Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : I just figured out why DROD has slumped.
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon I just figured out why DROD has slumped. (0)  
Just recently I went to visit one of my old haunts, Home of the Underdogs. I'm sure many of you remember that website, as it seemed to be one of the destinations from where a lot of you came.
However, it seems like the main site is now defunct, and like a hydra, now there's three heads instead. Unfortunately, 2 of these heads don't have ratings, one of the sites is missing the DROD:AE file, and of the one site that does allow ratings only have one rating by zex for DROD, but there's no reviews for DROD:AE or DROD:JtRH.

The reason I point this out is because HOTU used to be THE abandonware site, up until mid 2006 when it started going offline and stopped updating. And guess what used to be THE puzzle game on the site, the top underdog with the highest rating? DROD:AE.

And since 2007, ignoring the release of two titles, the mean number of pages on todays active posts has gone down from 5 to 2. Of course, there's other factors involved other than HOTU, I'm sure, such as the shift from downloadable puzzle games to flash puzzle games. It would be interesting to see what it would be like if DROD was within the 1st 20 results for puzzle games.
06-03-2009 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: I just figured out why DROD has slumped. (0)  
NiroZ wrote:
Of course, there's other factors involved other than HOTU, I'm sure, such as the shift from downloadable puzzle games to flash puzzle games. It would be interesting to see what it would be like if DROD was within the 1st 20 results for puzzle games.
I agree that this is one possible reason for the slump in activity: it's point number 6, "DROD simply isn't getting out there, to the people who would be interested in it". Certainly, this is a major reason why we aren't getting more newbies to the site; without new people, our community cannot grow.

However, it can't be the only reason why; as can be seen in the thread, most active forumites appear to be veterans of more than 2 years, but even our posting rate has declined somewhat as well. As a measure of how important that actually is, note that the top 20 posters account for more than 25% of the posts on this forum (and there will be other people not on that list who also have >0.5% contributions to the posts here), which looks like an overdispersed distribution.

You raise a good point, however; relying on one site as a source of advertising is like putting all one's eggs in the same basket; we need to get out there and market! To quote our collective suggestions from earlier:

One thing I have learnt is that marketing can be more important than the product itself sometimes. As DROD's community will always need replenishing as it grows, marketing is important to us for all kinds of reasons.

It appears that the marketing team was never active. While the Press Clippings board does show some activity on that front, I think we really do need someone (or a small group of people) to consider our marketing strategy to get DROD out there. It would also help Mike free up more time for development!

The Illuminations are also a good way to maintain interest in the community, so keep up the good work, Patrick!
I believe Mike's recent offer with Games Du Jour is an example of one way we can try to diversify our marketing strategy; the other free method, of course, is to get DROD mentioned and reviewed on various (game) websites. Spreading DROD to your friends is also a good idea, although in principle, it's probably harder than it looks, as DROD isn't exactly the sort of game for everyone.

More indiscriminate advertising (say in banners or as sponsored links) might work, but it could be expensive and may backfire in some way. I'd personally not be happy with indiscriminate cluttering of webpages with our adverts, even if it is DROD we're talking about.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 06-03-2009 07:37 PM]
06-03-2009 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Hey, people are paying attention to me? Does that me I no longer need to make contests? Don't touch that dial!

What I was indirectly hinting at is that what we need isn't just marketing. DROD caters for a very select audience, that is, hardcore puzzle gamers. On HOTU, DROD was managing to reach that target audience. Unless you can create a DROD title that can fool people into thinking that they're playing a mainstream game until you suck them in, the vast majority of people will go 'oh, a puzzle game...' and wander off. Mainly because when they think puzzle they think a rubik cube or something else which is insanely hard.

IMHO, they should release KDD2 free, in a hold with JTRH and TCB demos. Well, maybe not TCB, because that would be a huge file.
06-03-2009 at 08:01 PM
agaricus5
NiroZ wrote:
Unless you can create a DROD title that can fool people into thinking that they're playing a mainstream game until you suck them in, the vast majority of people will go 'oh, a puzzle game...' and wander off.
Actually, that's given me a crazy idea. Sure, DROD isn't exactly a casual game, but then again, there's no reason why we can't make it easier to play a room casually.

We could have a system where a room is chosen at random (or by player choice) from all the holds currently published. This room is then free to play as a standalone, completely separate from the hold; it could be a bit like a "one room-a-day" type of thing.

