Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Chaco Says (The next logical installment of the long series)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
IP: Logged
icon Chaco Says (0)  
It's that time again!

In this game, I'll state a theme, and you will all have the chance to build a room based upon the theme. Actually, well, the only difference between this and Jeff_Ray Says is that I'm going to be the one stating the theme and doing the judging this time.

Your theme is:

Mirrors and Crumbly Walls

An entry consists of a hold with one level, containing one room, that can be conquered and exited by way of a staircase.

You have two weeks to submit entries. On 7:00 PM EST September 23rd, I will no longer accept entries. No registration required; just submit a room in this thread before the deadline and you'll be participating in this contest.

I'll be rating people by giving them a score of 1 to 10 in each of the three categories of Difficulty, Correctness, and Look.

Afterwards, your entry will be included in the People Say compilation, so please don't post your entry if you want to use it for something else or keep it to yourself.

Have at it! I'd like to see some creativity being flung around here. :)

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-22-2007 11:22 AM]
09-09-2007 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Chaco Says (0)  
I have a question: Will you insert Chaco says along with the Jeff_ray says compilation?

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

09-09-2007 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Oh, of course. This would be the third contest in the series that began with Jeff_Ray Says and Jeff_Ray Says unofficial. I may rename the compilation to something more generic, but since both Jeff_Ray Says Unofficial and Chaco Says are forum games, the hold will probably never be published anyway.

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-09-2007 04:03 PM]
09-09-2007 at 04:03 PM
Jeff_Ray...

File: Chaco Said Mirrors And Crumble Walls.hold (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
License: Public Domain
Here is my entry.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

09-09-2007 at 06:35 PM
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41

File: Chaco Says Mirrors and crumbly walls entry.hold (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
My hold-making skills are quite poor, sorry.
But here.I think I will probably be rated minimum.

09-10-2007 at 01:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Don't self-deprecate yourself, friend! Know that you are an architect unlike any other, and the joy of participation is the most important thing here.

Well, that and the fact that your work will be included in a compilation. I suppose I'd better go edit the rules a bit to include that.

09-10-2007 at 07:39 PM
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
I like this forum game more than Jeff_Ray... Says. It allows for more creative ideas.

09-11-2007 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
If you want small themes like this in Jeff_ray says, I can do that change.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

09-11-2007 at 08:49 PM
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
Nah. You can be the more specific type. Sometimes, I want a specific way to make a room, and the game delivers just that.

09-11-2007 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
There's only a week left to submit entries.

I've actually made an entry myself for the compilation - there's lots of puzzle potential in crumbly walls and mirrors!

Even if you don't think you can do a good job, just give it a go and make a room! It's fun, and you might get a good score if I think your room is fun to play! :)

09-16-2007 at 11:38 PM
Chaco
Only one more day, people! I must say, I'm rather disappointed with the amount of participation so far, but we have a couple of quality rooms here, and I'd like to see some more added to our collection! :)

09-22-2007 at 01:43 AM
Bingbing
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
I'd try, but I really stink at making rooms.

09-22-2007 at 02:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Are you suuuuuuuuuure? :)

You might not really stink at making rooms! :)

My face hurts. :)

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-22-2007 02:45 AM]
09-22-2007 at 02:45 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535

File: Kevins Chaco Says.hold (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Ok, why not... :)

09-22-2007 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Due to a few events that are going to happen to me today and tomorrow, I won't close the deadlines at 12:00 PM EST on September 23rd like I planned earlier.

Instead the deadline will be at 7:00 PM EST. That gives you all seven more hours to build a room!

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-22-2007 11:23 AM]
09-22-2007 at 11:22 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133

File: Entry for Chaco Says.hold (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Here's mine.

-Noah

My stuff:

[Last edited by NoahT at 09-23-2007 01:28 AM : Removed unintended solution]
09-22-2007 at 09:04 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
NoahT wrote:
Here's mine.

-Noah
Nice room! But just in case it's not intended:

09-22-2007 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Thanks! By the way, I removed the trivial solution.

