Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Battleships Free-For-All 2
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All 2 (0)  
Oh, I was just talking about your jest here:
Pekka wrote:
People playing on transposed grids will be sunk first! ;)

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
08-16-2011 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
Yes, I understood that. I was trying to jest again, but perhaps it was a bit too uninspired. Let's carry on, shall we? :)
08-16-2011 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All 2 (+2)  

08-17-2011 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
brian_s
Rank Points: 587

File: Round 4 Results.JPG (62.5 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All 2 - Round 4 Results/Round 5 Begins (+2)  
Results for round 4 are attached. It is official, 12th Archivist is the first to be sunk! There were multiple duplicate shots fired this time.

Round 5 begins now. The deadline for this round is Saturday August 20th 12:00 noon Central time - roughly 48 hours from now.

If you are not already doing so, please doublecheck my composite to ensure your shots were recorded. Noma found one of hers I missed from round 2, so I added it in this round.
If I make any more omissions of your shots, tell me by PM and I'll add it in the next round.
08-18-2011 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
I am extending the deadline for this round to 12:00 noon tomorrow.
08-20-2011 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I just want to know if I've hit myself yet.
08-21-2011 at 06:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s

File: Round 5 Results.JPG (62.8 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All 2 - Round 6 Begins (+2)  
Results from Round 5 attached, Chaco is the second player sunk.

Round 6 begins now. The deadline for this round is Tuesday August 23th 12:00 noon Central time - roughly 48 hours from now.

Banjooie, you have hit yourself once so far.
08-21-2011 at 05:54 PM
Pekka
Uh oh. I have a bad feeling about this.
08-21-2011 at 06:46 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3630
Pekka wrote:

Heh heh heh. You can partially blame me for managing to find that ship down at J14. I actually managed to get a perfect 3 hits for 3 shots with my last volley, so I really made them count.

It'll be interesting to watch the remaining turns play out.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-21-2011 07:01 PM]
08-21-2011 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Hahaha, well, I'm sunk, pretty clearly, soon as someone can be bothered to fire those last shots.

Definitely worth the chuckle of my theory of 'fire randomly'. Also, I lol'd pretty hard at the fact I did successfully hit myself.
08-22-2011 at 06:09 AM
Pekka
Chaco wrote:
Pekka wrote:

Heh heh heh. You can partially blame me for managing to find that ship down at J14. I actually managed to get a perfect 3 hits for 3 shots with my last volley, so I really made them count.

It'll be interesting to watch the remaining turns play out.

You can blame me for something too. My very first shot in this game was A2 and it seemingly contributed towards hastening the sinking of your ship in the upper left corner. I never fired a single shot directly at it, though.

I'm also responsible for some of the shots on the right side that hit Banjooie's ships, which I kind of regret. I would have loved to see Banjooie among the last three or two players in the game with his random strategy :)
08-22-2011 at 07:28 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I haven't been bothered to aim for Banjooie. I can't imagine anyone doing so unless they think he's plotting some treachery with the collusion of brian_s

08-22-2011 at 06:17 PM
brian_s

File: Round 6 Results.JPG (69.6 KB)
Downloaded 405 times.
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All 2 - Round 7 (+2)  
Results from Round 6 attached.

Round 7 begins now. The deadline for this round is Tuesday August 25th 12:00 noon Central time - roughly 48 hours from now.
08-23-2011 at 06:26 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All 2 - Round 7 (0)  
brian_s wrote:
Results from Round 6 attached.

Round 7 begins now. The deadline for this round is Tuesday August 25th 12:00 noon Central time - roughly 48 hours from now.
Think you mean Thursday August 25.
08-23-2011 at 08:24 PM
Jatopian
08-23-2011 at 09:30 PM
Pekka
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All 2 (+1)  
I'd like to make a public statement. If you sink Banjooie before me, it kind of implies he is more of a threat with his random shots than I am with my aimed ones. You might worry if I'd find that offensive.

Let me reassure you.

I will not find that offensive at all. On the contrary. I will even repay the kindness by not firing more than three shots back at you on any single turn. If that is not a show of restraint, I don't know what is.

(You can also sink someone else. Even Someone Else.)

