Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Where are the old members? (Flippin' fegundo, where!?)
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
IP: Logged
icon Re: Where are the old members? (0)  
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Oh, are we playing the "who registered the earliest" game?
That could turn out to be a very short game.
06-05-2011 at 08:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+1)  
Tuttle wrote:
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Oh, are we playing the "who registered the earliest" game?
That could turn out to be a very short game.

I'll see your 22nd and raise you a 5th..

[Last edited by TripleM at 06-05-2011 08:09 AM]
06-05-2011 at 08:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
It's weird to me that I've been around for more than half of the forum's lifespan.

06-05-2011 at 09:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
Well, once they register, eventually everyone is going to have been around for more than half the forum's current lifespan.
(Assuming this forum lasts forever.)
06-05-2011 at 12:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
...if this forum lasts /forever/, it's impossible to have half of infinity.
06-05-2011 at 08:54 PM
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
Pinnacle wrote:
Do I count as old-school? I mainly lurk, but I used to be fairly active.
I think we can all agree that June 2004 is old school.

[Last edited by Rat Man at 06-07-2011 07:28 PM]
06-07-2011 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Rat Man wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:
Do I count as old-school? I mainly lurk, but I used to be fairly active.
I think we can all agree that June 2004 is old school.

Yea, I am old-school too!

06-07-2011 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+5)  
Noobs.

06-07-2011 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
A couple years ago I used the phrase "when I was your age" for the first time, and meant it. I think that makes me old. Right?

As for my own absence, it all comes down to available time. It seems I can only ever keep active on two community sites at a time, assuming I can pull myself away from my own websites, plus I have a time-intensive day job. Even though I'm here now, it's mostly for the contests (speaking of which, a new one's going up this week).

As time goes by, people's availability and habits change.

06-07-2011 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
DiMono wrote:
A couple years ago I used the phrase "when I was your age" for the first time, and meant it. I think that makes me old. Right?
I don't think so, I used it a couple of times and meant it too, yet I am barely 21. I suppose it makes you belong to a different generation though.

As time goes by, people's availability and habits change.
Indeed, but still, you one gets curious about people one grew accustomed to, for the lack of better words.

06-07-2011 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
I, too, have been guilty of the act of lurking. I did, however, come out of it temporarily for the April contest this year, but almost immediately after that I went into lurking mode again.

For me, it's mostly that RL has been catching up. I've got a full-time job (with emphasis on full), and have little to no time to spend on DRODding.

That being said, you haven't seen the last of me yet... :)

06-07-2011 at 09:41 PM
skell
Stefan wrote:
For me, it's mostly that RL has been catching up.

Ouch, I think something is wrong with me. For a moment here I thought you were referring to Rogue-likes :blush

06-07-2011 at 10:24 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1305
Skell wrote:
Ouch, I think something is wrong with me. For a moment here I thought you were referring to Rogue-likes :blush
I blame the cats. Specifically, the Ring of the Master Cat. Also necklaces of strangulation.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 06-07-2011 11:08 PM]
06-07-2011 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+5)  
It's good to see all the old-timers getting together here again to whip the whippersnappers by touting their low-numbered member sign-up rankings.

In the hopes of making people feel better, I'll reveal that Erik H. has in fact been recently sighted doing working on DROD. A month or so back, he wrote the official storyline for The Second Sky. I have it in my sweaty palms as we speak. Man, it's gonna be awesome!

And, for the old timers who want to hear all the gossip about the newest news, here's my personal Caravel road map:

1. Finish the Truthlock Method Smitemasters Selection. It has about an hour of work left to put into it, followed by release candidate testing.
2. Finish the Next Big Project. Could possibly be done by end of year. Either that, or in just a couple months if I ever quit my day job. Which, for better or for worse -- depending on how you're looking at it -- won't happen.
3. Start official development on TSS. In addition to the story line already being completed, we also have some graphic assets completed and new game elements in the works. This means we get to start up a new Bar at a value greater than zero as soon as the current one hits the big 100%.
4. ...?
5. Profit!

(Actually, #4 above is likely getting DROD on Steam at last so Banjooie doesn't have to feel dirty evangelizing the game to all his friends.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-08-2011 07:17 AM]
06-08-2011 at 07:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
mrimer wrote:
(Actually, #4 above is likely getting DROD on Steam at last so Banjooie doesn't have to feel dirty evangelizing the game to all his friends.)
sir you have no idea
in this modern day and age it's like telling people you don't have Facebook.

