Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Elemental Showcase (Our Contest for May)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
IP: Logged
icon Re: Elemental Showcase (+1)  
Yes, that's what you're supposed to do.
05-19-2007 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Elemental Showcase (0)  
Ok, this is the 'Under 1 day till the submission topic closes' post. Yeah, the post where I warn you guys to make last minute checks and submissions. :)
05-20-2007 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
Sorry. I can't play. I don't have time to finish my entry why i'v got some work today.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
05-20-2007 at 06:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
I'm not sure if I made it clear enough before, but remember, Each tarstuff, it's mother and it's baby is a separate element.
05-20-2007 at 01:04 PM
Dex Stewart
I'm just curious: is there any particular reason explaining why you brought this up again?
05-20-2007 at 01:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Hmmm, I should also probably should make it clear that builders and all their commands and components should be considered as one element.

RE: Dex,
Yeah, I was checking through the submissions and I found I had failed to fully clarify some things (several people had made the same/similar mistake/s). Seeing as its partially my fault, I thought I ought to tell everyone.
(subtle hint that people should check their submissions, its not too late!)

Remember, you can only showcase ONE element
05-20-2007 at 01:25 PM
Dex Stewart
Oh man this is killing me :). I did come up with a 4th room, but it's quite unimaginative (so I don't want to include it in the finished hold) and am struggling to make a 5th before the deadline... wish me luck :P.
05-20-2007 at 02:19 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
I see ny entry already has a few downloads, but there is one room I want to ponder with a little. Would it be too inconvenient for me to update it at this point?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

05-20-2007 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
I'm quite sure he'll download again right after the deadline.
05-20-2007 at 10:38 PM
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
welll maybe i should edit mine so that it is more focused, but it isn't exactly random slayers and guards (or veeeeerrrrry specific e.g. stalwarts vs. guards)

Edit: not in 6 hours though, not long enough, but if i am specifically asked to refine it I will...

[Last edited by Neathro at 05-20-2007 10:51 PM]
05-20-2007 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Neathro wrote:
welll maybe i should edit mine so that it is more focused, but it isn't exactly random slayers and guards (or veeeeerrrrry specific e.g. stalwarts vs. guards)
Don't worry about that, I think the judges can really understand whether you are okay or not. And I think the judges will be more lenient since it's not your fault.

Although I must say it is nice to know that rules can be changed even on the very last day. At least I know I can better wait for the very last change before doing something...

-- Tim

05-21-2007 at 12:14 AM
NiroZ
RE: Dex
You can get away with 4 rooms

RE: Noah
You can update at any time before the end time.
The multiple downloads is from my download manager.

RE: Nethro
Well you've got a very specific one. In your case, (because guards are not a TCB element) it's stalwarts.

Although I must say it is nice to know that rules can be changed even on the very last day. At least I know I can better wait for the very last change before doing something...

RE: Tim
:blush I can't say I'm impressed myself. I had actually stated
*Elements that come hand in hand, like Gel Mothers, Gel and Gel babies, shall be left up to the entrant and the voters to decide which element was the focus.
I just failed to clarafy that it meant that each individual part of tarstuff was an element (thus tarstuff being 9 elements in total, with 3 of which(gel) are useable in the contest). The only real change I made at the last minute was that builders and their components are one element. I think in the future I'll have a last week lockdown, where after that I won't check through peoples entries and see where I stuffed up.

I'm very glad I didn't allow player roles. I've made enough confusion as it is.

EDIT: Feel free to mod me down, I think I deserve it.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-21-2007 02:21 AM]
05-21-2007 at 02:20 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Elemental Showcase (+1)  
It's fine, NiroZ. Running a contest is not easy work, and no rule is ever safe from the clutches of ambiguity.

If it makes you feel better, know that at least one person, me, thought you did a good job with the contest and specified what was to be done adequately.

05-21-2007 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
I just realised something that makes me a rather large goose. Erik has yet to release the illumination for this month. As such, I should be releasing a '3 day's after the illumination is released extension' to be flawlessly consistent.

So everyone, take a deep breath and say 'Thank God Erik's late, and NiroZ is a goose.' And then laugh.
05-21-2007 at 03:07 AM
NiroZ
Ok, updated first post
*Elements that come hand in hand, like Gel Mothers, Gel and Gel babies, are all considered separate elements. Same applies for the 3 different types of Pressure plates. Again, builders are an exception to this rule, and all of the components that make a builder should be considered one element.
05-21-2007 at 03:12 AM
NiroZ
And one more thing. Does anyone have an objection to me making a rule that all holds should be compatible with DROD version 3.0.0?

