Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Other good puzzle games
<<6789
Page 10 of 10
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
micke8
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
IP: Logged
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:

One of the things that does annoy me, though, apart from the Windows 3.1 stylings, is that he's got as default the inability to make a mistake (you get a warning whenever you try to make a wrong move). I kind of think that a puzzle without the possibility of making a mistake isn't as satisfying.

I own the Everett Kaser Game "Latin Squares". In the Menu Player-> Option -> Puzzle Solving there is an Option "Notify on wrong Deduction". If you turn it off you can make as much mistakes as you like. I think all Kaser Games have the same Menu's, so take a look at your game. ;)
06-07-2005 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
I know it can be turned off - I'm annoyed that it's on by default.

06-07-2005 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
micke8
For all Players, who don't like SubTerra very much, there's an open-source-project called Rock's-n-Diamonds. It's available for all operating systems, actually there are 10000+ Levels to solve (classical Boulder Dash Levels included, also Supaplex, Emerald Mine etc)

Link : http://www.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/

Have Fun!!! ;)
06-20-2005 at 10:20 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Already posted earlier in this very thread. ;)

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=188&page=2#6309

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-20-2005 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
micke8
Oh, sorry.... O:-
06-20-2005 at 10:25 PM
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
I found that deduction puzzles in the stylings of Kasers games are way too easy to solve. I haven't played them, but from the uninteracive demos on his site and from a simiar game I've played, (meaning, the later levels of Kasers games might be different) they can be solved by following the clues in an order, removing from the board just pieces that don't belong to that single particular clue. After you've gone through them all, just do it again and again as many times as neccessary, and the puzzle is solved, with the most deduction you ever have to do being deciding if a single item at a time follows a single clue at a time. They're quite satisfying to solve, but when you come to think of it, these kinds of puzzles are way too easy. but as I said, maybe the later levels of Kasers games are different, although I highly doubt it actually.
06-21-2005 at 09:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
That's been my experience with Kaser's games - the 'small' puzzles are very easy, while the 'large' puzzles are usually the only part of the game where everything gets out of the way and pure deductive fun is delivered.

06-21-2005 at 01:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 522
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (+1)  
I don't know if this game has been posted earlier somewhere.
Rocknor's Donut Factory.
It's an independent game about... (drum roll) a Donut Factory. I've played the demo only a bit but it seems interesting.
06-23-2005 at 09:01 AM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (+2)  
Boppin'

This is a tough game to describe. It is kind of similar to Flipull, which I played on the Game Boy oh so long ago, but different in many ways. I'll leave the storyline of Boppin' to the game itself, and describe the gameplay here.

Your character can move around left and right on the screen, and up and down only when there are elevators (which are sometimes camouflaged in the landscape). After you spawn in the room, an object pops up in your spawn point. Walking over this object makes your character pick it up. You then move so that you can throw the object diagonally: if it hits an identical object, it removes it and all other identical objects touching it. If those objects form a certain shape, you score bonus points and free a video game villain (don't ask...it's explained in the game). If you miss, sometimes you get lucky and it comes back to you, or it bounces off of a wall into what you wanted. If it hits another object that could be removed, then it breaks...if it goes off-screen, it breaks. Then you lose a "life". You get 5 lives, and 3 credits. If there is more than one type of object you have to remove, then they spawn in a cycle until they are all removed. Once you remove everything, you go to the next stage.

One thing that I wish I had realized at first was that if you press down when standing on the spawn square, you destroy what you are carrying and the next object in the cycle appears. This costs you 20 points though, and if you don't have it, you lose a life. It's not hard to get 20 points, unless you've just spent a credit to continue. But you get 1000 points for making one of the good patterns, so that's important.

Also, this is a two-player game, and they let you play both during 1-player if you want to. I didn't. You can run it in a window from the Start Menu dialogue.

Anyway, this is a pretty interesting puzzle game. There's a lot of levels...I got to 36 or so in the first pack before I got to a level I couldn't figure out, and then I forgot to save before I quit. :( The story is amusing and quirky, and there are user-made levels for download somewhere (and an editor). It's a freeware release of an old game, and it's for Windows now, so try it out if you want a relatively unique puzzle game.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-24-2005 at 02:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
Oneiromancer wrote:
Boppin'

Hmm... very interesting game. I just gave it a whirl for an hour or so, and it reminded me of old shareware games like Jazz Jackrabbit. It was almost nostlagic for me.

