* Seventeenth Level 1W: TSS version only - challenge requires you to be able to leave the room and is awarded when you step on the green door.
* Eighteenth Level 1N: Fixed two unintended solutions.
* Eighteenth Level 1W and 2W: Solution is now ever so slightly different to fix unintended solution.
* Eighteenth Level 1S: Sizeable changes to fix unintended solution.
* Eighteenth Level 1S1E: Fixed unintended solution.
* Epicentre 1N: Added challenge + extremely minor room change to accomodate this. (A shame that this leaves all but one level with a challenge, and the total is 19. I might add a challenge to record the player reaching the end of the hold just to round it all to 20 to fit my aesthetic tendencies.)
11-10-2018 at 07:09 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590

File: King Nareiks Dungeon AE.demo (58.2 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {v15 - 10/11/18} (+5)  
More demos and feedback!

Level 13

Level 14

[Last edited by Nuntar at 11-14-2018 10:32 PM]
11-14-2018 at 10:29 PM
kieranmillar
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {v15 - 10/11/18} (+1)  
Thanks Nuntar!

Personally I think level 13 is the weakest level. In hindsight some of the rooms are just basic concepts in their purest form that have been seen many times before. However I'm not willing to make major changes at this stage because they are not broken, and they are easy enough to waltz straight through for experienced players. However I will adjust 1N1E to be less repetitive. I knew 1N would be a divisive room, but I think it's unique and enjoy it myself, but that might only be because I made it :p . Am surprised you found 1S1E trivial, there is some required mimic movement order going on there and it usually takes people a bit longer. One of the weakest rooms honestly.

In Level 14 1S1E

Also, in the TSS version only I will change it to a spider level with vision tokens, because why not? In AE they were hard to look at, but no such issues in TSS.
11-14-2018 at 10:58 PM
kieranmillar
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {v16 - 14/11/18} (+2)  
Thanks to NoahT and Nuntar for more testing!

v16 changelog:
* Added NoahT to testers scroll in First Level Entrance
* Seventh Level 2N2E - fixed unintended solution
* Thirteenth Level 1N1E - Made 2 rows and columns smaller to make room less repetitive.
* Thirteenth Level 1W & 2W - More checkpoints.
* Fourteenth Level - TSS version only - Now a spider level, but with vision tokens. Entrance room maintains its dumb joke and so has no vision token. Level entrance text and warp room description have changed.
* Eighteenth Level 1N - fixed more unintended solutions
* Mysterious Tunnel Network 6N - TSS version only - Added challenge behind a master wall.
11-14-2018 at 11:20 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133

File: KNDA Epicentre 2N1E Victory.demo (23.8 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {v16 - 14/11/18} (+2)  
Some Epicentre comments:

EDIT: Attached demo for my solution to 2N1E.

My stuff:

[Last edited by NoahT at 11-20-2018 11:26 PM]
11-20-2018 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {v16 - 14/11/18} (+5)  
I replayed the whole hold in v15. It is somewhat interesting, though possibly off-topic to review which rooms I just solved and which I looked at my old demo, and which I remembered and which I solved from scratch.

If you want comments on other rooms, ask.

11-22-2018 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {v16 - 14/11/18} (+1)  
Hi bbb, thanks again for the playing and comments.

I would look to look into some of them further, are you able to export all of your demos and attach them for me so I can see your solutions? I don't mind about old broken demos from rooms prior to being changed so just hitting the Export All button works for me.

Thanks.
11-22-2018 at 10:14 PM
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215

File: King Nareiks Dungeon.demo (242.5 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {v16 - 14/11/18} (+5)  
Which rooms did I break?
12-16-2018 at 02:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {v17 - 04/04/19} (+5)  
Finally, after a pretty crazy last 6 months I finally had some time to get back to this, and have made a major update based on bbb's demos and Chaco's livestreams. Version 17 is hopefully the final version, but as always there may be more breaks still.

