Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Not a Bug: Illiterate Seeps (Seeps, scrolls, and walls do not mix.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged

File: Seep and scroll.JPG (19.5 KB)
Downloaded 327 times.
License: Other
icon Not a Bug: Illiterate Seeps (0)  
Step One: Create a scroll on an empty piece of land.

Step Two: Place a wall under said scroll. The scroll is highlighted red.

Step Three: Create a character that set player role to Seep.

Step Four: Playtest room and try to read scroll. It should come up with periods instead of letters. See picture below.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 07-09-2007 07:25 AM]
07-09-2007 at 05:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: Bug: Illiterate Seeps (+2)  
Not a bug. Non-human and non-goblin player roles are deliberately illiterate.

EDIT: You might say that the inability for variables in scroll text to be parsed by illiterate player roles is a bug though - variables used in scrolls don't even show up as periods. Consistency would have the variables expanded before translated into periods. This would also save the scroll text routine later having to look up the variable '....' and finding it doesn't exist anyways.

(Fortunately, since all valid variable names must begin with a letter and periods are not valid characters in a variable name, we neatly sidestep the issue of illiterate characters being able to read text from translated variable names)

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 07-09-2007 06:29 AM]
07-09-2007 at 06:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Not a Bug: Illiterate Seeps (0)  
I dislike this strongly. It should be the architect's choice whether the player can read scrolls. And who decided every human player role should be literate? I wouldn't bet on every Stalwart being that bright, given their incompetence in other areas (like combat).

07-09-2007 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Not a Bug: Illiterate Seeps (+1)  
Actually, using the magic of variables, you can have the scroll say different things (periods, or actual information) depending upon whether your character has acquired literacy in your hold yet.

07-09-2007 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Chaco wrote:
Actually, using the magic of variables, you can have the scroll say different things (periods, or actual information) depending upon whether your character has acquired literacy in your hold yet.
Well, you can make a usually-literate character illiterate, but you can't make a goblin literate.
07-10-2007 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Tahnan wrote:
Well, you can make a usually-literate character illiterate, but you can't make a goblin literate.

You mean a rock golem ^_^ Goblins (and Goblin Kings) are already literate.
07-10-2007 at 09:50 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I mean a rock golem. OK, new bug report: goblins are apparently literate. What the heck? I mean, have you ever heard these guys?
07-10-2007 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Well, doing a Player role: Goblin (like in my hold-in-progress) and doing various things (dying, clearing a room) sure doesn't make him seem smart, but when they're normal enemies, face it, the only thing smarter than them would be a slayer.

Unless you're doing player role: goblin and the first enemy you kill is a slayer. Then slayers stop looking so smart.

07-10-2007 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Both the illiteracy of seep and assorted other monsters and the literacy of goblins are intentional :)

07-12-2007 at 11:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
trick wrote:
Both the illiteracy of seep and assorted other monsters and the literacy of goblins are intentional :)
Updated here too for completeness: player monster roles are no longer illiterate in 3.1

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-28-2007 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Not a Bug: Illiterate Seeps (Seeps, scrolls, and walls do not mix.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com