Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Director of Department of Grand Constructions (Official activity for August.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Director of Department of Grand Constructions (0)  
The contest this month will be replaced with a community activity that should hold just as much challenge and drama as one of our traditional contests. Some people fear it will be a little too challenging and dramatic, or in other words, that small things will be taken too seriously and feelings will be hurt. It's a valid concern, but I think if the participants will keep a little goodwill and perspective, we will be just fine.

I find that people on the forum really want to be involved with Caravel and DROD. There's actually a large surplus of volunteer energy out there that we just don't know what to do with. I think we want a looser system than the current one. What is the current system? People e-mail me and ask if I want help with something, and I take a few weeks to get back to them with some response like:

"Sorry for replying back so late to this. I've just been horrendously busy! Yeah, what you said sounds great, and if you want to do it, that would be wonderful, and I'm sure people would appreciate it. I can't offer you much help on the project, because I'm stuck with some other tasks I'm already behind on. But I do wish you the best of luck and thanks very much for offering."

As much as I try to say that I value what the person is trying to do, I think my brief and delayed interactions have the effect of sending the volunteer down a lonely road by himself. I can't be surprised when he decides that road isn't very fun and decides to abandon it.

The other part of the current system is that certain permanent positions are filled by shoulder-tapping. "Shoulder-tapping" is the practice of myself and a handful of others quietly offering positions to people on our own initiative. There are many advantages to this method of finding volunteers, and I think it works pretty well. The trouble comes when the volunteer's enthusiasm for his position wanes. And it will! I always expect that eventually the day will come when somebody just doesn't get enough fun out of doing the job to make it worthwhile. The people helping us have a hard time figuring out what to do when that day arrives. There are these weird guilt trips and noble reaffirmations of duty, which I wish people wouldn't go through. For their own sake! And then we have the inevitable vacancy, which is always tinged with sadness and maybe a tiny bit of panic to put somebody new in the spot so we can carry on.

I want to fix these problems. We have here in this community the best participants for an experiment in virtual volunteerism. The forumites here are generally much more intelligent and good-natured than members of other game-related forums, and we have a long tradition of keeping the forum in a constructive spirit with scrupulous moderation. So this is the right place to try some new things. I think that some of these things I have in mind haven't been tried in any other online community, and we'll be forging into new territory.

We'll create a bureaucracy that will handle nearly all of the affairs of the DROD community. This bureaucracy would take control of some existing things we are doing, and then, like all good bureaucracies, expand into other areas. If we do this right, the bureaucracy will also accomplish many silly things that aren't really necessary. It will be joyful monstrosity! In the Caravellian Bureaucracy, our members are volunteers that want to have fun--not do a lot of boring work. Here is the guiding philosophy and tenets of our fledgling society:

* Many hands make light work. We will accomplish great things and make the forum a wonderful place with lots of people occupying various positions in the bureaucracy.
* Position duties should be designed to require the smallest amount of time possible. If a position can be broken down into smaller positions, with different people handling them, then it should.
* A person who takes a position can quit any time he wants for any reason. But he is expected to find someone to replace him before doing so.
* As soon as a position isn't fun or the person can't keep up with the duties, that person should find a replacement and step down.
* If more people want a position, we should keep inventing new things to do. Ideally, everybody that wants a role in the bureaucracy can find one.

The Bureaucracy will have a number of departments, each one concerning itself with one area of effort. We are going to start with just one--the Department of Grand Constructions. This department aims to promote the creation of tangible new things such as holds, artwork, writings, or music. It shall cause the embarkation of many projects, and ruthlessly prod the embarkers to completion.

In the Department of Grand Constructions, the following positions are required (for implications of "required" position status, please read Meta-Rules found on the Bureaucracy board):

* Director - General boss of the department. Creates, changes, and removes positions as well as making initial appointments.
* Chief Editor - Manages website content and recruits for more of it. Note that Patrick has retired from this position. He will also be appointing his replacement unless he can't find someone before the new Director is elected, in which case the Director will appoint someone.
* Artfinder - Finds art for projects
* Voicefinder - finds voice talent for projects
* Forum Reporter - Writes up topic picks and sends them to me once each month for inclusion in the Illumination.

