Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Mega Man Eighth Alpha (Alpha being the release, not the subtitle)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged

File: Mega Man Eighth.hold (24.5 KB)
Downloaded 229 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Mega Man Eighth Alpha (+1)  
I'm excited to show off what I've been working on recently. In short, I've been borrowing heavily from MetDROiD innovations to create a hold with Mega Man inspired gameplay. What do I mean by that?

The core of Mega Man Eighth is its weapon select system. The hold is seperated into eight "bosses", each of which unlocks a monster type you can use to fight other bosses. The catch is that each boss has a particular weakness, like the Mega Man games. In this hold, this hopefully leads to a particular sequence that you must follow, figuring out what each boss's weakness is along the way.

I'm not explaining myself well. What I ask of you guys is to give it a shot.

This is an alpha release intended to get rid of major sequence bugs early. All eight bosses are playable and the hold is completable, but some of the rooms are likely to be changed as they are a tad simplistic or under-designed. As you play through this (preferrably without looking in the editor and unlocking all weapons immediately), please keep track of the order in which you completed the levels and the weapons you used on each boss and let me know. This would help me greatly.

Additionally, I'm welcome to all kinds of feedback. I'm sure there are bugs all over the place. Hopefully none of the stair mapping kind, though, if I could be so fortunate. I'm also up for new ideas for names, story, and whatnot. I will be adding a Dr. Wily sequence in the future as well.

Thanks for your help, everybody!

Edit: Version 2 attached, adding weapon functionality in the goblin room and preventing Halph from being earnable right away.

Edit: Version 2.1 attached. I overlooked some more weapon script.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 03-06-2007 03:22 PM]
03-06-2007 at 07:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
icon Re: Mega Man Eighth Alpha (0)  
I am starting to try this out.

Question: What weapon do you start out with? I can't seem to activate any weapon.

03-06-2007 at 07:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
O.K., Halph is easy enough to get without any other weapons. (A little too easy.) I'm having problems activating him in some of the levels though. I can't activate him in the queen, wubba, spider, or goblin levels. Since it looks like I need him in the goblin room that pretty much brings progress to a halt.

As I said, I've only gotten Halph. However, having to walk up through all the levels was really annoying. I realise this may be a limitation of the engine, but a shortcut would be nice if possible.

Also, you might want to add some pre-boss rooms on each level. In a typical MegaMan game you went through a themed level before reaching each boss. Since for the most part you relied on you Megablaster exclusively during these sections, you wouldn't have to worry about weapon-activating for these rooms while still remaining in the MegaMan spirit.

Lastly, TCB is due out in the immediate future. While you wouldn't neccesarily want to add new elements to the hold, there may be new scripting features that you'll want to take advantage of. For a "gimmick" hold like this one it's something to keep in mind.
03-06-2007 at 09:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Here's what I've accomplished:

Click here to view the secret text

03-06-2007 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Correction - R. Golem also works in that room. However, even if you could put the golem into the box (which I'm not sure you can) it wouldn't do any good against the goblin's superior go-around-things algorithm.

03-06-2007 at 12:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
I've now got Halph, Spider, and WWing. I still can't use a weapon in the Goblin room; but, I can now use all three weapons in the Wubba room. To be clear, with only Halph as a weapon I couldn't use him in the Wubba room; now that I have three weapons I can use him.

Apparently the same goes for the Queen room, I couldn't use Halph before and now I can. I've got four weapons now. Like Doom said, the Queen can be "fired" in the Goblin room; the others can't. (Having trouble getting the golem, so I can't check it.)
03-06-2007 at 01:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Shoot shoot shoot.

Okay, I'm going to fix the Goblin room when I get home this evening so all weapons work. You are going to be blocked on that one.

Additionally, I didn't intend for Halph to be collectable at the start.

03-06-2007 at 03:00 PM
RoboBob3000
Okay, I actually found a couple of minutes to clear up those bugs. Version 2 is now attached in the top post.

Edit: Now version 2.1. Sigh.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 03-06-2007 03:22 PM]
03-06-2007 at 03:13 PM
RoboBob3000
Doom wrote:
Could I trouble you for a demo of that?

03-06-2007 at 03:24 PM
RoboBob3000
KevG wrote:
To be clear, with only Halph as a weapon I couldn't use him in the Wubba room; now that I have three weapons I can use him.

Can you reproduce this? Remember your sword orientation.

As a side note, I was going to have a mimic character point at each weapon selection, but this bug screwed me up.

03-06-2007 at 03:29 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226

File: MME Incoherent Amphibian 1E Queen.demo (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Doom wrote:
Could I trouble you for a demo of that?
Actually, it worked now because I didn't realise the orb toggled first time through. There's another way to do the goblin room? Demo in this post.
Edit: Oh, I see, you were supposed to use the golem. Done it both ways now.