-Noah

My stuff:

09-23-2007 at 01:29 AM
Chaco
icon Re: Chaco Says (+1)  
I will no longer accept submissions!

Judging should begin, uh, eventually. Hopefully soon.

09-24-2007 at 11:05 AM
Chaco
icon Re: Chaco Says (+1)  
Jeff_Ray

Difficulty: 6/10

I liked how you needed the Stalwart in certain places, but I don't think you developed the challenge enough - I completed your entry very quickly.

Correctness: 8/10

Both mirrors and crumbly walls are present, but I think puzzle is more about avoiding and using the Stalwart character, and the mirrors and crumbly walls are merely goals to accomplish or get around.

Look: 5/10

Didn't look like you spent much time decorating, but on the plus side there wasn't anything distracting from the puzzle.

Total: 19/30

Neathro

Difficulty: 4/10

This room was not very hard - I just had to move the mirrors to the pressure plates and go kill everything. The end bit was somewhat tricky but the room failed to challenge me, overall.

Correctness: 7/10

Mirrors and crumbly walls are present, but they only feel like part of the room that has to be done, not the objects of the room that provide puzzle potential. The end bit was something interesting involving mirrors, but the rest of the room was not about mirrors.

Look: 6/10

Like Jeff, you didn't spend much time decorating, but I'll give you another point because you actually blacked out the parts of the room that were irrelevant, thus placing focus on the main area. Nice job!

Total: 17/30

Kevin

I was actually somewhat disappointed with this room - I was expecting to need the Aumtlich to face diagonally in order to complete the room, but nope, just had to get the mirrors in front of the solid wall, then pin them vertically and horizontally. Not that the brained roaches and the crumbly walls were making that particularly easy.

Correctness: 9/10

Very good, but the crumbly walls felt more like a distraction and something to slog through rather than puzzle potential - I never had to consider very much about whether to break which walls (beyond the roaches) very much, I just had to carve a path through for the mirror. But you did a pretty good job incorporating the mirrors into the puzzle.

Look: 5/10

The symmetry was okay but not brilliant. The room looked kind of bland, but again this did not distract from the main purpose of the room - to kill everything.

Total: 20/30

NoahT

I don't much enjoy timers, but it was intriguing to try and cut as little crumbly wall as possible, for that would waste timer space. I mostly don't like timers because optimization of rooms serve as its own timer, and room-based timers just prune the lower half of people who aren't fast enough. But I think the timer worked very well in this room to make it decidedly non-trivial to complete. I'm just not sure this was difficult in the "right way".

Correctness: 10/10

I think you nailed this one - the entire puzzle is about pushing a mirror through slabs of crumbly walls, and doing it quickly yet!

Look: 6/10

Some improvement - the hard walls in the center made the room look a bit better, but there wasn't much decoration. Maybe some wall lights or something, or some different floorspace in the roach cage or the bomb area? Again, not much to distract.

Total: 22/30

It was very close, but I think NoahT's room is the best Mirrors and Crumbly Walls room.

I think I judged a bit harsher than Jeff_Ray tended to in his earlier contests, but I think it was for the better. Overall, I guess I expected you all to decorate the rooms a bit more, but I suppose you all thought it was a good idea to place the emphasis on the puzzle, and that you did well. You all did a great job and I had fun playing all of your entries. :)

I will post the compilation in a little bit, and you can explore each others rooms and my hub rooms, as well as playing my "entry" which I think is better than all of your rooms :P

09-25-2007 at 12:27 AM
Chaco

File: People Say.hold (164 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Yay, um, compiled.

The People Says compilation has been posted several times in several threads, so at some point I'll have to put it... somewhere.

I think it would be a good idea not to publish this hold, seeing as contests similar to Jeff_Ray Says will probably be held for eternity (or long enough that someone will always be adding more rooms into this hold)

10-03-2007 at 02:06 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Chaco Says (The next logical installment of the long series)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com