Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Adventure of Nevada Smith (An easy hold with audio and a simple story)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
IP: Logged

File: The Adventure of Nevada Smith.hold (3.6 MB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Adventure of Nevada Smith (+3)  
So this is my attempt at making an easy hold that is hopefully also fun to play (similar to Great Uncle Yurgess). Hopefully something that could be recommended to beginners.

If anyone plays through it, please let me know if the clues/riddles are too difficult. The killing of the enemies themselves should not be. Any feedback is welcome.

It does have extensive voice acting so please turn on the audio. Thanks and enjoy! :)

[Last edited by west.logan at 03-08-2012 04:56 PM]
03-02-2012 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
icon Re: The Adventure of Nevada Smith (+1)  
Well, it's simple and short, but I like it. Well done and I like the way you worked out your puzzle clues. I do have two comments though.

Island Temple
Entrance - I don't know if you intended for it to be so easy, but you can beat the room without hitting the orbs. If you want it to be trickier, just turn the end arrows diagonal.
1W - After getting past the serpents, Beethro mentions seeing some scroll. I never saw that scroll until after finishing the room. You should have it recognize when you haven't read the scroll and adjust the comment accordingly.

Click here to view the secret text

03-02-2012 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Like what I've seen and heard so far.
Is it intentional that pretty much all the speech repeats?

How do I enter the sacred numbers (I'm pretty sure I've got them)

Edit: Very weird - If I play the room in the editor, it works, but not if I play it normally.
Huh?

[Last edited by Jacob at 03-02-2012 11:54 PM]
03-02-2012 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
icon Re: The Adventure of Nevada Smith (0)  
Jacob wrote:
It's center centric.

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 03-02-2012 11:48 PM]
03-02-2012 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Jacob wrote:
Like what I've seen and heard so far.
Is it intentional that pretty much all the speech repeats?

Quite a bit of the speech repeats (citizens, scrolls, etc) but I tried to make speech not repeat for certain things (asking you to kill a roach, commenting on how this is creepy, etc)

Actually, you don't have to return to the center to do the numbers, just step on the tiles in order (without crossing other numbers) should do it. Then the next move triggers the door.

quote]Garlonuss wrote:
Entrance - I don't know if you intended for it to be so easy, but you can beat the room without hitting the orbs. If you want it to be trickier, just turn the end arrows diagonal.
1W - After getting past the serpents, Beethro mentions seeing some scroll. I never saw that scroll until after finishing the room. You should have it recognize when you haven't read the scroll and adjust the comment accordingly.
Ah, good catch on the entrance. As far as the serpents/scroll comment, I actually intended it to be something of a "whoops" to the player if they did do the room without finding the hint first :)
Though perhaps I should put something at the entrance to that room that encourages them to explore to the east first. "I got a gut feeling I should go east".

03-02-2012 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Jacob wrote:
Edit: Very weird - If I play the room in the editor, it works, but not if I play it normally.
Huh?

I played through it myself before I submitted it. It should work in the regular hold. I'll have to check to see if that NPC's script ended or something if you exited the room. That would be a bummer :(

Edit: I just realized that I intended on the player going for the scroll and then entering numbers. So going to the center activates the sequence. If you tried going to the 4 first then that wouldn't work.

[Last edited by west.logan at 03-03-2012 12:04 AM]
03-02-2012 at 11:59 PM
Jacob
Figured it out. The variable does not reset.
It wasn't working for me because it was just accumulating all my tries.
Hence it worked in the editor and when I tried it again after restoring to the previous room.

Btw, you don't need the secret passage in that room.

[Last edited by Jacob at 03-03-2012 12:12 AM]
03-03-2012 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Ah yes, I figured that out just a moment ago. I'm going to initialize it. Thanks!

That's fine if the secret tunnel isn't necessary, I just figured it would make things easier :)

03-03-2012 at 12:14 AM
west.logan
I've fixed a few things and uploaded (no need to re-test):

-Added speech on the west side of the dungeon entrance to encourage player to go east.

-Changed two down arrows to diagonal in the entrance

-Reset the sacred number variable so leaving the room should reset it.

[Last edited by west.logan at 03-03-2012 12:21 AM]
03-03-2012 at 12:20 AM
Jacob
One more US.

Island Temple 1S2E - it's possible to kill the tar without opening/closing any doors. This is fine, but then Beethro still says "I've got him on the ropes" when you hit the orb, even if "he" is dead.

Might be worth using variables to change the entrance texts when you are returning to places, and to end the hold if you choose to go home rather than join the shadowy organisation (otherwise it's not really a choice).

All in all, a cool hold that's entertaining but not too hard. I hope you expand it.

03-03-2012 at 12:25 AM
west.logan
Thank you very much. I thought I had fixed all entrances to the tar mother but you're right. I think I've got that now with some oremite.

Was there an entrance text in particular you are referring to? I thought I had almost all of those clear once the player left the room.

And as to ending once the player left, I think I could do that but is there a way to have different ending texts? I also figured it would be something like a Zelda game: you're given a choice but really you can only do one thing.

03-03-2012 at 12:37 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I GET IT

IT'S A PLAY ON INDIANA JONES

edit: You have a fine goal here and I support it.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-03-2012 05:36 AM]
03-03-2012 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Also, some more checkpoints in that tar room would be nice, if only to prevent having to repeatedly hear the same speech, but also cos it's one of the tougher rooms.

03-03-2012 at 11:13 AM
west.logan
I currently have three checkpoints. Do you have suggestions as to where an additional one would be?

Also, you mentioned expanding. Do you think it's too short and should have more dungeons within this hold?

03-03-2012 at 01:25 PM
west.logan
Latest version:

I added an additional checkpoint in the boss room (though I'm not sure it's necessary), re-worked a few of the lines to be shorter or sound better, made sure speech ends on exit (except for townfolk) and added an additional small room to the overworld.

I'm happy with how it is but will wait a day or two to submit.

03-08-2012 at 04:43 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Adventure of Nevada Smith (An easy hold with audio and a simple story)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com