Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : High scores (tracking progress...)
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
IP: Logged
icon High scores (0)  
Having been looking at the high scores chart and realizing that I'm close to 500th place (507 currently), I decided to track my progress here. Out of 1300+ users, that's the top half! (never mind that most are inactive/have no scores). Anyone else have any PRs? Or even care?

So here goes...

Next Target: Architest (480th... that's the closest name I recognize).

05-19-2011 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: High scores (0)  
I'm going to drop in and just add two comments:

1. I hope this can become the generic "everybody celebrate their highscores milestones" thread so that it's all gathered in one location.

2. If you're trying to get a large number of points to get a high rank, focus more on conquering lots of rooms and holds to begin with - it's far easier to conquer 20 rooms at normal efficiency than to get a #1 in a room, most of the time, and almost all of the top highscorers are people who have played a lot of holds.

As of this writing I'm #38, not particularly due to any superb skill like michthro, Rabscuttle or the like, but just due to having conquered a whole bunch of holds and doing some efficient re-runthroughs on some of them.

[Last edited by Chaco at 05-20-2011 12:12 AM]
05-20-2011 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Chaco are you trying to compile.

Are you.

Also, this thread actually made me look, and I am apparently the 173rd best DROD player. That's kind of awesome.

Edit: unless we look for average rank, at which point I'm 330rd, and a /complete loser/. Awesome. :3

[Last edited by Banjooie at 05-20-2011 08:36 AM]
05-20-2011 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Banjooie wrote:
Edit: unless we look for average rank, at which point I'm 330rd, and a /complete loser/. Awesome. :3

I was looking at the "Score" column (default sorting method).

Thanks for the tip Chaco. I used to play games competitively (Mario Kart, F-Zero, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark) a long time ago but instead of going for perfection, I was planning on just continuing to play holds and try to finish them in a somewhat few number of moves. No plans on playing any hold over at this point.

05-20-2011 at 12:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: High scores (+1)  
west.logan wrote:
Banjooie wrote:

I was looking at the "Score" column (default sorting method).

Thanks for the tip Chaco. I used to play games competitively (Mario Kart, F-Zero, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark) a long time ago but instead of going for perfection, I was planning on just continuing to play holds and try to finish them in a somewhat few number of moves. No plans on playing any hold over at this point.
For me, the addiction has always been to get #1 scores. Yes, it means I can spend hours on a room but what's hours when months of gameplay have been spent? :)
05-20-2011 at 04:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
I am definitely prone to the same addiction.

Though unfortunately, a "Tied #1" score is ranked as second on the website. The only way you can get a #1 is if you're the first to have gotten it, and that means playing holds as soon as they come out apparently. I suppose there is some prestige in that.

05-20-2011 at 04:07 PM
Syntax
west.logan wrote:
I am definitely prone to the same addiction.

Though unfortunately, a "Tied #1" score is ranked as second on the website. The only way you can get a #1 is if you're the first to have gotten it, and that means playing holds as soon as they come out apparently. I suppose there is some prestige in that.
I believe tied #1 is scored higher than outright second though can never quite remember the actual values (except #1 = 17 points). It's also a myth that #1s are only obtainable when holds first come out - ok, straightforward entrance rooms are normally not beatable but there are 1000s of rooms which can be improved on.

99% of my #1s are from shaving a few moves off existing ones for holds which have been out for ages - whether it be by using a trick, or by just being more efficient when on a killing spree. In fact, my first was in JtRH which had been out for a year and played a lot by then.

I also introduced DROD to VodkaAndCoke who made it to 16th despite joining years later so it's never too late. She was grabbing #1s from people like michthro which looked impossible to beat - I think the right mindset is to *know* it's beatable even though it doesn't look it

[EDIT]

It also depends on the *type* of room - give me wraithwings/snakes any day, but give me gel, and I'll settle for top 8. Some (michthro, mxvladi...) can handle anything which is why their stats are so high...

[Last edited by Syntax at 05-20-2011 04:22 PM]
05-20-2011 at 04:19 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
I'm a room completer, not optimizer. That said, I love to see some of the demos for top scores which often have clever tricks to shave off moves and even sometimes unintended solutions. Go optimizers!
05-20-2011 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Report:
Architest (480) defeated!
Now at 463, which beats my would-be-next-target, enzi666. So next goal is to defeat Funk (452), who has six #1 scores.

05-21-2011 at 10:22 PM
Syntax
See you in the the top 20 :)
05-22-2011 at 02:34 PM
west.logan
Ha, top 100 maybe, if I last that long.