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-21-2007 04:28 AM]
05-21-2007 at 03:15 AM
NoahT
Well, I've been using the last beta build prior to TCB's release, just so you know.

-Noah

My stuff:

05-21-2007 at 03:29 AM
NiroZ
NoahT wrote:
Well, I've been using the last beta build prior to TCB's release, just so you know.

-Noah
Well you can use this program to convert back to 3.0.0. My main concern is that someone might be making use of the bug fixes that are in 3.0.2 r2, and thus not want to change.
05-21-2007 at 03:36 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
*inhales*

Thank God Erik is late and NiroZ is a goose.

I may have time to do what I originally intended.

Or maybe I'll fritter my time away again. :/

ho ho ho.
05-21-2007 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
NiroZ wrote:
NoahT wrote:

-Noah
Well you can use this program to convert back to 3.0.0. My main concern is that someone might be making use of the bug fixes that are in 3.0.2 r2, and thus not want to change.

Well, to be more specific, I'm still using Build 37. And considering the Build 38 changes listed on the TCB Beta board, none of my rooms should be broken. Unless I'm mistaken, aren't Build 38 and 3.0.0 the same thing? Since I have Build 37, I can't be sure.

-Noah

My stuff:

[Last edited by NoahT at 05-21-2007 04:22 AM]
05-21-2007 at 04:11 AM
NiroZ
NoahT wrote:
Well, to be more specific, I'm still using Build 37. And considering the Build 38 changes listed on the TCB Beta board, none of my rooms should be broken. Unless I'm mistaken, aren't Build 38 and 3.0.0 the same thing? Since I have Build 37, I can't be sure.

-Noah
Well I haven't checked your latest edit, but your hold did open fine in 3.0.2 r2.
05-21-2007 at 04:28 AM
NoahT
I was refering to changes in elemental behavior, just so you know.

-Noah

My stuff:

05-21-2007 at 07:26 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I only have the demo and it is 3.0.1 so willl I be able to test everyones entries?

05-21-2007 at 07:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
*Your entry must be compatible with DROD 3.0.0 or DROD 3.0.1. If you're using 3.0.2 r2, you can use this utility to make it compatible with DROD 3.0.0.
Hopefully this should sort out problems with people making their holds in different versions of DROD.
05-21-2007 at 07:57 AM
Neathro
where's the poll???

05-21-2007 at 12:55 PM
NiroZ
05-21-2007 at 01:00 PM
Neathro
Nooooooooooo wait!!! i have to use scriptConv on mine!!!
EDIT: hang on no i don't!

[Last edited by Neathro at 05-21-2007 02:29 PM]
05-21-2007 at 02:15 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
NiroZ wrote:
*Elements that come hand in hand, like Gel Mothers, Gel and Gel babies, are all considered separate elements. Same applies for the 3 different types of Pressure plates. Again, builders are an exception to this rule, and all of the components that make a builder should be considered one element.
Okay, let me say that I don't think you are clear enough yet, and I want to ask for some clarification:

Now I can understand from this that if your theme is Gel Mothers, you cannot have a room with only Gel Babies.

What if your theme is Hot Tiles? Is it possible to have a room with Gel Mothers, and another with only Gel Babies? (For the obvious reason that Hot Tiles works well with Gel.)

Note that I am not even considering to enter this contest, so I think I am allowed to ask this question.

05-21-2007 at 07:57 PM
Dex Stewart
Well, I don't know what NiroZ would say to that, but I always found that rule to be ridiculous. What I would say?

*ahem*

It is left to the voter's discretion. Dot, point, end!
05-21-2007 at 08:17 PM
NiroZ
Dex Stewart wrote:
Well, I don't know what NiroZ would say to that, but I always found that rule to be ridiculous.
Which rule are you referring to? And how exactly do you intend to vote?

Tim wrote:
Now I can understand from this that if your theme is Gel Mothers, you cannot have a room with only Gel Babies.

What if your theme is Hot Tiles? Is it possible to have a room with Gel Mothers, and another with only Gel Babies? (For the obvious reason that Hot Tiles works well with Gel.)
You can have as many elements as you want in your hold. The issue is that you must highlight one of them. So if you have a gel clearing room, it's inevitable that you are going to have gel babies. But the fact that the puzzle revolves around Gel means that that is the element that you're showcasing. Same goes for a gel-hot tile room. The element that is the crux of the puzzle is the one that you're showcasing. Yes, sometimes a room might have multiple crux's, but as long as there is one familiar element throughout the hold, you should be fine.

Note that I am not even considering to enter this contest, so I think I am allowed to ask this question.
What? You can ask questions even if you are concerned over people nabbing your idea's, PM me.
05-21-2007 at 11:52 PM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Elemental Showcase (Our Contest for May)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com