Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Mysteries Of The Deep (Version 8.3 out)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
goldenferret
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
IP: Logged
icon Re: Mysteries Of The Deep (0)  
Jeez... You're just crankin' out the versions now, aren'tcha. :D

09-19-2007 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
It looks like the cutscene in Eighth Level: The Entrance is supposed to set the variable buildersarrived to 1, but it does not. Subsequently, the builders will never arrive and I will never be able to go to level 11.

I will continue playtesting in the editor - would like to see these level 12 rooms :)

Beethro's "Oremites? How did they get there?" script needs an End command as well - it repeats every time the player enters the room.

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-20-2007 02:25 AM]
09-20-2007 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
The next-to-last level release is out. Please make sure you report any quirk, glitch, bug and trivial solutions, and comment. At this state of the hold making, it will be needed to make sure it passes to the Holds board sparkly-clean. :\

Happy Testing!

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-13-2007 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Twelfth Level: Once North Once West needs some way to get back past the red door. Some way to easily open the door near the eastern entrance of the room normally controlled by the pressure plate would also be nice.

Twelfth Level: Thrice North could use a checkpoint somewhere.

Twelfth Level: Thrice North Once West is a really hard room that's a lot harder than any of the other rooms on this level. I understand what needs to be done, but the amount of babies produced makes it really hard. I'd recommend either making this a secret room, or making it easier to execute by providing a speed potion, an invisibility potion, a clone potion, or something of that nature that makes the room a little less hard.

Also, I suspect it will be a lot easier to get to the secret in Quarce North if the player is using 3.1 due to the briars not escaping its trap, but as a convenience to the player could you shield the northern passage with some walls to make it easier for any version playing this hold?

Twelfth Level: Twice North Twice West needs either a staircase or some sort of "Go to level entrance" command placed at the southern end of the room, for right now it's just a dead end, and there's no way to go to level 13.

It looks like Thirteenth Level: Once South Once West should be an unrequired room, since it would be solvable if the blue door was dropped, but it doesn't seem solvable with the blue door raised (which it will be, since this room is required)

Thirteenth Level: Thrice South Once West is a cute idea for a room, but you can just switch to one of the clones on the pressure plates, kill the mimic, go back to the pressure plate, then switch back to the main room clone and solve room as normal.

Fourteenth Level: The Entrance the stairs in the center of the room end the hold instead of going back to the thirteenth level.

After solving Fourteenth Level: The Entrance, there either needs to be a way to backtrack through Fourteenth Level: Once West or some other way to get out of the trap you've placed the player in now that the platform's location has reset.

[Last edited by Chaco at 10-14-2007 02:43 PM]
10-14-2007 at 02:11 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Thank you. The bugs should be fixed. If there are problems with the new 3N, then tell me.

As of level 13, 3S1W, I didn't change the room because I didn't know how to change it without redoing the room completely.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 10-14-2007 05:22 PM]
10-14-2007 at 05:21 PM
Chaco
My apologies for not making this clear:

After solving Twelfth Level: Thrice North, it is impossible to return to that room and go up the northern passage without getting killed by briar. This makes the secret in Quarce North inaccessible. (I do appreciate that checkpoint though :) )

Twelfth Level Thrice North Once West is now much, much easier with the invisibility potion. Now I'm concerned it's too easy.

More comments as I skim over the rest of the rooms.

10-14-2007 at 08:19 PM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
For Fifteenth Level: Twice West, you don't have to use the mud-tar token. In fact, you don't even have to let the tar grow. You put Beethro on the upper pressure plate, and the mimic above the yellow door. Then you move south, and let the briar do the rest.
10-18-2007 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Thank you. This is now fixed.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-18-2007 at 01:06 AM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Breaking myself in with an easy one seeing as I haven't played DROD for a few months. Actually, one or two rooms aren't all that easy at first and may stump a couple of the audience this seems to be aimed at. Anyway, level 10, 3 east - no tar or gel left, just Beethro and the Slayer, but the black door hasn't dropped. Why's that then?
10-18-2007 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
It's an anti door. it shuts when the goal is accomplished.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-18-2007 at 08:56 PM
bandit1200
Ah! The light comes on!
10-18-2007 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level 12, 3 north, you can't return through that room after visiting the secret room.

edit: level 12, 2N1W, if you leave to the north before completing rooms to the south, you can't return to them. The briar is in the way.