-----

v17 changelog:
* 5:1E - Deleted room. This room relied on serpent movement preferences and was a weak room in an otherwise very good level (in my humble opinion), so I just got rid of it.

* 7:2N2E - Northern passageway is now all trapdoors.

* 12:1S1W - Tweaked area around brain to kill fiddly unintended solution while improving execution of intended solution.

* 13:1S1W - Trapdoors placed underneath Tar to allow for easier mimic manipulation.

* 15:1E - Added some trapdoors + minor terrain tweaks to make room a bit more intended.
* 15:1S1E TSS Version Only - Fixed challenge triggering incorrectly
* 15:2S and 2S1E - Deleted rooms. These rooms were very fiddly giving the wrong kind of difficulty, not enjoyable, and could be broken with tar baby flooding anyway.
* 15:2S - New secret room.

* 17:2S - Moved entrance of long twisty path further to the West.
* 17:2E - Put force arrow at end of each 2 trapdoor passageway so can't place mimic there.

* 18:1S1E - Placed force arrows to block player entering Goblin starting closet.
* 18:1N1E - Put trapdoors under both Tar Mother eyes (with scroll stating as such in AE version, and vision token in TSS version).
* 18:1S1W - Removed Evil Eye and challenge, thereby enforcing challenge version of room as only solution.
* 18:1S - Tweaked to make execution easier.
* 18:2W - Made a challenge to enforce the intended solution because I couldn't figure out any other way to do it.
* 18:1N - Evil Eye corridor now all trapdoors.

* E:2N1E - Numerous small changes.
* E:1N - Tar Mother area's Western wall moved back one tile.

* M:1N - Lots of changes to try and enforce intended solution. Had to add more orbs and doors sadly.
* M:3N - In the Evil Eye quadrant, the North-centre force arrow has been moved South one tile.
* M:6N TSS Version Only - As challenges are verified via demo, and demos fail if moving over a master wall, moved the post-mastery challenge scroll to its own room.
04-04-2019 at 05:41 PM
kieranmillar
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {v17 - 04/04/19} (0)  
Out of interest, is there anybody currently testing this or hoping to get around to testing it at some point?

Not trying to rush anyone if so, I'm happy to wait. But if not, I'll be looking to push this to the HA queue.
05-04-2019 at 01:17 PM
kieranmillar
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {Submitted to HA} (0)  
I'll take that as a no.

This has now been submitted to the HAs. Thanks everyone, see you on the Holds board!
05-07-2019 at 09:15 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {Submitted to HA} (+2)  
Quick typo to point out: In Tenth Level The Entrance, the first scroll says "Serpents will attmept" instead of "Serpents will attempt".

I'll update this post if I find anything else.

05-09-2019 at 07:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624

File: KND Eighteenth Level 2W Victory.demo (6.8 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
As requested, here's a demo for Level 18 2W (as of the latest version submitted to HA review). It completes the challenge and conquers the room.

05-09-2019 at 10:41 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: KNDA Eighteenth Level 1N Victory.demo (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
icon Re: King Nareik's Dungeon {Submitted to HA} (0)  
Demo for L18:1N (recorded in AE, but imports into TSS ok)
07-25-2019 at 03:36 AM
kieranmillar
vFinal changelog:
*01: Ent - Added Rabscuttle to thanks scroll.
*08: 1S & 1S1W - Added a force arrow trap to fix unintended solution and moved checkpoint.
*09: 2S - Fixed unintended solution.
*10: Ent - Fix typos on scrolls.
*11: 1N1W - Extra checkpoint.
*16: 1S1W - Extra checkpoint.
*18: 1N - Fixed unintended solution.
*18: 1W & 2W - Added force arrow to fix unintended solution.
*E: 1N TSS version only - Moved challenge scroll out of room to prevent unintended solution via unbraining.
*M: 1N - Extra checkpoint.
07-27-2019 at 12:13 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : King Nareik's Dungeon {Published!} (Architect's Edition hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com