Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Interface Change (Our Contest for February.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged

File: sample.PNG (15.1 KB)
Downloaded 175 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Interface Change (+2)  
Warning, you have negative 894 weeks, 4 days to submit your entry or make sure that your entry is the best it can be. HURRY!

Since ye olde days of Webfoot DROD, one of the things which have changed the least has been the interface. Ok, sure, they added a clock in Journey to the Rooted Hold, but other than that and a few face lifts, there have been no significant changes to the DROD UI. Well, lets have a crack at changing that, shall we?

And before everyone gets scared way, I must emphasis that this is not an art contest, it's a design contest.

Instructions
Design a new DROD User Interface (the screen that you see as you play the game) in a 800 pixels across and 600 pixels high area. Inside this rectangle, there should be a rectangle scaled somewhere between 655 by 550 to 509 by 430 fitting somewhere inside the 800 by 600 area. This will be the playing area, and rest assured that players won’t like you tampering with this area. Other than that you may squish, squash, stretch, bend or malformed, entirely at your whim.

If you find that set of instructions hard to understand, check the attached image. The black area shows where you can resize the playing area. Note that you can move the playing area anywhere the image.

Requirements
With this submission, you should include:

1. An appropriate title (so that I don’t have to name you something generic as ‘Contestant X’, and so that the voters get a brief summary of your entry)

2. A legend detailing the different parts of your interface, which should include (but are not restricted to):
Portrait
Clock
Map
Directions on how to reach the menu
Scroll Area
Room Co-ordinates and level name
Playing Area(see above)
3. Supplementary images (for showing heavily detailed parts of your interface, and the like), although this is entirely optional, and probably not necessary.

Creating new parts of the DROD UI
If you wish to add any thing to your interface that isn't in the game already, be sure to document it well, including to its feature request, if there is one. Note that the only input that the player can have with new, additional features is a left-mouse click and perhaps a hotkey. Be sure to keep your new feature within spirit of the game (ie, no nightvision) and no features that would be considered cheating/against the official stance of Caravel, the creators of DROD.

Creating/submitting your entry
If your not sure how to create your entry, you can use many different drawing/painting applications, such as mspaint(windows), the gimp (windows, Mac, Unix) or Photoshop(windows, mac), although seeing as you could submit an entry that is just a bunch of rectangular boxes, I advise not to be too worried about what you use.

Once you have picked a paint or drawing application, whip up your entry and attach it to your submission post (use a zip file if you have more than 1 image). This is in a submission topic, meaning that only me and you will be able to see your post. You're allowed to edit your submission as many times as you like, within the submission time frame.

When you submit your design, be sure to save all image files as either .gif or .jpg or .jpeg or .png and to have it licensed as either Creative Commons or Public Domain, for legal reasons.

You may submit up to 2 different entries. Be sure to make these have major differences, however, as just switching the places of one or two of the objects will probably just create voter frustration, and we wouldn’t want to upset the unspoken heroes of every contest now would we?

Voting
I will be instructing people to vote on how much they would like to use such an interface(in a word, usability), as opposed to pretty looking designs. If you try and make a nice slayer themed UI with little or no changes to the way the UI actually functions, you’re wasting your time. However, that doesn’t mean that you can submit a pile of scribble and hope other people will figure it out.

Dates
The submissions will be open until the Local Time:02-25-2007 at 10:00 PM, which means you have negative 894 weeks, 4 days to submit your entry.

Prizes
First place shall receive 100 rank points, and 1 item from the prize pile.
Second place shall receive 50 rank points, and the knowledge that they almost came first.
Third place shall receive 25 rank points, and the satisfaction of coming third.
Anyone who has not tried a contest before gets 10 rank points, no questions asked.
All contestants will receive the thrill of participating in this contest.

Disclaimer
This contest is not affiliated with the production of DROD: The City Beneath. Winning will guarantee nothing other than what is currently offered under prizes.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 02-24-2007 01:47 PM]
02-04-2007 at 08:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Interface Change (+1)  
How much depth are we talking about here? Are we allowed to map functions and give a long list of what click, doubleclick, tripleclick, mouseover, rightclick, middleclick, mousewheel, analog stick, X, O, triangle and square do for each new area? An example would be - "Map recharging the raygun to the event of user moving the gun scope out of the playing area."

02-04-2007 at 08:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
icon Re: Interface Change (0)  
Maurog wrote:
How much depth are we talking about here? Are we allowed to map functions and give a long list of what click, doubleclick, tripleclick, mouseover, rightclick, middleclick, mousewheel, analog stick, X, O, triangle and square do for each new area? An example would be - "When user moves the gun scope out of the playing area, recharge the raygun."
Good point.

Basically, the only input that the player can have with new, additional features is a left-mouse click. Also, keep it within spirit of the game (ie, no nightvision) and no features that would be considered cheating.

EDIT: hotkey's are also allowed

[Last edited by NiroZ at 02-08-2007 01:40 AM]
02-04-2007 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
NiroZ wrote:and no features that would be considered cheating.
So no UU then?
(sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll stop trying to cause arguments and ruining the thread with irrelevant posts now ;))

[Last edited by TripleM at 02-04-2007 09:19 AM]
02-04-2007 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
YES! I've been waiting for a contest like this for ages!

02-04-2007 at 12:25 PM
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
2 contests in a row! I might compete in this one, it's hard to say, but my congrads, Zori! :)
02-04-2007 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
So you just need a picture? How are you supposed to implement nightvision with only a photo? I just need an explanation. Thanks.

02-04-2007 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
The idea is that you're supposed to re-arrange the game screen to make it both work better, add a feature or two that might be nice, and only then make it look nice.