I know that many rooms aren't exactly designed for play outside the hold, and it would break the storyline (not to mention having multiple entrances would be a bit of a challenge), but it would be a way to see rooms that one might never encounter due to hold difficulty, for example, and we could always have architects make single rooms that are suitable for this use.

06-03-2009 at 11:41 PM
NiroZ
If they tagged the rooms that they thought would work, and placed you from a winnable spot (or allowed you to choose), that could work rather well. Then again, I'm sure it would be technical nightmare.
06-04-2009 at 12:00 AM
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
The easiest way to advertise ourselves would be DROD's flash version. We could make it as "main-stream" as needed (toned down puzzles, extra colorful graphics and death splashes, achievements and whatnot) and post it to Newgrounds, Armor games, Kongregate etc., but project appears dead. I would help, but I have no experience in Flash programming. Why we can't use Alchemy on DRODLib, again?
agaricus5 wrote:
More indiscriminate advertising (say in banners or as sponsored links) might work, but it could be expensive and may backfire in some way.
I agree. Many people have AdBlock Plus and those that do not ignore the flashing things on the internet anyway. Not to mention I see any form of advertisement as LIES (thanks to television), so others may too.
agaricus5 wrote:
We could have a system where a room is chosen at random (or by player choice) from all the holds currently published.
You would have to go through every single room ever published and see if it is winnable or not. And set a starting point too. And sripting heavy rooms will most likely break. Not an option.

06-04-2009 at 08:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
agaricus5 wrote:
Actually, that's given me a crazy idea...

I like this. I take it this would be browser based?

06-04-2009 at 10:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
Perhaps we could finish Flash DROD (as I recall I think we had an almost working engine, though it certainly doesn't include any fancy stuff) and then use the room of the day feature with the new grid size. No one would mind if we plastered advertisements all over it, and hopefully Room of the Day will stimulate the existing community as well as bring in new recruits.

06-04-2009 at 11:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
agaricus5
eb0ny wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
We could have a system where a room is chosen at random (or by player choice) from all the holds currently published.
You would have to go through every single room ever published and see if it is winnable or not. And set a starting point too. And sripting heavy rooms will most likely break. Not an option.
I disagree there. If we're only picking one or maybe two rooms (say one easy and one hard), then it shouldn't be too difficult for people simply to nominate rooms for submission in the beginning. And it doesn't have to be one room a day initially; one a week or every few days might suffice. Of course, it would require one to be able to access rooms in holds that they haven't already conquerd, but that shouldn't initially be a problem as there are lots of architects still around, and hopefully they have access to their holds.

As for solvability, I would have thought most rooms are designed to be solvable from at least one point in the room. Clearly multi-part rooms where the entrances are elsewhere are probably not suitable, as are rooms such as those in Complex Complex: Lava Gates, but most of the holds I have played have more conventional rooms that can be solved from an entrance that is accessible from every other entrance. Plus, entrance room puzzles, of which there are a number, can determine your start position immediately if there is only one entrance and it is solvable from that point.

To facilitate multiple entrance problems, we could use a hub level that is arranged around the room in question and allows one to move between entrances (as well as leave so you can re-orient yourself). It might also be useful from a story point of view (the protagonist is trapped and must complete a puzzle every day just as Scheherazade had to tell a story every night to avoid being executed).

Alternatively, we could get architects to design single rooms specifically for this purpose. Perhaps this might bring out architects that have good ideas, but just don't know how to string them together into a cohesive hold.

As for scripting, you could probably bypass the issue by only using AE rooms to begin with, which also tend to be less complicated.

