Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Halph and Slayer
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
IP: Logged
icon Halph and Slayer (+1)  
If, in the editor, you put slayer to enter from a room passage (when the tile becomes light violet) the Slayer will follow you in the room. Same thing for Halph. But, if ther's the Slayer, you can copy-paste Halph on the same entrace as the Slayer, and both will follow you.

03-15-2007 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Halph and Slayer (0)  
vittro wrote:
If, in the editor, you put slayer to enter from a room passage (when the tile becomes light violet) the Slayer will follow you in the room. Same thing for Halph. But, if ther's the Slayer, you can copy-paste Halph on the same entrace as the Slayer, and both will follow you.
What do you think should happen in this scenario?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-15-2007 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
icon Re: Halph and Slayer (+1)  
I thought that was a bug because there's a beep sound alert everytime it happens. Oh, and if I explained bad, ther's a screen :

03-15-2007 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Halph and Slayer (+1)  
I don't think this is particularly wrong by itself (I don't see a reason not to allow it), but the assertion errors should be dealt with:
DROD:Assertion error in line 1613 of /build/DROD/DROD17/DRODLib/DbRooms.cpp: "!(bHalphEnters && bSlayerEnters)"
DROD:Assertion error in line 2294 of /build/DROD/DROD17/DRODLib/CurrentGame.cpp: "!(bHalphEnters && bSlayerEnters)"
Of course, the easiest way to handle this would probably be to make Halph replace the Slayer.

Another related thing is that you can copy Halph inside the room as many times you want to get him cloned. Only one of them can open doors, though. The expected behaviour here, I think, would be to always delete the "old" Halph from the room, like when you place him the "normal" way.

Edit: It works the other way around as well. That is, you can copy a Slayer on top of Halph.

[Last edited by Stefan at 03-16-2007 01:01 AM : open orbs? whoops]
03-15-2007 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
It may be a new feature. The beep sound and the error bug will be fixed, and now, with 3 more turns of delay, Halph can enter with the Slayer.

03-15-2007 at 04:31 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Stefan wrote:
Another related thing is that you can copy Halph inside the room as many times you want to get him cloned. Only one of them can open orbs, though.
What? Why can't the others open orbs, if they've all performed "turn into monster"?

03-16-2007 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
He's talking about Halph himself, not a character.
03-16-2007 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
This is pretty inconsistent since multiple Slayer NPCs can turn into monsters, and then all run the Slayer algorithm.

03-16-2007 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
As can Halphs.

He's saying that if you copy-paste a bunch of Halphs, they don't all follow.
03-16-2007 at 12:54 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
No, they all follow, but they don't open doors (only the first in the move sequence does).

Actually, I don't really see a problem with that, because there's only one true Halph, the others are just "bad design" (architect error). Besides, how would the game know which one should try to open the door you bump into? All of them?

And just to be clear, I was talking about the non-scripted Halph. However, the same thing (only one of them opens doors for you) applies to scripted ones.

[Last edited by Stefan at 03-16-2007 01:03 AM]
03-16-2007 at 01:00 AM
schep
Rank Points: 864
There's no actual difference between copy-and-pasted Halphs and formerly-scripted Halphs. The game just doesn't expect two to be in the same room at the same time.
03-16-2007 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Stefan wrote:
I don't think this is particularly wrong by itself (I don't see a reason not to allow it), but the assertion errors should be dealt with:
DROD:Assertion error in line 1613 of /build/DROD/DROD17/DRODLib/DbRooms.cpp: "!(bHalphEnters && bSlayerEnters)"
DROD:Assertion error in line 2294 of /build/DROD/DROD17/DRODLib/CurrentGame.cpp: "!(bHalphEnters && bSlayerEnters)"
Of course, the easiest way to handle this would probably be to make Halph replace the Slayer.
Fixed.
Another related thing is that you can copy Halph inside the room as many times you want to get him cloned. Only one of them can open doors, though. The expected behaviour here, I think, would be to always delete the "old" Halph from the room, like when you place him the "normal" way.
Now only one instance of "real" Halph in the room will be enforced in the room editor.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-12-2007 11:45 PM]
04-12-2007 at 11:45 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Halph and Slayer
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com