Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Is it possible?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon Is it possible? (0)  
Alright, so I would like to make a small widget that forces the player to be visible to continue, but nothing I tried works. Is it possible to do with AE objects?

Thanks in advance.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-28-2007 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Is it possible? (+1)  
A snake outside the "smelling range" and a green door?
Or any other monster you need to come towards you to kill a snake.

Or (if you need the green door still closed): a setup with a roach and force arrows such that if you *were* invisible and then became visible past the point in question you'd cause the roach to walk over an arrow and become inaccessible.

If that makes sense.

05-28-2007 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
starwed
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 49
icon Re: Is it possible? (0)  
The goal is to force visibility at a point A. Place a monster at some other point, such that, if the player is invisible, it will be lured into a dead-end as beethro passes A. To prevent this, the player must become uninvisible, and lure the monster away from the danger point before preceding. Depending on how your invisibility potions are placed, you might need to use an orb-gate combo to hold the monster still until the player continues.

I'm not sure how small this setup could be made; the fact that monsters will only act differently if you're more than 5 squares away limits this.

In JtrH, there are some better ways to do this using wubbas, I think. And in TCB, an evil eye and a pressure plate makes it really easy.

As I wrote that last line, I thought of another way to do it in AE. Place an evil eye such that it can only be awakened if you're at point A, and visible. If you proceed beyond point A, a roach queen will start running away from you; if the evil eye hasn't been awakened, it will flee into a dead-end. Thus, you must be visible before passing point A.

[Last edited by starwed at 05-28-2007 10:15 PM]
05-28-2007 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
starwed
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 49
A snake outside the "smelling range"
Actually, this is probably the best way if the player starts the room invisible, and only switches once. (Or must become invisible quickly.) If the snakes head is out of smelling range, and it's tail blocks the passage, then beethro will have to be visible to get it out of the way.

It would be easier to give advice if some more constraints were given. :)
05-28-2007 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I guess the second idea should work...

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-28-2007 at 10:16 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I've an idea! Don't use invisibility!
05-28-2007 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
Using trapdoors, you can do this. Put an evil eye in a location outside of the smelling range. Put trapdoors on both sides. Since the player can only walk past the spot once, they'll have to be visible. To kill the evil eye, just use a hot tile!
05-28-2007 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Is it possible?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com