Jacob wrote:
I like this. I take it this would be browser based?
I would definitely like to see this implemented as part of the Flash DROD project, but I think it is do-able in the DROD client as well. It might be a bit more hassle (download the file, import it, play it, search for hints) than an in-browser version that does it automatically for you, but I think it might be a reasonable compromise to start with, and would allow us to gauge its popularity.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 06-04-2009 12:01 PM]
06-04-2009 at 11:59 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Snacko wrote:
Perhaps we could finish Flash DROD.
I am pretty good with Flash, but the current Flash DROD engine was too difficult for me to decipher last time I checked. And it was on some repository too (it took me half of a day to figure out how to download the latest version).
*thinks for a second* To be honest, I don't think Flash DROD with AE graphics and such 'high resolution' could win many fans on the Newgrounds. For us, old time (old lurking) droders graphics mean nothing, but I can bet that half of the people who would load the game would say "ewww, how ugly!" and turn the game off immediately. Half of those who would decide to play would say "eww, this is too small for me" and turn the game off. This leaves us with quarter of people there.
From my own experience with developing, publishing and trying to find sponsor for flash games (these are limited experiences mind you) I can say that the game HAS to look good at first glance, so for sure AE graphics are out of question here.
The problem I have with the current resolution is that the tiles are too small (I might be misremembering something). They are fine for full-screen apps, but many users would critique it/find it too difficult for their puny eyes used to big graphics from FPS'es. Not many out there love Backbone games with player being 6x6 pixels big. So, holds would have to be created exclusively for the game in such situation.
Also, for a fine marketing strategy, I think something like this would suffice: Each game would consist of a new hold, made of, say, 5 Level, 9 puzzle rooms each. A new game (with new hold) would be released once a month, possibly with new features added once in a while. A CaravelGames splash screen after the loader, a link on title screen to site and a link at the end of the game "Play more DROD" or something like this.
These are just my thought at the matter, at the moment, so don't take them as absolute truth or something.

06-04-2009 at 12:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I also think that this is a neat idea to get some new DRODders. One thing that I think would be necessary for it to work is to have a "what the heck is this?" function. Ctrl+click, perhaps. After all, if they're new, they probably don't know what a goblin does.

Either that, or have a database of basic monster movement/tile functions that we would selectively compile for the appropriate rooms.

If a room had aumtlich and hot tiles, we would take the "What the heck is the aumtlich" and the "what the heck is a hot tile?" sections, and put them into an aid screen at the beginning of the room. Or maybe make them 2-room holds, with the assistance on scrolls in the first room. Allow as much information as possible to be had.

06-04-2009 at 01:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
Making DROD RPG's Flash port is always an option... In fact, it is the easier option, because the game logic itself is less complex. Also, large tile size ensures enough space to pack eye candy (say... 40x40 pixels). And if we get that working, we will have an engine for Flash DROD.
zex20913 wrote:
Either that, or have a database of basic monster movement/tile functions that we would selectively compile for the appropriate rooms.
I am thinking civilopedia-like database, possibly with animated examples that display mosters' movement.

06-04-2009 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
icon Re: I just figured out why DROD has slumped. (+2)  
agaricus5 wrote:
You raise a good point, however; relying on one site as a source of advertising is like putting all one's eggs in the same basket; we need to get out there and market!
I've actually been advertising DROD on Google AdWords (the ads that show on the side of Google searches) for a while now at the rate of $1 per day. (I used to work for Google and they gave me that much for free. Since I no longer work there, it might disappear any day. Hope I'm not jinxing it by posting this.)

According to the stats, in the last two years I've spent $440, had my ads shown 193000 times, and gotten a grand total of 650 clicks. (That's the sort of clickthrough rate which is known as 'suck-ass'. Technical term.) How many of those clicks turned into new DRODers? I have no idea.

Now since I haven't even logged on to AdWords in about six months until this thread reminded me about it, you might correctly conclude that I'm not putting in quite the effort that a well-managed ad campaign needs. But if anyone has some suggestions about new keywords or new ad text, I'll try them out. Currently the keywords that I get the most hits from are 'puzzle game' and 'free puzzle game'.

(If you feel the sudden need to do a Google search here, don't be surprised if you don't see anything. There's a lot of competition for those keywords and my ads only get shown a tiny percent of the time. And if you DO see my ad, please don't click - the daily budget gets eaten through very quickly.)

06-04-2009 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
skell wrote:
Snacko wrote:
Perhaps we could finish Flash DROD.
I am pretty good with Flash, but the current Flash DROD engine was too difficult for me to decipher last time I checked. And it was on some repository too (it took me half of a day to figure out how to download the latest version).
*thinks for a second* To be honest, I don't think Flash DROD with AE graphics and such 'high resolution' could win many fans on the Newgrounds. For us, old time (old lurking) droders graphics mean nothing, but I can bet that half of the people who would load the game would say "ewww, how ugly!" and turn the game off immediately. Half of those who would decide to play would say "eww, this is too small for me" and turn the game off. This leaves us with quarter of people there.
From my own experience with developing, publishing and trying to find sponsor for flash games (these are limited experiences mind you) I can say that the game HAS to look good at first
glance, so for sure AE graphics are out of question here.
The problem I have with the current resolution is that the tiles are too small (I might be misremembering something). They are fine for full-screen apps, but many users would critique it/find it too difficult for their puny eyes used to big graphics from FPS'es. Not many out there love Backbone games with player being 6x6 pixels big. So, holds would have to be created exclusively for the game in such situation.
I don't know anything about flash, but would it be too challenging to start creating a new DROD engine from scratch if the current one is too difficult to decipher? What would be the major obstacles in attempting to port DROD to flash, bearing in mind that we'd only need a pared-down version but reasonable to good graphics?