The Director would appoint people to these positions after he's elected. After he's filled all the required positions, he can also appoint to optional positions of his own creation. There are many more optional positions which could be created.

Note that the current process for approving and publishing holds is something that was put together very cautiously with a lot of discussion and effort. We're not going to let it be changed significantly by the people in the Department of Grand Constructions, although there will be opportunities to influence it.

We will be electing the Director of the Department of Grand Constructions next. I would like to know who will run. Before you yell out, "meeeeeeeee!!!!!" you might consider if you're really a good person to do it. The Director should be someone with the following qualifications:

* Has played DROD for a while and participated in the hold building process.
* Is great at talking with other people and collaborating with them.
* Has a lot of enthusiasm for doing creative things.
* Doesn't start unnecessary arguments and considers people's feelings before speaking.
* Has about 4 hours each month to spare on Director duties.

If you think you could do the job well and want to do it, then by all means, announce your candidacy. You could also throw in behind somebody else that you want to be the Director, if not yourself. If you are a candidate, then expect to do some speechifying to convince people you're the right pick. Above all else, please remember to keep your goodwill and perspective.

I will wait about a week to see who announces and then we'll put up a poll. For more background information about how the new system will work, check out the Bureaucracy board!

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 08-20-2007 10:03 PM]
08-17-2007 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Director of Department of Grand Constructions (+2)  
Well, I'll be the first to officially throw my head in the ring. (Sorry, no hat.)

Should I speechify now?

I get stuff done. Self-managed projects are what I've done professionally for most of my career, and while I am not an architect I am a Hold Admin and greatly enjoy the process.

I'm reluctant to toot my own horn too loudly, as my general feelings about candidacies is that the person who wants it the most is probably the least qualified to do a good job, but I'm happy to entertain questions or offer opinions on particular subjects.

Also, I have never consumed human flesh in order to survive. Just wanted to put that out there.

Josh

08-17-2007 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Director of Department of Grand Constructions (+1)  
I'll also announce my candidacy for Director of Department of Grand Constructions.

Fellow bureaucratic citizens, I believe that it is important for people to participate in community activities, even if they are not contests or other prize-winning opportunities. I think that the bureaucracy as specified by Erik will be able to accomplish a lot with minimal actual effort on Erik's part, and furthermore direct talent to wherever it is needed, instead of the current system merely watching said talent flail about trying to organize itself.

By taking part in the election, you are in effect saying to Erik "You're right, Erik! I think that the bureaucracy will send us to greater places and a more productive society!" I, as well as all the other candidates, are completely qualified to handle the position, but what is truly important is the fact that you vote, and make your opinion matter, rather than actually electing a certain somebody to be more powerful than a certain other somebody.

If I am elected to Director of Department of Grand Constructions, I promise to fulfill all the duties of that position. Furthermore, I will try to answer any questions sent my way in a quick, responsive manner, and give help to anybody who demonstrates that they need it. I won't isolate myself from the general populace - I'll still post, and laugh, and comment, and give feedback.

Also, I will make it a rule that nobody's human flesh will be consumed if they make a statement to the effect of "I do not want my flesh to be consumed".

08-17-2007 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Director of Department of Grand Constructions (0)  
I'm not announcing my candidacy. I'm soliciting statements from candidates to the effect that they'll appoint me Chief Editor :)

08-17-2007 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
silver wrote:
I'm not announcing my candidacy. I'm soliciting statements from candidates to the effect that they'll appoint me Chief Editor :)

I think it's clear that any duly-elected Director would have to look long and hard at the available and willing candidates for all roles in the Department of Grand Constructions. The Chief Editor position requires good writing skills and creativity, and I think you would be able to do the job well. But I wouldn't commit to such an appointment without fully reviewing the pool of suppapplicants first.

For the record, I do not have a cannibalism problem.

Josh

08-17-2007 at 09:58 PM
silver
good answer. I think I should have said "soliciting opinions about my application for Chief Editor." Thank you.