It is indeed a puzzle game, but a weird one. A lot of the puzzle is figuring out what the crap is the walls, floors, bouncers, etc. in each level because they switch which tiles do what constantly.

The actual bouncing is rather trivial because you can see the grid on most tiles, and some of the levels are too simplistic to be even called puzzles. It is quite fun though, and some levels really do have some good puzzles.

I think it would be a lot of fun two player also, if you kind of competed for the most points. I can imagine fighting with friends, trying to get the good combos for yourself. The whole "cooperative yet competitive" thing.

Pretty fun game, if a bit strange.

[Last edited by Zmann at 06-25-2005 10:52 PM]
06-24-2005 at 05:21 AM
Oneiromancer
It starts out very easy, but once you get up there in levels, and try some of the later "episodes," it gets pretty tough. There were 5 or so rooms (out of the 30-something I played) where I had to stop and think about what I needed to do as well.

It's definitely tough to pigeonhole this one, but I think puzzle is the most appropriate description.

Game on,

06-24-2005 at 06:19 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
I'd hate to say this, but I found Boppin' hardly interesting at all. Too repetitive, I'd say. But then that goes for all of Apogee's and Epic's puzzle games; they should stick to the action/platformer genre (or shmup, of course), where they seriously rock.

06-24-2005 at 09:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
goldenlion
Rank Points: 199
Wetrix.

This is a very strange, difficult game. It's a tetris-esque, falling pieces type game, involving the construction of walls to contain water. Once you've got enough points, you go onto the next level, gradually going up against bombs, mines, and all sorts of other stuff calculated to destroy your carefully built containment facility. I've never managed to get far at all in this, but maybe you'll do better, and I always had fun losing miserably. Check it out.

06-25-2005 at 03:54 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
-> Zep's Dreamland <-

Found this great little game the other day. It reminds me of Troddlers (Amiga game), if anyone's played that, although it's actually completely different. There's no troddlers, for example.

Anyway, you play Zep, a little guy who's managed to trap himself within his own dreamworld. To help him wake up, you have to get him to the exit in each platform-style one-screen level. There are no enemies, but that doesn't mean it's always easy getting to the exit. In fact, you'll have to create your own path.

This is Zep's power: He can create three kinds of blocks, one type to fill in gaps in the ground (down + space), one type to place where he stands to move him up (up + space) (Zep can't jump), or one type to place beside him (just space). The different kinds of block can only be removed the same way you created them, so you can't remove an up-block when standing beside it, for example. Also, blocks can not be created if you're already standing on a created block, or if you're standing on a special restriction block (which restricts creation of one or all of the block types).

Like in DROD, you can figure out what has to be done just by looking at a level, most of the time. The exception to this is the teleporters -- if there's multiple teleporter entrances and exits, you have to try them to find out which leads to which. This isn't usually a problem, though. (Also, the Blind levelset has invisible blocks and other evil nastyness, so you might want to stay away from that unless you like that sort of thing :))

The game is available for both Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, although the midi-based music sounds better in Windows (the Linux version seems to use software midi in stead of hardware midi :().

Oh, and do yourself a favor and stay away from the tutorials, unless you want to be spoon-fed about how to press the left button to move left and such :). The readme is nice, though.

All in all this is an awesome game. The only bad thing about it is that there's not enough levels, but hey, there's a level editor included.

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 06-25-2005 11:02 PM : Mac OS X too!]
06-25-2005 at 10:52 PM
quaker3332
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest puzzle games that are similar to Laser Tank, Chip's Challenge and Sokoban?

Prefably turn-based, and with a level editor. Thanks.
07-02-2005 at 02:34 PM
Oneiromancer
Hmmm...Chip's Challenge I know isn't exactly turn-based, although it is tile-based. So I think you might want to try Subterra, which has its own board right here.

There's also Rox, mentioned in this thread somewhere, Rocks 'n' Diamonds, mentioned twice, most recently up above on this same page, and of course there's the awesome Fish Fillets, although there's definitely no level editor with that one.

Game on,

07-02-2005 at 06:29 PM
quaker3332
Rank Points: 11
Thanks!