Also, for a fine marketing strategy, I think something like this would suffice: Each game would consist of a new hold, made of, say, 5 Level, 9 puzzle rooms each. A new game (with new hold) would be released once a month, possibly with new features added once in a while. A CaravelGames splash screen after the loader, a link on title screen to site and a link at the end of the game "Play more DROD" or something like this.
These are just my thought at the matter, at the moment, so don't take them as absolute truth or something.
Ugh. It's confusing enough as it is with the various versions of DROD floating around at the moment, not to mention the Smitemaster's Selections, which sound like what you're suggesting, except that you download the hold separately, not the hold integrated with DROD. I would support more Smitemaster's Selections being released, but I don't know how much that would attract casual players; I imagine we lose quite a few on having to download and install DROD, followed by attrition due to not having the patience to finish a level/hold. Having single rooms, much like a single crossword or sudoku might be more suited to those who only want bite-sized things to play.

06-04-2009 at 05:57 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
DROD slumped because:

* Erik ran off and didn't make sure someone was going to take care of, or at least assign people to take care of, the things he had a finger in, which comprised a majority of things in the community and development.

* Mike went off and devoted the majority of Caravel's resources to a Tower of the Sorcerer fan game, when DROD itself already had a Truck Factor in the negative numbers.

* We have never had a good track record on updates or online services.

* We have not had decent marketing since JtRH, which is probably directly related to Erik's burnout.

* Unlimited undo never got implemented.

The marketing is probably more important than the other things. We have a lack of people.

06-04-2009 at 08:18 PM
agaricus5
Jatopian wrote:
DROD slumped because:

* Erik ran off and didn't make sure someone was going to take care of, or at least assign people to take care of, the things he had a finger in, which comprised a majority of things in the community and development.
Well, alright. You've said that before, and that's quite true; Mike's more of a coder than he is a marketing guy, so we're seriously lacking in this department. However, this is what we are trying to correct.

* We have not had decent marketing since JtRH, which is probably directly related to Erik's burnout.

The marketing is probably more important than the other things. We have a lack of people.

That's probably true in the sense that it's self-perpetuating. Our fanbase is shrinking and we don't have the exposure we need to replenish our numbers to get more marketing out there. In such a case, we've got no choice but to make do with what we have for now, since as you point out, the decline is leaving us chronically short of manpower. Saying that, we do have some ideas and a few people who can put them into action.

* Mike went off and devoted the majority of Caravel's resources to a Tower of the Sorcerer fan game, when DROD itself already had a Truck Factor in the negative numbers.
Mike wanted to expand DROD's repertoire, which would normally make sense in any business model. It is a pity that the Truck Factor is unfortunately close to 1, but as with the above point, we can't exactly rectify that without better marketing.

If we could get a basic flash game out there, then it sounds like this is a good way to go; why spread DROD too much if it can spread itself? The only issue is whether this is in any way possible, which I'm hoping we can clarify.

If you've got a better suggestion for marketing, and a potential way to actually get that implemented (e.g. if you know of any contacts we could use to get reviews posted on major gaming sites), then I'm sure we'd all appreciate hearing them. The extension to that would be to form the Department of Entanglements as was intended and use that opportunity to:

1) get reviews and advertisements written for DROD
2) devise and plan possible outlets for having these reviews displayed
3) contact or otherwise get the reviews where they need to be

I'd love to help coordinate our marketing if possible, but sadly, I must rely on the more internet-savvy of us for the necessary knowledge of where the best places are for marketing.

* Unlimited undo never got implemented.
Ahahaha.