Level 13, 1S. It may be intended, but you can easily kill the slayer, making it much easier to reach the orb.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 10-19-2007 12:36 PM]
10-19-2007 at 12:01 PM
Jeff_Ray...
For level 13: How did you do that?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-19-2007 at 09:02 PM
bandit1200
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
For level 13: How did you do that?

Push one of the mirrors into a corner.

There's a room (I forgot to make a note of the location) full of golems with two mimics. It's easy without using the mimics.

Level 12, 2N1W. If this hold is intended as a tutorial, I think you could do with more of a lead up as to how briars behave. I had no idea how to kill the brain and it was pure luck that I managed it in the end.

10-20-2007 at 08:59 AM
Jeff_Ray...
You mean the one with two decoys? Maybe it is, but the newer people will want to use them. Yes, I do admit it is possible that way, however. As of 13, 1S, I added a puddle of water and a wall, forcing the player to trash his mirrors.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 10-20-2007 02:03 PM]
10-20-2007 at 02:02 PM
Jeff_Ray...
VOICE TALENTED? COME HERE!

Sorry for the double post, but the hold is now finished! And you know what? You can have your voice in there too, and be credited in the end!

Characters:

Send your auditions VIA PM.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 10-20-2007 04:53 PM]
10-20-2007 at 04:49 PM
bandit1200
You still can't return through 2N1W of level 12
10-20-2007 at 06:18 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Why you can't go through? It works for me... :|

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-20-2007 at 06:43 PM
bandit1200
You can go north, but if you try to come back, the briars grow in the exit before you can get there.

Did you change L12, 3N1W? I can't beat that one this time round.
10-20-2007 at 11:45 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Yeah, it's true, hard to deal with 3.0 testers when you're using 3.1...

I'll get around it tommorow, as I need to get ready for sleep.

EDIT: As of 3N1W, it has an invisible potion.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 10-21-2007 02:00 AM]
10-21-2007 at 02:00 AM
bandit1200
Jeff_Ray... wrote:EDIT: As of 3N1W, it has an invisible potion.
Yep, that much is pretty obvious. :)

I'd beaten this room once, but when I imported the latest version, I noticed I no longer had a demo for this room which made me think you had changed something.
10-21-2007 at 01:27 PM
Jeff_Ray...
bandit1200 wrote:
You can go north, but if you try to come back, the briars grow in the exit before you can get there.

Ok, I fixed this up. Doors will destroy the roots when the room is completed.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-21-2007 at 02:22 PM
bandit1200
Level 13 1S1E told me I was too slow after I'd beaten the room.

L13 2S1E has me stumped. I can't figure out how to get to the eyes. I assume I need to use the mirrors somehow, but don't know how.

edit: Duh! Well, it has been a while since I played. :/

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 10-24-2007 06:48 PM]
10-21-2007 at 02:47 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
By the way, you can't send files via PM... I'm unsure how others have done it, but you might need to PM those who wish to take part an email address for submissions. Either that, or speak to calamarain who is the Voicefinder.
10-22-2007 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
You can use hosts to upload your files with. :/

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-22-2007 at 09:18 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
You can use hosts to upload your files with. :/
I know. I was just letting you know that you can't send stuff via PM hence me quoting you:
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
10-23-2007 at 01:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
I'm not really sure how you're supposed to kill that isolated roach in Fifteenth Level: Once South Once West.

Other than that, the rest of the rooms on the level look pretty good. If this is the final level, then I'm pretty satisfied with the job you've done with the hold.

10-24-2007 at 01:04 AM
bandit1200
I've spent so much time placing decoys in L14, 1E that I'm beginning to think the game is in black and white. :~(
Best I've managed so far is 2 golems left that the guard can't reach.

On the other hand, I loved 1N,2W, simple as the room looks.
10-24-2007 at 06:59 PM
Chaco
L 14 1E is definitely my least favorite room on the level - the one approach that finally did work for me didn't make me feel smart for figuring it out, just lucky.

If you want my demo I will post it.

10-24-2007 at 07:26 PM
bandit1200
Please! A couple of hours placing decoys is more than enough for me.
10-24-2007 at 07:37 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Mysteries Of The Deep (Version 8.3 out)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com