I completed the hold now. Without killing the exit guard, that is (;))

[Last edited by Doom at 03-06-2007 04:04 PM]
03-06-2007 at 04:00 PM
KevG
RoboBob3000 wrote:
KevG wrote:
To be clear, with only Halph as a weapon I couldn't use him in the Wubba room; now that I have three weapons I can use him.
Can you reproduce this?
Apparently not. I restarted under the old version and this time I was able to summon Halph in the Queen and Wubba rooms even when he was the only weapon. Not sure what happened before, guess I must have screwed up. If not, you've got one heck of a weird bug.

Starting the new version now.
03-06-2007 at 04:57 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
You forgot to put invincibility on the final door. :D

03-06-2007 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
which level should I do first? I don't knbow where to start, as all rooms seem to be impossible without a weapon...

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

03-09-2007 at 01:51 PM
KevG
Try the spider level.
03-09-2007 at 01:59 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
How do I do it?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

03-09-2007 at 02:09 PM
KevG
To get a spider out:

03-09-2007 at 02:25 PM
Chaco
I've done this, but I found it really difficult (read: not doable by me) to actually put the spider in the snake cage.

03-09-2007 at 03:59 PM
KevG
To put the spider in with the snake:
03-09-2007 at 04:23 PM
Enigmatologist
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
icon Re: Mega Man Eighth Alpha (+1)  
Whoo! Another fun concept from RoboBob. What I used (megaspoilers here):

One bug - the far northwest stairs in the main level seem to end the hold instead of... doing what the ending says they'll do. ;)

05-10-2007 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Thank you for the kind words. You're right that each weapon should be used once. Right now there's a bug that allows the goblin to be killed by two different weapons.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm going to revisit this concept with the 3.0 engine or just clean it up more with 2.0. It was awfully hard to come up with some restriction systems so that each room required one particular monster while still avoiding obviousness and triviality.

05-10-2007 at 03:30 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Of course, the ability to use variables ("Set var Spider Weapon = On") makes it much easier, to say nothing of not forcing the player to walk down eight sets of staircases. Which isn't to say that it's necessarily worth changing it all, but.
05-11-2007 at 07:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
RoboBob3000 wrote:
I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm going to revisit this concept with the 3.0 engine or just clean it up more with 2.0.

I liked this hold very much several months ago when you released this version. What are your plans regarding this hold, now that 3.0 actually has been released?

01-24-2008 at 02:01 AM
RoboBob3000
I've considered revisiting the concept. The 3.0 engine would give me the freedom to basically start from scratch without much of a problem. There are a couple of rooms I'd likely reuse (my favorite is the golem room, for it's complexity in its apparent simplicity), but there are others I won't, and as a result I'd have to reorder quite a bit. I'd also like to work in 3.0 elements as well. A bunch of planning will be needed to get it all right.

I think I'll probably rework this again in the future. Just not yet. I'm currently prototyping another project I'm quite excited about right now. If anybody would like to run with this idea, be my guest.

C h a l l e n g e !
 Defeat Insect Matriarch using only your standard weapon!  

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 01-24-2008 03:27 AM]
01-24-2008 at 03:26 AM
vinheim
Rank Points: 300
Stealth Arachnid: No weapon
Aeronaut Vampire: The wubba
Insect Matriarch: Halph
Incoherent Amphibian: The wubba
Horrifying Spectre: The goblin
Styrofoam Cupcake: No weapon (this room was killer without knowing about the seep)
Unattentive Nephew: The wubba
Granite Ogre: What's the easiest way to do this?
01-25-2008 at 11:45 AM
Chaco
vinheim wrote:
Granite Ogre: What's the easiest way to do this?

I used R. Queen to complete that room.

01-26-2008 at 02:37 AM
vinheim
I see the solution with R. Queen. but it seems killer. Any other ways? If not, i'll try out the R. Queen today.

EDIT: A great concept for a DRoD hold. Waiting to see an expanded version with some more weapons. Btw, are you using JTRH for making this hold?

[Last edited by vinheim at 01-26-2008 05:00 AM]
01-26-2008 at 04:59 AM
RoboBob3000
vinheim wrote:
Styrofoam Cupcake: No weapon (this room was killer without knowing about the seep)
Oh man, I'd love to see this one. Trouble you for a demo?

01-26-2008 at 08:00 AM
vinheim
Unfortunately, I played this room from the 'Build levels' menu option, so I have no demo. What I did though was trap the roach on the wubbas before the green doors, sword pointing up. I moved downwards, the wubba between me and the roach moved down. I moved up, so the roach could not go diagonally past my sword or go vertically downwards (its preferred move) so it moved horizontally above my sword. I killed it and rushed upwards. Note that without Beethro killing the roach as high as possible and without Beethro's sword up, you could not normally beat this. (It's actually the first I beat)

MAJOR EDIT: Nevermind, my memory just told me that I only beat this room becuase I removed half the wubbas in the editor south of the green door room and reomved half wubbas in the green door room. Sorry, not really possible

[Last edited by vinheim at 01-26-2008 11:37 AM]
01-26-2008 at 11:33 AM
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
How do you get the R.queen? I have spider and W. wing

[Last edited by Chaosgamer at 07-08-2009 09:44 PM]
07-08-2009 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Mega Man Eighth Alpha (Alpha being the release, not the subtitle)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com