I was also wondering if anyone could help me find a game I'm trying to find?

It's a lot like sokoban, and you can push boxes into water and the water and box will both dissapear, there are enemies, in a newer version that was released some of the levels were called "Rolling Stones" (e.g Rolling Stones 1, 2, 3 etc) and there were small levels, too, but I don't remember what those were titled.

There were enemies, and I think there was collectable items like apples as well.

If anyone could find this it would be greatly appreciated, thank you. :)

(PS: The drawings are really non-3d and are clearly drawn by the author if that helps. This game may have been non-turn based but I'm not positive about that. Also when you open up the game I'm pretty sure there is loud cheery music on the intro screen and throughout the game.)

Edit:

Found it. It can be found here --> http://members.aol.com/CHEESEtwoK/blocks.htm

[Last edited by quaker3332 at 07-05-2005 07:39 AM]
07-03-2005 at 10:08 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
It's maybe not freeware, but it's good.

Puzzlic:

www.anotherday.com

Copy&paste link into address bar.

Jeff_ray===

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-06-2005 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

Puzzlic:

www.anotherday.com

Jeff_ray===

Your link doesn't work, but a quick Google brought me to this site.

Also, the game is shareware.

The game looks very similar to a puzzle game I've played before, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a free version somewhere.
07-06-2005 at 11:08 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3749
Can anyone identify the following game. It's a pretty old PC puzzle/platformer and I'm sure the file was galactix.com/.exe, but searching for "galactix" never gets me the right game. You play a little green alien thing whose spaceship has crashed and you need to fix it. You can pick up/drop/eat/use things, and have an energy bar that's running out. I never completed it, and would like to.

07-07-2005 at 12:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (-1)  
Zmann wrote:
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

Puzzlic:

www.anotherday.com

Jeff_ray===

Your link doesn't work, but a quick Google brought me to this site.

Also, the game is shareware.

The game looks very similar to a puzzle game I've played before, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a free version somewhere.

What i wrote in the post you quoted?

It's maybe not freeware, but it's good

Ok?

Jeff_ray

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-07-2005 at 12:43 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3749
Been playing Ballance, which was mentioned earlier in the thread. It's great! Reminds me of a great game called Rollin, which I used to play and love. It's a top-down game where you roll a ball around, collecting keys, avoiding enemies, going to shops, buying useful items, riding railways, melting walls with acid, etc etc. Many very clever puzzles, especially when you have to work out what you need to buy from shops given finite funds. It's shareware, but I think it may now be abandonware.
I'm upset that I'm unable to run it properly in XP, the top half of the display appears below the bottom half, for some reason, making it not very enjoyable or easy to play. However, highly recommended if you're able to work out how to get around this.
It's on Underdogs: http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=923

07-10-2005 at 01:18 PM
unadezombis
Rank Points: 12
I'd like to mention my all time favourite puzzle game,
GRUNTZ!
You play as a gooey little alien with a bad attitude.
The object is to collect a 'warpstone' and get to your
king somewhere on the level. But of course, there are
bad guys and rocks and coins and secrets and arrows
and tools to use. You can
read more about it here www.gruntz.com
There's also a level editor with many available user made
levels. I found this game about a year or so before
DROD and I couldn't stop playing it!

Other favourites of mine include the Gobliiins series,
Star Wars Pit Droids, Marble Drop, the Oxyd series (cheers
to the poster for mentioning the Enigma clone!) and the Hero's
Heart
game (I still have my 5.25" floppy I bought back in 1991!)
:D
07-14-2005 at 06:11 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Gruntz took me so long to complete! The final battle is great, and the kitchen levels are the best in my opinion, the deaths are really funny.
07-15-2005 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (+3)  
-> Professor Fizzwizzle <-

Found this fantastic shareware game the other day. For some reason it reminds me of Zep's Dreamland, although it is, of course, completely different. Well, maybe not completely; the hero can't jump, the game has one-screen platform-based levels, and like DROD you can figure out what has to be done simply by looking at the level; there's no hidden elements. Also, the aim of each level is to get from the entrance to the exit. That's it for the similarities, though.

