Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Complication (Finished hold, 100% tested difficult, just one room, and best for the smart DROD players)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bungeezombie
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged

File: Complication.hold (2.4 KB)
Downloaded 71 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Complication (+2)  
This is a one room hold, but the room is very difficult but not impossible, 100% tested by me

Please enjoy my FIRST hold I ever published in the caravel Forum

2 new holds are almost done that will be ready to publish also :w00t
08-26-2011 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626

File: C Complicationally Complicated The Entrance Victory.demo (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
icon Re: Complication (+2)  
Very difficult? I only found this room mildly confusing to start with, but it was actually pretty easy to complete once I understood what was in the room.

You actually gave me a few too many resources, I think - I used a clone potion to kill the Aumtlich, which I don't think was what you wanted me to do. And I had a spare decoy to use to completely deactivate the briar timer.

Still, I thought this was an OK room to start out with - a bit messy-looking with all the different parts and chambers, but alright as far as the fairness of the room. I don't like the darkness being used in the serpent chamber - it really doesn't accomplish anything as far as making the room look better or hiding, and it's usually frowned upon to use darkness to hide important room details anyway.

Have you played any other user holds? There are some fiendishly difficult puzzles and tough horde management rooms out there, some of which have only been beaten by a two-digit number of people.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-26-2011 01:49 AM]
08-26-2011 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170

File: C Complicationally Complicated The Entrance Victory.demo (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
icon Re: Complication (+3)  
Hi bungee!

It's great to see more people who are interested in making holds. :)

I played your room. Since I am a lazy player, I bypassed most of the door opening problems in your room, and took the easy way out.

You can place clones (and other doubles) on open green doors. So I just made sure all the monsters were dead before I got to the clone potion, and used it to make a quick exit. It's not necessary to open the black door, red doors, or most of the yellow doors in your hold.

Here's a demo, so you can see all the things I skipped when solving your room.

Rabbit
08-26-2011 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bungeezombie
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: Complication (0)  
Thank you for the encouragement curious shy rabbit I may be those people who make holds all the time

I'm nearly done my second hold and maybe this will give you guys more time to investigate

I'm a beginner in DROD and this new hold will be one of my best ones!
(In my opinion)

Click here to view the secret text

08-27-2011 at 06:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
icon Re: Complication (+1)  
I'm glad you feel encouraged, bungee, but why did you just submit your hold?

The demos above show that it is almost completely broken. The next step is to improve your hold, based on the feedback received. When you submit a hold to the Holds board, after it is approved, it will stay there permanently. Even if later you feel embarrassed about leaving all those unintended solutions in, you will not be able to change it.
08-27-2011 at 08:34 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Hi Bungee,

You may have noticed that this submitted hold is not going anywhere. That's because I want to be sure you've read and understood my message above.

If you want your broken hold on the Holds board, fine, we can proceed. However, even after more and more players post messages about how broken it is, you will not be able to change it.

If you'd like to work on it some more, and try to force players to use your intended complicated solution, that's fine too. Just let us know, and we'll remove it from the HA queue for now.

Rabbit
09-07-2011 at 09:34 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I find that it usually pays to listen to the Rabbit's recommendations, bungeezombie.

09-08-2011 at 02:30 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Complication (Finished hold, 100% tested difficult, just one room, and best for the smart DROD players)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com