Given past history, I expect I'll move on to something else, but who knows.

05-22-2011 at 02:40 PM
Syntax
west.logan wrote:
Ha, top 100 maybe, if I last that long.

Given past history, I expect I'll move on to something else, but who knows.
Certainly hope not! Good to see someone "new" who's passionate about the game
05-22-2011 at 02:47 PM
west.logan
Should have set a higher goal. I'm at 418 and Freak (379) is next.

Right now I'm playing the simple holds on lunch breaks but I'll get back to KDD and JtRH when I have time.

05-23-2011 at 01:01 PM
west.logan

File: DRODRank.png (39.6 KB)
Downloaded 68 times.
License: Public Domain
I took a brief look at what it takes to move up in the rankings. As expected, it took a logarithmic shape. I'll post a picture in case anyone is interested.

05-23-2011 at 01:19 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Yay! I beat my way into the top twenty again. Why did you guys push me out? :?
05-23-2011 at 03:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
This thread made me look, and apparently I'm at 96, and that's with zero #1s. I guess having 3500 highscorable rooms played did the trick.
05-27-2011 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
west.logan
Ha, I'm sure that would.

I passed up Freak (by 2 points currently) and am at 379.

I think I'll target AgentIcarus (342) next, simply because I never beat Kid Icarus and I want some satisfaction.

05-27-2011 at 07:35 PM
west.logan
Now at position 324. Next target is Someone Else (271)

That will take 600 points so it might be a while...

06-02-2011 at 06:47 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: High scores (+2)  
Uh oh. I need to get a CaravelNet membership right now.
06-02-2011 at 08:05 PM
west.logan
icon Re: High scores (+2)  
If you do that then I'll just have to target...
*furtive glance*
someone else.

06-02-2011 at 08:11 PM
west.logan
It's been a while since an update...

Today I passed Someone Else (272) and am pushing toward Lamkin (260). After him, andywest (252) is goin' down. Currently at 264.

06-15-2011 at 06:43 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
This thread prompted me to go see where I stand in the high scores, and apparently in vanilla DROD I'm 125th. How I'm still that high after lacking CaravelNet for years and not being super hardcore in the first place I don't even know. I think the highest I ever got was 67th.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-15-2011 07:53 PM]
06-15-2011 at 07:53 PM
west.logan
Jatopian wrote:
This thread prompted me to go see where I stand in the high scores, and apparently in vanilla DROD I'm 125th. How I'm still that high after lacking CaravelNet for years and not being super hardcore in the first place I don't even know.

Perhaps having 3428 scored rooms has something to do with it :)

06-15-2011 at 08:34 PM
west.logan
Passed up Lamkin and very close to andywest. I think after that will be the man with the yellow boots (240).

Click here to view the secret text

06-17-2011 at 07:10 PM
Syntax
You'll find it harder after the 100 mark :)
06-18-2011 at 03:18 PM
west.logan
Aye. I posted a graph earlier that shows pretty much an exponential rise. Or logarithmic. Anyway, the amount of effort to rise 10 positions increases dramatically. I doubt I'll continue long enough to be in the top 100, but it's fun for now.

06-18-2011 at 03:32 PM
Syntax
I hope you do continue... plenty of fun holds yet to master :)
06-19-2011 at 07:54 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I used to care mainly about #1s,
then I mostly cared about finishing all the rooms
then I stopped playing for a year or so

Player: 992nd
Score: 4th
Number of High Scores: 4th
#1 Scores: 5th
Average Rank: 18th
Average Points: 29th

Laurels are comfy.
06-20-2011 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Well, I'm still #36, even though I haven't really played DROD in earnest for quite a bit. And I'm still #2 rank-point wise, though CSR is (was?) hot on my heels...

On that subject - has anyone heard from the rabbit lately? It does look like she dropped off the face of the Eighth... :/

np: Brian Eno - Nikkei (Drums Between The Bells (Disc 2))

06-20-2011 at 12:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Andywest is behind me now. Targets locked on Bombadil (240). His yellow boots annoy me.

Oh I'm quite confident I could make it to the top 20 if I put in the time, but I'm the sort of person that throws all energy into one or two things for a few weeks, then moves to something else. Already this past year I've done bicycling, genealogy, book-reprinting, firmware programming, and circuit board development, all as hobbies. Given my past record, this won't last forever :)

06-20-2011 at 06:43 PM
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : High scores (tracking progress...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com