You play as Professor Fizzwizzle, a tiny man who has come on the wrong side of his robot friends thanks to a rather unfortunate design decision. As a result they threw him out of his lab, and now it is of course up to you to help the poor man getting back in. Naturally, he can't just walk there -- oh no, the road is long, winding, and filled with devious puzzles. There's three different puzzle paths to the lab, one normal and one advanced, as well as kids mode. There's also the alphabet path, in which you can learn the alphabet if you are so inclined.

To get to the exit of each level, the tiny Professor can climb ladders, push various objects, walk on barrels, and use magnets, gates and pulleys. He can also get chased by robots, unless you find a way to disable them or sneak by them unseen. In addition to this, he can also come across objects that can be used within the level. There's inflatable crates, barrels and magnets(!) that acts just like their solid counterparts and can be placed anywhere the Professor can reach, as well as a few tools he can use that affect objects in various ways.

Just to complicate things a little bit more, there's also three different types of ground: Grass, ice and sand. On grass, crates can be pushed around and barrels will roll until they hit something. On ice, everything (including the Professor) will keep moving until they hit something (at which point the something moves on if it can). Ice can also act as a trap for the Professor; if he gets stranded on ice, he can't move at all. On sand, barrels will behave like crates do on grass, and crates won't move at all, unless they're frozen...

The game is mostly turn-based, although it does have real-time elements -- mostly the robots, but also timing of other moving objects in some levels. This haven't been much of a problem for me so far, though. There's usually a way to stay safe from the robots.

The game is very well polished, with great happy cartoony graphics and great sound and music as well. The story is funny and written in verse, no less. The game also includes a level editor.

It's available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It's not free (costs about the same as JtRH), but a demo is available. It's well worth the price, in my opinion.

- Gerry
07-21-2005 at 07:36 PM
Oneiromancer
Hey, I was playing Fizzwizzle the other day too! It looked pretty good...but it just didn't seem like enough levels to justify buying it, to me, even with the editor. 200 rooms, at least 1/4 of them kiddy rooms, vs the 350+ rooms in JtRH is a no-brainer to me, even though Fizzwizzle does have an editor. I definitely had fun playing the free levels, but I just wasn't convinced that it would be worth it to keep going.

I highly recommend people to at least try it out though.

Game on,

07-21-2005 at 07:50 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Fizzwizzle is a nicely made game. I played it while it was in beta and liked it. I should probably check it out again.

-Erik

07-21-2005 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
While I shouldn't be trying new games out right now considering all the ones I still have to beat...Peggle caught my eye and after getting through almost 25 levels before my hour time limit was up, I felt like I had to share it. As the Onion AV Club put it, Peggle is like Pachinko meets Bust-A-Move. There's a lot of random luck involved, but there's definitely some skill too. And since having good spatial relationship skills are necessary, and some strategizing, I'd say that this kind of qualifies as a puzzle game.

The graphics and "story" are definitely aimed at a younger crowd but the game is just fun. I'd exclaim aloud every time I made an awesome shot. My only real complaint is that there doesn't seem to be that much replay value...the layout of each level is set, although the colors of the pegs (which denote goals and powerups) are random. I got through almost 50% of the main levels, but there are apparently 75 "challenge" levels which, I believe, consist of making skill shots. I can't see myself spending $20 on it, although if it was on XBox Live Arcade for $10 I would buy it in a heartbeat. (I'm also an Achievement junkie so that always helps.)

Anyway, the game kept me up past my bedtime...and I know that is generally a good recommendation.

Edit: er, whoops, I didn't realize this thread hadn't been posted in for almost 2 years. I must have forgot that we have another puzzle game thread around somewhere. I guess this was just the first one I thought of. Well, I am too tired to moderate myself so I will let it be. ;)

Game on,

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 05-10-2007 05:37 AM]
05-10-2007 at 05:35 AM
Mattcrampy
I got Peggle a while ago - the challenge levels are actually the regular levels overlaid with an additional condition. Some will give you more targets to hit (which is interesting, as the amount of targets you have left ties into the ease of getting free shots), some force you to hit all pegs, others reduce the amount of balls you get to 2 or 1, still others are duel missions against computer players, some ask you to clear multiple levels in a row, and so on.

Apparently there's also a subgoal of clearing all of the pegs in all of the adventure levels.

05-10-2007 at 04:26 PM
<<6789
Page 10 of 10
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Other good puzzle games
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No