I suspect that you might be closer to being correct than you imply (or not). It would be nice if having little time to play wasn't such a serious handicap when it comes to puzzling away at the beast that is optimising. I'd still welcome UU as a post-mastery option, since this would encourage people to complete holds.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 06-04-2009 08:47 PM]
06-04-2009 at 08:45 PM
skell
agaricus5 wrote:
I don't know anything about flash, but would it be too challenging to start creating a new DROD engine from scratch if the current one is too difficult to decipher? What would be the major obstacles in attempting to port DROD to flash, bearing in mind that we'd only need a pared-down version but reasonable to good graphics?

I am not sure if the current code is bad or not, but it is different from code I write, but keep in mind I have zero team coding experience :).

Making the game is the easier part. The problem is - what kind of game we want to make. A direct port? Of AE, JTRH, TCB? Or something else? Should it be able to connect to CaravelNet? Editor? Importing Holds? And so on.
I personally think that the best idea would be to make more of fan-game than official-port. I can't explain why though, I just feel like it.

Gotta get some sleep now. I will try to program myself to dream some ideas but it rarely works :P.

06-05-2009 at 01:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
In case some enterprising individual were interested: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/alchemy/

However, the disclaimer reads that I rarely know what I'm talking about.

06-05-2009 at 03:02 AM
NiroZ
I think you should aim for something really simple. IE, just has roaches, roach mothers, force arrows and walls for the moment. You could create some decent puzzles just out of that anyway.
06-05-2009 at 03:25 AM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
NiroZ wrote:
I think you should aim for something really simple. IE, just has roaches, roach mothers, force arrows and walls for the moment. You could create some decent puzzles just out of that anyway.

From my experience with casual gaming, people tend to like having more types of enemies and elements and powerups and whatnot unless it's really simple. Just throw in a "What's This" button or make good tutorial-ish things and it should work fine.

Oh, and mouse controls would help. Probably the best way to implement mouse controls for normal DROD style would be to have each click move you one step towards where you're going, and put rotate buttons on the UI. And a run button, and a shortcut key for running. Same for the "What's This" blurb: put a button and a shortcut key. I'm thinking a tiny action bar at the side of the screen would be a good place to put these without being too distracting to the DROD vetrans.

Some example blurbs:
Floor: There's nothing here. What did you expect, a witty response?
Beethro: This is you. Your job is to exterminate the pests in the dungeon. Don't get eaten!
Roach: These cannon-fodder pests beeline toward you, but they're pretty stupid about it.
Roach Queen: This pest runs directly away from you and spawns roaches every spawn cycle.
Goblin: These tricky little creatures try to avoid your sword and sneak around to your back. If there's two of them, you've got a problem.
Wraithwing: These cowards try to stay 5 tiles away from you at all times, unless they have you surrounded. Oh, and they can fly, too.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 06-05-2009 08:13 AM]
06-05-2009 at 08:13 AM
agaricus5
skell wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:

I am not sure if the current code is bad or not, but it is different from code I write, but keep in mind I have zero team coding experience :).
Heh. As long as someone can take over from you when you're done (i.e. we don't have a truck factor of zero), I'm pretty sure that's not exactly a problem!

Making the game is the easier part. The problem is - what kind of game we want to make. A direct port? Of AE, JTRH, TCB? Or something else? Should it be able to connect to CaravelNet? Editor? Importing Holds? And so on.
If that's the case, then I think we should begin immediately.

I personally think that the best idea would be to make more of fan-game than official-port. I can't explain why though, I just feel like it.
In this case, we could probably blur the lines between official port and fan game. It will technically be a fan game (you're a fan, are you not? :)), but it should at the very least be able to do what DROD currently can do right now, thus making it a port.

Your best bet is probably to try to port DROD 1.6, but without the level editor (if anyone wants to make levels, they might as well download DROD). Graphics should only be low priority for now; there's no point having a game that looks good that you can't actually play!

Most importantly, the game (with my limited understanding of programming) should consist of:

The game engine (this calculates everything);
Game object data store (this stores all the monster and object behaviour data), but not scripting/characters;
Room handling (can import holds and convert them to your format);
Input interfaces (keyboard and mouse control);
Visual interface (converts room data to a grid we can see using a tile template);
Browser interface (it's a flash game, right? :)).

I would recommend making the game object store (i.e. the database of monster behaviour) modular, so you can simply add new monsters later on rather than having to rewrite the code from scratch each time you update. As NiroZ suggests, we should probably start with only a few elements and add more later on once the core program is working. It might also be a good idea (if it is possible) to construct the visual interface so that you can modify the tile size and it is easy to change the picture tiles you are going to use.