:cool
08-24-2011 at 07:06 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1315
Pekka wrote:
(You can also sink someone else. Even Someone Else.)
:(
08-24-2011 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Theoretically, everyone with all ship locations known should be trying to locate noma and Jatopian's remaining ships (and they should be trying to eliminate the rest of us)
08-25-2011 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
But of course reverse order is the name of the game. Well, not the actual name of this game, but still a highly effective strategy in my opinion.
08-25-2011 at 02:45 AM
Jatopian
I don't see how shooting at unknown spaces is more productive than attacking known ship locations. If even one player doesn't go along with your tacit cooperation, that player is getting a far more assured advantage over you than you are over noma or me.

Somehow, this all reminds me of Microeconomics class.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 08-25-2011 07:23 AM]
08-25-2011 at 07:12 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Well, if there are two fully revealed players (FR1, FR2) and one player still partially hidden (PH)

If FR1 eliminates FR2 then PH will almost definitely win.
And vice versa for FR2

If FR1 and FR2 both do searching shots instead of killing shots, then they are more likely to find PH's ship before they both get wiped out.

The other player both contributes as extra searching and as a kind of meat-shield (for whoever doesn't get attacked first by PH)

--

But yeah, with more players it does get more Prisoner's Dilemma-y. Cheating can be worth it (as long as you're the only one doing it) :)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 08-25-2011 08:47 AM]
08-25-2011 at 08:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s

File: Round 7 Results.JPG (72.8 KB)
Downloaded 257 times.
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All 2 - Round 8 (+2)  
Round 7 results attached. Pekka is the latest player eliminated. Three different opponents dedicated shots to ensure Pekka's last ship sank.

Round 8 begins now, PMs are due at 12:00 noon Saturday August 27th.
08-25-2011 at 05:14 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608

08-25-2011 at 05:53 PM
Pekka
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All 2 - Round 8 (0)  
brian_s wrote:
Pekka is the latest player eliminated. Three different opponents dedicated shots to ensure Pekka's last ship sank.

Well, this turned out to be the weak point in my master plan. At least it'll be entertaining to see how the game goes on. :)
08-25-2011 at 06:11 PM
Banjooie
I know it'll never happen but I've hit myself twice--if I sink myself out of this game I am going to be wholly satisfied.

I am completely okay with being fourth to go, though.
08-25-2011 at 07:20 PM
brian_s

File: Round 8 Results.JPG (68.5 KB)
Downloaded 193 times.
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All 2 - Round 9 (+2)  
Round 8 results attached. You guys were out for blood - three players eliminated! Rabscuttle, Someone Else, and Banjooie are all sunk. Only Noma, Jatopian, and Maurog are still afloat.

For Round 9, the one shot at a time rule takes place. That is I will check for eliminated players after each person's first shot, then again for the second shot, and then again for the third shot. Effectively three one shot rounds will play out.

Round 9 begins now, PMs are due at 12:00 noon Monday August 29th.
08-27-2011 at 05:04 PM
Jatopian
08-27-2011 at 09:06 PM
brian_s

File: Round 9 Results.JPG (73.5 KB)
Downloaded 128 times.
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All 2 - Round 9 Results (+2)  
Since all three remaining players were quite prompt with their PMs, I will post the results now. Maurog came in third and was elimintated after the second volley of shots. After the final volley of shots, Jatopian is hanging on by a thread with a single ship segment undamaged, whereas noma still has three undamaged segments on two ships still afloat. Therefore I declare Noma the winner! :tcaptain :hooray

I want to thank all the players for being prompt with their PM submissions through the last month. I like being able to keep the game moving at a good speed and your timely submissions allowed that to happen.
08-28-2011 at 04:13 PM
noma
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All 2 (+5)  

Well it was mostly (all?) luck, I guess. I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised; I had a feeling I'd get eliminated this round, leaving Jatopian with the last ship floating. Thanks Brian for running the game! :)
08-28-2011 at 07:59 PM
Jatopian
If Maurog and I had both played intelligently a la Prisoner's Dilemma, we'd have collaborated to sink you. I, however, chose to ensure my loss rather than leaving my fate to your discretion.

Perhaps if I didn't think of my fleet as robotic constructs things would have gone differently.

08-28-2011 at 09:31 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Battleships Free-For-All 2
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com