So maybe I'm stuck in a pre-internet mindset, but I kind of want to know about the candidates ages and real-world work experience. I think the position is highly responsible and needs to be filled with someone who has some actual practice at this kind of responsibility.

08-17-2007 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I will vote for whoever might fit in a place for me as forum reporter. I actively read all the sub-forums, have time to compile topic picks each month, so feel like I would be a good candidate for the Forum reporter.

08-17-2007 at 10:15 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
ErikH2000 wrote:
* Hold Admins - The current hold admins are grandfathered into their positions. The only change is that we ask that when a hold admin gets tired of the job, he looks for his own replacement.
Erik, I ask that you not make that change. If someone, for instance, leaves the forum over some disagreement or under otherwise unhappy circumstances, I don't think they are going to necessarily choose the best person for the job.

When I made the HA system, I told the HAs they had the power to recruit more people or boot existing people without my intervention. Well, I'd have to physically add or remove people, but the group would make the decisions - after all, the group who remains are the ones who will have to work with the new person. It is my opinion that this would be best if not Tinkered with.

08-17-2007 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
jbluestein wrote:
I get stuff done.
I'm reluctant to toot my own horn too loudly.
I have never consumed human flesh in order to survive.
I know for a fact that one of these three is false, but I won't tell you which one.

I'm also officially taking the Pat Paulsen position on pretty much the entire bureaucracy: If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve. G-d knows I'd love to, but I just plain can't let myself get sidetracked into another timesink, not at this point in my career. (I should really stop playing DROD for a few years. And yet....)
08-17-2007 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Schik wrote:
When I made the HA system, I told the HAs they had the power to recruit more people or boot existing people without my intervention. Well, I'd have to physically add or remove people, but the group would make the decisions - after all, the group who remains are the ones who will have to work with the new person. It is my opinion that this would be best if not Tinkered with.
Okay, Matt, I'm fine with that arrangement, and we can keep it as-is if you want. I would suggest that a person who is leaving willingly carry an obligation to find their own replacement. In the case of the HAs, we can just say the departee's choice is only a suggestion and not a final decision.

-Erik

08-17-2007 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Am I understanding this correctly if we do not want the job of director, we are not part of this months contest. My record of consecutive contests is in jeopardy. Yikes.. :w00t

Is there a job of contest attender?

08-18-2007 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
Jason wrote:
so feel like I would be a good candidate for the Forum reporter.
There can be more than one of those...
right?

08-18-2007 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I removed "Hold Administrators" from the list of required positions for the Department. It will go under the Meta-Office instead, which is another way of saying that the Bureaucracy rules won't apply to it. Which is another way of saying "it ain't broke, so we don't fix it".

-Erik

08-18-2007 at 01:04 AM
ErikH2000
techant wrote:
Am I understanding this correctly if we do not want the job of director, we are not part of this months contest. My record of consecutive contests is in jeopardy. Yikes.. :w00t
I have a way of figuring out who participated, but as soon as I describe it, I think people will exploit my specific criteria. To put it generally, you should do one or more of these things to participate:
* Run for Director of the Department of Grand Constructions.
* Argue in support of a candidate. (Try not to argue against electing a candidate so much. We don't have such thick skins here.)
* Ask questions of the candidates that would help to make a decision.
* Discuss what you'd like to see in the new Department or what role you'd like the Director to play.

Basically, do or say or ask something useful related to the election or Department.

Another question people might wonder about: will there be prizes like normal contests? Yes, but I'm not going to describe how they'll be awarded.
Is there a job of contest attender?
Someone who participates in contests? Hmm. That doesn't seem like it would work as a position since there's a bunch of people doing it already without benefit of organization. When the Department of Challenges is formed, you could make a case for the position to the new Director of that Department.

-Erik

08-18-2007 at 01:18 AM
ErikH2000
golfrman wrote:
Jason wrote:
so feel like I would be a good candidate for the Forum reporter.
There can be more than one of those...
right?
I think this is a question you could ask the new Director. For myself, I would like to receive an e-mail from somebody with topic picks that I can use. If there was more than one person interested in doing it, there are ways to divide the labor, I suppose. I.e. one person take half the boards.