Less important things you might consider once you have the core working might be:

Connectivity to the Hints and Solutions board (i.e. click to go to the hint thread page immediately);
Movement clock;
Other aids (e.g. mouse-over elements, click square for coordinates, click decoy for radius);
Key remapping/support for unusual keyboard layouts;
Sound/music;
Higher quality graphics;
Scripting from JtRH and TCB;
Demo support;
Space for advertising.

I think an editor and CaravelNet connectivity would be pretty low down on the priority list, particularly as CaravelNet is currently subscriber-only.

06-05-2009 at 08:48 AM
NiroZ
The reason I suggested such a barebones game was not because it would scare people with complexity, but so that people had something achievable to program.
06-05-2009 at 08:58 AM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Ok, I like the idea of a flash DROD game, but I would definitely not make a direct port of one of the existing DROD games. They are everything but casual, and since we're aiming for a simple environment, they're really out of the question. And as discussed before, the current room size is way too big for a browser-based flash environment. This automatically rules out any existing DROD room.

What I think would be the best course of action is to create a heavily toned-down DROD flash game, with a small room size and only a few elements, designed to give people the possibility to really grasp the DROD feel, while being easily accessable. (No downloads, installation) Then, when people are confortable with the flash game, they can try out the 'big' DROD games.
06-05-2009 at 02:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
I think you're right. And then we can have a few people work on making smaller DROD rooms (maybe have a contest with maximum room size equal to the size of the Flash DROD rooms).
06-05-2009 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell

File: DROD_Sizing.png (44.5 KB)
Downloaded 68 times.
License: Public Domain
slimm tom wrote:
Ok, I like the idea of a flash DROD game, but I would definitely not make a direct port of one of the existing DROD games. They are everything but casual, and since we're aiming for a simple environment, they're really out of the question. And as discussed before, the current room size is way too big for a browser-based flash environment. This automatically rules out any existing DROD room.

What I think would be the best course of action is to create a heavily toned-down DROD flash game, with a small room size and only a few elements, designed to give people the possibility to really grasp the DROD feel, while being easily accessable. (No downloads, installation) Then, when people are confortable with the flash game, they can try out the 'big' DROD games.

That's exactly what I think.
I attached a picture which shows how "big" are different tile sizes and how much of such tiles can be fit into a room of 800x600. Not really anything extraordinary, just a couple of thoughts pieced together.
(Actually, I have an engine written in Flex Builder which serves as a base for grid-based games I wrote some time ago, so if we settle on the resolution-dimensions stuff I could quickly write a small pre-alpha demo to see how it looks.)

One thing is bothering me. If we create editor/importable holds/Flash DROD Hold repository, we will most likely create a new community of Flash DRODers, instead of recruiting new members to current Big productions, at least I think so.

Other than this I have one idea in mind: creating a series of animations about DROD, held in the usual top-down grid-turn-based fashion, which could serve as an interesting AND fun introduction to both The Eighth lore and DROD gaming.

06-05-2009 at 04:50 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
In that case I'd go for 800x600 with 30x30 tiles. Nice and big, and still enough tiles to make decent puzzles.
06-05-2009 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
We don't have to have the squares the size of normal DROD. And besides, you'll need to fit the puzzle into 640x480 if you want to get it onto any online flash game site.
06-06-2009 at 02:06 AM
skell
NiroZ wrote:
We don't have to have the squares the size of normal DROD. And besides, you'll need to fit the puzzle into 640x480 if you want to get it onto any online flash game site.
Nope. You can easily use 800x600, though making it any bigger would be rather bad idea (especially for casual notebook users).

06-06-2009 at 09:42 AM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
I think we should ship pre-paid drod game cards to different stores. It's helped several unknown games increase revenue and interest.

06-13-2009 at 03:58 PM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
You've been throwing that idea around lately, could you elaborate a bit more? Normally a pre-paid card means you get a certain amount of play-time, but that only works if it is a renewable membership rather than a one time buy. There are also no persistent in-game rewards in DROD, so it couldn't be used as a gift certificate either. Do you mean to sell official holds? That would probably be better received with a full retail release, though cards would be a lot more cost-effective. All that's really left is CaravelNet membership, which may increase recognition, but seeing the card at all will attract MMO players, which are far from DROD's target audience.

06-14-2009 at 08:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : I just figured out why DROD has slumped.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com