Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : How to create a good RPG Hold?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
IP: Logged
icon How to create a good RPG Hold? (+1)  
I don't really get it. Holds like Test of Mind, or Tendry's Tale, how are they made? With millions of calculations and maths or with "thought" but not with calculations? I can make 4 or 5 interlocked puzzle rooms, but then it gets too complex for me.

What's the trick?

10-07-2008 at 07:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: How to create a good RPG Hold? (+1)  
vittro wrote:
with "thought" but not with calculations?

That's the policy I'm following for Fetch the Pie. The idea seems to be that you want to be lax on the player's ability to pass through areas or bottlenecks, but reward the player for conserving resources or being clever by letting him save health or other resources, thus increasing his score.

You can also provide optional challenges that result in greater rewards if completed (an example: if the player has a lot of health, and can fight some tough monsters, he can get a shield or a skeleton key that will help on the next level, but otherwise the shield is blocked off)

The trick seems to be giving the player a lot of choices and rewarding him for good choices, not punishing him for bad ones.

[Last edited by Chaco at 10-07-2008 08:31 PM]
10-07-2008 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
icon Re: How to create a good RPG Hold? (0)  
I have a problem... Once I have another level, it's really tricky to keep track of the player's hp atk and def.

I would like to play the hold from the main menu and edit it in the hold then continue, but it's not possible.

10-09-2008 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: How to create a good RPG Hold? (0)  
Well... An advise would be to build a hold step for step. If you look at test of mind, for example, the first part if completable with lots of extra lives and keyes. Thus the architect might use my input to build the next level. And the more testers you have, the more input you will get. I think it ought to be possible to produce something really good step by step.
10-09-2008 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: How to create a good RPG Hold? (+1)  
Also, I'd like to note that if you wish to keep the difficulty the same, try using gradually tougher enemies in each level. For example, level 1 has roaches, queens, evil eyes, wraithwings, spiders and brains. The next level would have mud babies, spiders, some evil eyes and a few tougher enemies towards the end, but wouldn't start off with rock golems, gray men, mad eyes and swordsmen.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-09-2008 at 04:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : How to create a good RPG Hold?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com