Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : new rooms
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Weg
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon new rooms (0)  
I have just downloaded the free game of Drod and it seems good.
Are there any drod games that forum members has done and can I try them out or do I have to get the full program first.

09-02-2007 at 10:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: new rooms (+1)  
I would recomand downloading the demo version of TCB here, (unless you've already done so) and then starting to look at usermade holds here. This way you can play all user made holds ever made using the latest software.

Of course I also recomand you to actually buy the full version of TCB :)

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 09-02-2007 10:27 AM]
09-02-2007 at 10:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Weg
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
I think I will bye the full version as I like what I see so far.
Will try other peoples first and later in the week will commit my self to paying some money out, but it seems very reasonable.

09-02-2007 at 10:39 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: new rooms (0)  
Weg wrote:
I think I will bye the full version as I like what I see so far.
Will try other peoples first and later in the week will commit my self to paying some money out, but it seems very reasonable.
As an extra bit of advice, I'd recommend actually playing The City Beneath (TCB) only after you've played the original two releases (King's Dugan Dungeon (KDD) and Journey to the Rooted Hold (JtRH)) as these introduce you to all the original game elements. TCB introduces lots of new stuff but assumes you already know about the original ones...
09-02-2007 at 10:23 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I don't know, I'm not a big fan of JtRH and I'm not sure that TCB is too tough for people that haven't played the previous ones in the series. Most of the puzzles are built around the new elements.

But then I really like TCB.

09-03-2007 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I really think that if someone's going to get just one, he/she should get TCB.

09-03-2007 at 02:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Jatopian wrote:
I really think that if someone's going to get just one, he/she should get TCB.
I would disagree. I would recommend that he/she should start with JtRH. It's damned good, and it prepares you well for TCB.

09-03-2007 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I agree with Calamarain and Syntax. Journey to Rooted Hold is a great hold for new DROD players. It is a reasonably thorough exploration of all the version 2.0 game elements with a nice difficulty curve - easy at the beginning to pretty tough at the end of 25 levels. :)

I truly enjoyed The City Beneath as well, but don't think it's as good a place to start. It introduces new game elements on top of the version 2.0 game elements. TCB does a good job teaching us about the new game elements. However, it assumes the player is already familiar with the old elements, with only 1 or 2 trivially easy tutorial rooms devoted to each.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 09-03-2007 04:05 AM]
09-03-2007 at 03:50 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Syntax wrote:
As an extra bit of advice, I'd recommend actually playing The City Beneath (TCB) only after you've played the original two releases (King's Dugan Dungeon (KDD) and Journey to the Rooted Hold (JtRH)) as these introduce you to all the original game elements.
I was only reiterating the opinion of the designers (with which I agree).
09-03-2007 at 05:31 AM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
If I may express my most humble opinion, I believe that KDD, to put it plainly is quite bad, and JtRH introduces all elements, also the one in KDD, excellently. I therefore think that there is no reason to play KDD at all(unless you already played some holds, got the feel for the game and want to try out a broader range of holds).
09-03-2007 at 12:50 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Dex Stewart wrote:
If I may express my most humble opinion, I believe that KDD, to put it plainly is quite bad, and JtRH introduces all elements, also the one in KDD, excellently. I therefore think that there is no reason to play KDD at all(unless you already played some holds, got the feel for the game and want to try out a broader range of holds).

Wow...I couldn't disagree with you more strongly, Dex.

KDD is showing its age, to be sure. It contains puzzles of a type that are discouraged these days: orb puzzles, trapdoors under tar, backtracking issues, etc. But it's still the original, and IMO it's extremely well-done.

The difficulty curve is much shallower in KDD -- JtRH reaches high difficulty levels very early.

I would recommend that people start with KDD2.0, be aware of a few specific warning points (like the backtracking issue on Level 8), and not be afraid to switch to JtRH when they feel like it.

Josh

09-03-2007 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
Huh? I never encountered a backtracking problem on the Eighth Level(official name).

Maybe it's because I didn't. Yeah, that's gotta be it.
Edit: So what backtracking problem ore you talking about?

[Last edited by Monkey at 09-03-2007 05:03 PM]
09-03-2007 at 05:02 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
To the east of the level, there is a room you can only get to if you use a specific exit out of the previous room right after clearing it.
09-03-2007 at 05:08 PM
Jatopian
I believe that was fixed for 2.0.

09-03-2007 at 05:12 PM
jbluestein
Jatopian wrote:
I believe that was fixed for 2.0.

Nope. I've only ever played 2.0, and I got bitten by this problem. It gave me added appreciation for the effort one needs to put in to prevent backtracking issues.

Josh

09-03-2007 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Huh? I thought we were discussing the one in 3S3E.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 09-03-2007 08:44 PM]
09-03-2007 at 07:29 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
I'm only aware of two possible backtracking issue in the Eighth Level of KDD, and both are now fixed in KDD 2.0. Which leaves the only possibility I can think of to be trapping yourself on the other side of a green door by clearing a room and then making some more Tar Babies.

Otherwise, it's possible to visit every room from any other room even when the entire level is cleared.
09-03-2007 at 08:05 PM
jbluestein
TFMurphy wrote:
I'm only aware of two possible backtracking issue in the Eighth Level of KDD, and both are now fixed in KDD 2.0. Which leaves the only possibility I can think of to be trapping yourself on the other side of a green door by clearing a room and then making some more Tar Babies.

Otherwise, it's possible to visit every room from any other room even when the entire level is cleared.

As I'm looking at the room map for KDD2.0 3S3E, it seems that there are green doors in places where I don't recall them being previously. Maybe I didn't actually play KDD2.0 after all? I thought that I had.

I certainly had to backtrack in 3S3E (Eighth Level) because I didn't exit north after conquering the room. But the version I played had secret rooms and checkpoints...I sure thought it was 2.0.

Josh

09-03-2007 at 08:43 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
The DROD: AE version available on the Holds board also has checkpoints. Although no rooms are marked as secret in that version (because the concept didn't exist back then) there are plenty of unrequired rooms, such as the warp rooms, the level 15 backtracking rooms, and a couple of easter eggs. (as well as everybody's favorite Eighth Level room, hidden by a secret wall and yet not a secret, and required on top of that)

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-03-2007 08:48 PM]
09-03-2007 at 08:48 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I definitely fixed the 3S2E backtracking problem in KDD2.0 before release, so I think Josh is just misremembering. :)

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-04-2007 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Oneiromancer wrote:
I definitely fixed the 3S2E backtracking problem in KDD2.0 before release, so I think Josh is just misremembering. :)

Must be. As you get older, the brain starts to go.

Jsho

09-04-2007 at 11:59 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
jbluestein wrote:

Jsho

Was that last error on purpose? It would be kind of fitting considering what you write :lol
09-05-2007 at 08:05 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Blondbeard wrote:
jbluestein wrote:

Jsho
Was that last error on purpose? It would be kind of fitting considering what you write :lol
"Dyslexics untie!" ;)

09-05-2007 at 08:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : new rooms
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com