Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Undo more than 1 move.
<<4567
Page 8 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1304
IP: Logged
icon Re: Undo more than 1 move. (+1)  
Uh oh. That means that if you turn the repeat rate all the way up, it will repeat more than infinite times per second. Don't press any keys, then, or you'll freeze your computer.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 05-14-2013 04:53 AM]
05-14-2013 at 04:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Undo more than 1 move. (0)  
Ah, don't worry. That one's on the metric scale.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-14-2013 at 06:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662

File: UndoFixed.png (126.5 KB)
Downloaded 640 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Undo more than 1 move. (+4)  
mrimer wrote:
It's this long:
You forgot to label the axis, Mister Imer.

FIXED THAT FOR YOU

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

05-25-2013 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
The scale should go down to 0 turns and I'd happily represent that for old times' sake

[Last edited by Syntax at 05-26-2013 06:55 AM]
05-26-2013 at 06:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Trickster
Syntax wrote:
The scale should go down to 0 turns and I'd happily represent that for old times' sake
I didn't really know who to put down for zero, to be honest. That scale doesn't make much sense as the two named players make the hardest rooms ever, though in different ways. LarryMurk can make a room with one roach and a few walls somehow be impossible, whereas mxvladi/Slava's rooms range from "tricky lynchpin" to "you see what to do now good luck executing it" to "I mashed twenty-three separate lynchpins into a single room and you had better know esoteric move orders with respect to clones and oremites with sword tokens on them or else just be TFMurphy".

I need to hurry up and retire so I can start playing this stupid, awful, evil game again. Or at least finish this stupider, awfuller, eviller degree.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

05-27-2013 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Trickster wrote:
I need to hurry up and retire so I can start playing this stupid, awful, evil game again. Or at least finish this stupider, awfuller, eviller degree.
Preach it, sister! :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-28-2013 at 02:19 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
As a general rule, despite the fact he is good people, I try not to be TFMurphy. Is this why I have so much difficulty with modern holds?
05-28-2013 at 08:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
icon Re: Undo more than 1 move. (+2)  
Banjooie wrote:
Is this why I have so much difficulty with modern holds?
No. The problem is that you're attempting to play holds designed in the early 20th century. Those need to be converted to be playable in DROD 4.0. (GatEB's engine can't handle anything older than DROD -17.0.)

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

[Last edited by Trickster at 06-06-2013 07:43 PM]
06-06-2013 at 07:21 PM
Drgamer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 113
icon Re: Undo more than 1 move. (+1)  
Trickster wrote:
Suggestions for fractional-undo, algebraic-undo, transcendental-undo, and imaginary-axis-undo are still pending more brainstorming.
Did some brainstorming myself.

Fractional undo: Only a fraction of the player gets the undo. Perhaps this would work by taking the Beethro/player sprite, and split it up depending on the setting. For instance, if the fraction is set to 1/2, the sprite is split in half, vertically. Or horizontally, I suppose. And using it again would result in just a normal undo.

Using 1/3 once would result in 1/3 being 'undone', and 2/3 being left behind. A second time would have 2/3 'undone', and 1/3 being left behind. And of course, three times results in a normal undo.

Of course, if you try to make a move while at a fraction of an undo would result in death.

The possible exception would be if the player drank a haste potion, and the current fraction is at 1/2. In which case, it works like a normal undo.

Imaginary axis undo: Beethro/the player is taken off the screen. All other elements treat it as a regular undo. Using it again continues as a normal undo, but Beethro/the player is not brought back to the screen.

You can, however make 'normal' moves, but monsters don't move since you're not really there, just imaginary. You also don't really move at all, as the game doesn't really need to keep track at this point. Or you could think of it as the player being invisible, out of range of all monsters, and just hitting wait a bunch.

Alternatively: All changeable elements disappear. So the player, all monsters, all doors, all crumbly walls, and so on. Maybe even all secret walls. Since you can just right click on every single tile if you really wanted to, to find all the secret walls without destroying a single one.

Alternatively: The undo key does nothing, as it is imaginary now.

Algebraic: Maybe the set of regular, negative, fractional, and imaginary undos? Probably with other undos covering the other types of algebraic numbers. Though I can't think of anything in particular for them.

Maybe using a form of fractional undo for irrationals/numbers that can be turned into fractions? And complex numbers get a form of imaginary undo?

Transcendental: I have no clue whatsoever.
07-12-2013 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Transcendental undo launches a random game from your Steam library.

07-12-2013 at 07:27 PM
<<4567
Page 8 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Undo more than 1 move.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com