-Erik

08-18-2007 at 01:21 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
I'm not able to run for the Dept Director position myself due to lack of time (yay for thesis), but I am volunteering, should the new Director accept my services to take part of the duties. In particular, soliciting entries from and managing custom stuff for holds. Such as voice acting, themes, custom images, storyline scripts and so forth.

If you win the election and are interested in that kind of help, please let me know. I would generally support someone who has a lot of experience and is a long time forum member, in particular someone who's constructed at least one of their own holds. MeckMeck would be a good choice, as would Chaco and jbluestein, i.e. all of those who've currently put their names forward so far.

[Last edited by calamarain at 08-18-2007 01:50 AM]
08-18-2007 at 01:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Will the other directors be elected in the months following, or will they be this month, or what? Seems like a good waste of several contests.

And do the Directors get prizes à la normal contest?

Also, will Patrick be nominating a replacement for Chief Editor by the normal rules?
08-18-2007 at 04:11 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
ErikH2000 wrote:
I have a way of figuring out who participated, but as soon as I describe it, I think people will exploit my specific criteria. To put it generally, you should do one or more of these things to participate:
* Run for Director of the Department of Grand Constructions.
* Argue in support of a candidate. (Try not to argue against electing a candidate so much. We don't have such thick skins here.)
* Ask questions of the candidates that would help to make a decision.
* Discuss what you'd like to see in the new Department or what role you'd like the Director to play.

Basically, do or say or ask something useful related to the election or Department.

hrm. seems I've accidentally broken my non-participation record :)

(even though the candidates are ignoring my question)

coppro wrote:
Will the other directors be elected in the months following, or will they be this month, or what? Seems like a good waste of several contests.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=17033&page=2#199709

I wouldn't take that as meaning anything specific about how, when, or even IF the other positions will have elections

[Last edited by silver at 08-18-2007 05:16 AM]
08-18-2007 at 05:06 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I see we already have two candidates for the Director Position.

In the order filed:

MeckMeck GRE 08-10-2007 at 08:36 AM

jbluestein 08-17-2007 at 01:22 PM

Chaco 08-17-2007 at 01:45 PM

Chaco - I notice you also have a posting: 'Elect Chaco as your Director of the Challenges Department!' Are you seeking both or have you planning to only seek the other if you lose here? Which job would you really be happiest in?

jbluestein - Chaco has done a great job telling us his plans and qualification could you please tell us what are your plans and qualifications.

MeckMeck GRE - You were the first to seek this job. I found your announcement in the The Bureaucracy thread which you posted before this thread was started. I was wondering if you plan to post your desire to run on this thread as well? You are still planning to run right?

[Last edited by techant at 08-18-2007 10:24 AM]
08-18-2007 at 09:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Well, techant, I'm glad you asked that question. Somebody had to notice what was going on here!

Due to the fact that the Department of Emotional Services, Department of Orderly Disruptions, Department of Challenges, and all the Departments other than the Meta-Office and the Department of Grand Constructions currently do not exist, it makes absolutely no sense for me to run for director of a department that doesn't exist.

I could just wait a while for that particular department to be made, then continue my election campaign as though nothing had happened, but I want to establish a track record of action, not inaction! I want to show that even in a bureaucracy we can show some initiative and take opportunities when they arrive.

To be perfectly honest, I would be pretty happy in either position, but I would not take both. And why should I? Director is a pretty big job with a lot of responsibilities. Having to take care of two Departments would be very hard work for anyone who tried. Somehow I think someone in that position would stop having fun with their jobs much quicker that way.

So, in summary, as you can notice by the change in my signature, I'm only running for the one position of Director of Department of Grand Constructions, now that that's the only Department that currently exists right now. I'm not angry or bitter in any way that the Department of Challenges does not exist; I've accepted that it was a decision made by the Tinkerer and his word is always final on these matters. Now, today, I'm seeing if I can be the Director of the Department of Grand Constructions!