(i don't have facebook)
06-08-2011 at 10:54 AM
skell
Yay! *clasps his hands, amused*

I think I will start buying and playing SSes finally. It's good to know that The Mighty One Whose Words Should Be Heeded Who Brings Light To Us And... Er, Erik is doing something for DROD again. I personally don't care much about Steam release though.

Now I wonder what The Next Big Project is, mayhap Frogs and Mice? But anyway, I'd rather not have this topic drift into this direction.

06-08-2011 at 11:26 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
If you look around the forum, there are a few threads on what the Next Big Project is. In fact, there was a fairly recent project based on exactly that.

06-08-2011 at 12:48 PM
skell
Fascinating. I saw the topic but, turns out, I have never read the first post, or first page, or... whatever *hides*

[Last edited by skell at 06-08-2011 01:03 PM]
06-08-2011 at 12:59 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Banjooie wrote:

(i don't have facebook)

Amen! (I don't have a facebook account either).

It's also like telling people you don't have a cell-phone (I don't have a cell-phone). Then they stare at you and say "...and you're an Electrical Engineer?"

[Last edited by west.logan at 06-08-2011 01:18 PM]
06-08-2011 at 01:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
west.logan wrote:
Banjooie wrote:

(i don't have facebook)

Amen! (I don't have a facebook account either).

It's also like telling people you don't have a cell-phone (I don't have a cell-phone). Then they stare at you and say "...and you're an Electrical Engineer?"
Which is especially weird for me, because I'm not an Electrical Engineer... I'm a web programmer.

Also, the only reason I have a Facebook account is so that when people send me things on Facebook I can see them without having to do anything devious. I also want to use my phone as just a phone, and nothing else. I'm an anachronism that way.

06-08-2011 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mtuan
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+2)  
I think that all old members have become grown-ups with other difficult holds to solve (read: work and family). They still read this forum, though.

Ten or twenty years later their children will become new members again, after watching their parents playing DROD so often.

[Last edited by mtuan at 06-08-2011 04:51 PM]
06-08-2011 at 04:48 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Banjooie wrote:
Facebook doesn't make you money though.

06-08-2011 at 07:15 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
mtuan wrote:
I think that all old members have become grown-ups with other difficult holds to solve (read: work and family).
!!ImMMMM N00T OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!11111
KawNT U T3LLZ???!

(right?)
06-08-2011 at 09:54 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459

File: my-number.png (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 488 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+3)  
mrimer wrote:
It's good to see all the old-timers getting together here again to whip the whippersnappers by touting their low-numbered member sign-up rankings.
What, you mean this one?

Click here to view the secret text

Surely everyone remembers how to read that....

[Last edited by Tahnan at 06-10-2011 09:41 PM]
06-10-2011 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
mrimer wrote:
Is there a way to find that number out, by the way?

06-11-2011 at 01:32 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
DiMono wrote:
Is there a way to find that number out, by the way?
Yes, but to save your troubles, I'd say it's 225.

06-11-2011 at 04:02 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1305
Tahnan wrote:
mrimer wrote:
What, you mean this one?

Have a tattoo of that yet?
06-11-2011 at 04:37 PM
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
Tahnan wrote:
mrimer wrote:
What, you mean this one?

Don't call me Shirley.
06-11-2011 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+3)  
Wow, I actually remembered my password.

Yeah, after I finally got a job (not in academia, thankfully) I kind of stopped playing DROD. Fortunately I had finished my levels for TCB before getting the new job. I did make a few for F&M and they may even still be in there (I think I read the board a few months ago and I recognized some of my rooms from how it was described by a new tester).

I lurked for a while, occasionally doing admin-type things when necessary, but eventually I just couldn't keep it up. Every so often I get the urge to play again but so considering how many other games I have still in their cellophane (both literally and figuratively) I never end up doing it. I do plan to play F&M when it finally comes out though...maybe it will even be the first DROD game I actually buy! :whistle Not because I stole any of them, but because I kept getting them for free for contributing content...

And man, I stopped saying "Game on," years before I stopped posting...

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-12-2011 at 04:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+2)  
As long as it's reunion time...

My job got a lot more complicated and involved a couple of years ago, and as a result I've basically completely stopped playing DROD. Sad, but true.

Not that I don't still tell people it's my favorite computer game, but time to play...not so much.

On the other hand, I get paid to play with robots all day, so that's kind of nice.

Josh

06-12-2011 at 01:59 PM
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Where are the old members? (Flippin' fegundo, where!?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com