Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Sky Bug (wherein I squawk vociferously that the sky is falling)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
IP: Logged

File: Sky Bug.JPG (121.3 KB)
Downloaded 84 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Sky Bug (+1)  
Sky bug: apparently, a known issue.

The screen refreshes in strips of reversed lighting from right to left. This seems to only happen when outdoors is checked. It affects the ground, which is not too obvious, but it's very obvious when it affects the water, as the lighting on the water is clearly reversed mid-screen (and the stripping effect is slow and visible).

Screenshot attached. Spoiler: it's Island One of Archipelago, and specifically, a very amusing FAIL of mine at the very end of an optimize run. (I thought it'd make for the best capture...)

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

07-20-2011 at 03:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: Sky Bug (+3)  
This should be fixed in 3.3.0.91. Spent some time tracking down the source, and it seemed to be a UINT => sint16 conversion issue, causing an overflow. This affected fog, sky reflection and cloud shadows, but cloud shadows overflowed first. I think it took something like 90 minutes of playtime for cloud shadows to overflow, causing a seam to be visible when that happened. (Amount of time before it happened varies slightly, since cloud speed is based on frame speed.)

The conversion issue has been fixed, so if an overflow is going to happen now, it won't be until after years of consecutive playtime (and I'm sure we'll have something worse to worry about at that point).
07-27-2011 at 11:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Sky Bug (0)  
Not if you do what I do and hit Escape to quit

07-28-2011 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Yeah but Strout is still annoying with his dialog box that you can't just kill. Clicking the x button should work the same as hitting Escape a bunch of times if you ask me.

07-28-2011 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
Jatopian wrote:
Yeah but Strout is still annoying with his dialog box that you can't just kill.
I usually quit by pressing Q then E. Danforth starts talking after the Q, but pressing E before the dialog box appears shuts him up.
07-28-2011 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
If you press ESC to stop playing, doesn't that skip him entirely?

[Last edited by west.logan at 07-29-2011 09:28 PM]
07-29-2011 at 09:28 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
west.logan wrote:
If you press ESC to stop playing, doesn't that skip him entirely?
Yeah, it does that exactly. It's what I usually use to quit DROD. (I liked Danforth in the demo version though!)
07-30-2011 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Sky Bug (wherein I squawk vociferously that the sky is falling)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com