08-18-2007 at 11:29 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
techant wrote:
MeckMeck GRE - You were the first to seek this job. I found your announcement in the The Bureaucracy thread which you posted before this thread was started. I was wondering if you plan to post your desire to run on this thread as well? You are still planning to run right?

I'm still planning to run!
08-18-2007 at 11:32 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Tahnan wrote:
jbluestein wrote:
I get stuff done.
I'm reluctant to toot my own horn too loudly.
I have never consumed human flesh in order to survive.
I know for a fact that one of these three is false, but I won't tell you which one.
OK, I was lying. But I wonder: could the other candidates clarify their positions on cannibalism?
08-18-2007 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
I always try to get stuff done and usually I get stuff done.
I'm not going to be "Mr.Hard Guy" or unfair.
I never ate human flesh and I'm sure I'll never do. Cannibalism is a sin... or at least some very bad unhuman thing.
08-18-2007 at 06:02 PM
ErikH2000
coppro wrote:
I'm not sure how I'm going to pace the elections yet. It depends how this one goes. I can tell you that I won't make a contest out of every election.
And do the Directors get prizes à la normal contest?
There will be the normal allotment of prizes for this election, but I'm not describing how they'll be awarded yet.
Also, will Patrick be nominating a replacement for Chief Editor by the normal rules?
I offered that to Patrick, but I haven't heard back from him. So I think we'll just have the Director make an appointment.

-Erik

08-18-2007 at 06:50 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Hmmmm.... as of right now I'm leaning toward putting my vote in with Chaco, although my vote could easily be swayed to jbluestein with the proper answers.

A few questions for all interested in answering: If elected to head this department, what would you actually do to encourage the building of quality holds? And what would you be looking for in a candidate for the Chief Editor position?
08-18-2007 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
I am disqualifying myself for the position of Director due to certain dietary preferences, of which others have voiced their disapprobation. I had sincerely hoped that this campaign would not sink to such a level, but I must accede to the will of the public. If such a person as I may not serve, so be it.

But in all seriousness, the position of Director, as outlined by Erik, seems the most bureaucratic of all. Appointing people to positions, managing the work effort, but not necessarily contributing much to the creative work. An overseer. A manager. I guess basically I'm looking for someone who seems to be around all the time, all over the place, supporting the community and interacting well.

BbJ

08-20-2007 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
bflatjeff wrote:
But in all seriousness, the position of Director, as outlined by Erik, seems the most bureaucratic of all. Appointing people to positions, managing the work effort, but not necessarily contributing much to the creative work. An overseer. A manager. I guess basically I'm looking for someone who seems to be around all the time, all over the place, supporting the community and interacting well.
Ah, good man! This is the kind of realistic, self-evaluation that I like to see. You have probably made the right choice, Jeff, and there are going to be other positions that should be closer to your preferences, I think.

-Erik

08-20-2007 at 09:56 PM
ErikH2000
A few updates...

1. A while back I proposed to Patrick in e-mail that he find his own replacement for Chief Editor. I didn't hear back from him and assumed that he'd fallen in love or joined the circus or something. Too busy to mess with DROD stuff for this reason or that, I imagined. But it turns out that he is actively looking for a Chief Editor replacement. So if he finds somebody before the new Director is appointed, then that person will get the Chief Editor spot in the new department. Otherwise, the newly elected Director can appoint someone.

2. I removed "Prodder" from the list of required positions. The Prodder and Sacker positions seem problematic to me, so out they go.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 08-20-2007 10:02 PM]
08-20-2007 at 10:02 PM
ErikH2000
Oh, I almost forgot...

3. The election poll will be put up around the end of this week, and I'll let it run into September.

4. My second-most-needed department, the Department of Challenges will be formed next. The election process will be similar and start after we've elected the Director for the Department of Grand Constructions.

-Erik

08-20-2007 at 10:05 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
As a quick update on my end (And again, I apologize for the delay), but an offer for the position has been emailed to the candidate in question. With any luck, that person will take it, and that will be the end of that.

08-23-2007 at 04:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Director of Department of Grand Constructions (Official activity for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com