Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Diago Squares
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DimWiddy
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 85
IP: Logged
icon Diago Squares (0)  
Basically the same as an ortho square, but the opposite. You can't step on or off it in an orthogonal direction.

[Last edited by DimWiddy at 06-18-2015 03:16 AM]
06-18-2015 at 03:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Diago Squares (+1)  
DimWiddy wrote:
Basically the same as an ortho square, but the opposite. You can't step on or off it in an orthogonal direction.

It's a good idea, but there is already a FR page for it. This is a good one to bump though since it would be quite interesting.

The previous FR thread can be found here:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=33193

[Last edited by Insoluble at 06-18-2015 04:26 AM]
06-18-2015 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DimWiddy
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 85
icon Re: Diago Squares (0)  
Wow, right down to the name diagosquares too. I thought "why hasn't anyone thought of this?" Well, guess they did.

06-18-2015 at 04:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
I bet skell could script this.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
06-18-2015 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
I don't believe there's any kind of script that can *stop* movement, unfortunately. The best you could do is either kill the player if they attempt an illegal move (frustrating) or move the player back to where they started (unsatisfying, as you could still kill a monster by doing that). Plus, there would be times where you'd want to bump against the edge.
06-18-2015 at 01:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Yeah, these would be nice to have in some odd situations where you might still want stuff to exist in the intervening squares, or else maybe you want to make use of the two overlapping diagonals. Orthosquares seemed like a bit of an oddity in JtRH, mostly only useful for movement restrictions, but we've come up with a lot of strange but good uses for them, so I'm sure diagosquares could see similar experimentation.

You can sort-of implement them using a fegundo and a swordless player role, but that obviously constrains what kinds of room you can make:

Imperial Wandering : S.A.B.E.R.S. Chambers : 2 South, 2 East

06-18-2015 at 03:40 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Diago Squares (+1)  
I just realized that with diago squares, one could have a single stationary queen spawn 8 roaches per cycle with a simple setup:
O.O
.D.
O.O
The diago square forbids orthogonal movement, but every diagonal move is blocked with an orthosquare. This means the roach queen will never ever move from that spot.

But someone probably already said that before me so nevermind.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

06-19-2015 at 04:39 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Diago Squares
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com