This is a pretty good contest idea, and I will probably make a submission.

02-04-2007 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Had to go to the mod store to get a new gluepot, but it's stickied now.

02-04-2007 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I personally have only 1 problem with the current UI, and that is the inability to read a scroll and view the clock simultaneously.

02-05-2007 at 12:09 AM
igusarov
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 116
NiroZ wrote:
Re-do the DROD ui
[...]
800 pixel’s high and 600 pixel’s across area.
Inside this rectangle, there should be a rectangle scaled somewhere between 655 by 550 to 509 by 430 fitting somewhere inside the 800 by 600 area.
But I'm quite sure that the current UI is 1024x768 pixels. Why do you want a smaller UI? I mean, it would be less detailed, less sharp (if streched fullscreen on LCD). Not to say that all existing 22x22 tiles would have to be remastered. Or is it handheld toys that you want this new UI for? Or is it me missing a point?..

EDIT: "800 pixel's high" - sounds like portrait orientation to me. Is it true?

[Last edited by igusarov at 02-05-2007 03:48 AM]
02-05-2007 at 03:44 AM
NiroZ
igusarov wrote:
fitting somewhere inside the 800 by 600 area.
But I'm quite sure that the current UI is 1024x768 pixels. Why do you want a smaller UI? I mean, it would be less detailed, less sharp (if streched fullscreen on LCD). Not to say that all existing 22x22 tiles would have to be remastered. Or is it handheld toys that you want this new UI for? Or is it me missing a point?..

I decided on 800 by 600 because most people will be using 1024 by 768, thus they will be able to see the entire screen whist editing and viewing the image. You are supposed to treat the screen as if it is in full screen mode though, just remember that this is just supposed to outline what the UI would look like, not make an artistic masterpiece.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 02-08-2007 01:41 AM]
02-05-2007 at 06:44 AM
igusarov
Rank Points: 116
So, this is a concept sketch you want, right?

No need to provide detailed background image, no fine drawing of all the buttons-scrolls-clocks? Just boxes to mark where we want each UI element positioned, a description of how it should work and perhaps a rough and simple pencil art of one or two elements?
02-05-2007 at 07:38 AM
NiroZ
igusarov wrote:
So, this is a concept sketch you want, right?

No need to provide detailed background image, no fine drawing of all the buttons-scrolls-clocks? Just boxes to mark where we want each UI element positioned, a description of how it should work and perhaps a rough and simple pencil art of one or two elements?
Couldn't have put it better myself.
02-05-2007 at 07:40 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Well I have been playing with some ideas, I am so glad artwork doesn't matter :D

02-06-2007 at 10:20 PM
tonyk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
If the spirit of the contest is a more user-friendly interface (and there are tons of features experienced and new DROD players could use without fundamentally changing the game), are there any particular no-nos, or is a case of just running wild?

Though I suppose part of the fun of the contest will be in figuring out how all that would be presented to the player. :)

02-07-2007 at 03:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
tonyk wrote:
If the spirit of the contest is a more user-friendly interface (and there are tons of features experienced and new DROD players could use without fundamentally changing the game), are there any particular no-nos, or is a case of just running wild?

Though I suppose part of the fun of the contest will be in figuring out how all that would be presented to the player. :)

Well as I said here, there are a few no-no's, but I think there is still plenty of room to run wild.
02-07-2007 at 03:57 AM
NiroZ
Ok, minor update. You may now also have hotkey's in addition to the left mouse button to interact with new features.
02-08-2007 at 01:42 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Just in case you missed it (it doesn't appear to have been answered):

igusarov wrote:

02-08-2007 at 02:40 AM
NiroZ
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Just in case you missed it (it doesn't appear to have been answered):

igusarov wrote:
No, its a mix up, its 800 across.
Sorry 'bout that, just slipped right past.
02-08-2007 at 03:01 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I haven't been involved with the design of this contest, and I'm curious -- why the 800x600 size?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-08-2007 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
NiroZ wrote a few posts above:
I decided on 800 by 600 because most people will be using 1024 by 768, thus they will be able to see the entire screen whist editing and viewing the image. You are supposed to treat the screen as if it is in full screen mode though, just remember that this is just supposed to outline what the UI would look like, not make an artistic masterpiece.

02-08-2007 at 10:30 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Is it okay to use DROD JTRH images for this contest?
I'm thinking of taking a screenshot and scaling down to put in the play area, just to make mine look nice. I'll probably do some other things as well (such as faces, Etc.)
02-09-2007 at 07:45 AM
NiroZ
Someone Else wrote:
Is it okay to use DROD JTRH images for this contest?
I'm thinking of taking a screenshot and scaling down to put in the play area, just to make mine look nice. I'll probably do some other things as well (such as faces, Etc.)

To be honest, I don't really like this idea, simply because it means that your inclined to stick to the way it originally is(I'd really like to encourage people go crazy and experiment with all sorts of different wacky features and changes, as opposed to a more conservative approach) then there's permission issues that you would have to deal with, as what you want to do is modifying copyrighted files. You can, of course, grab the current interface and just chop it up and blank everything over (I mean, nobody would notice away).

I'm really sorry, but I think the difficulties outweigh the benefits.
02-09-2007 at 08:58 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
And you wouldn't be able to post them under either public domain or Creative Commons - thus violating the rules.
02-10-2007 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Casebier
Rank Points: 283
Well, you could, but it wouldn't be legal.

I must say, however... this is a contest I'll be glad to enter. (whee, 10 free points :D)

02-11-2007 at 05:41 AM
techant
Well I got my entry in. :w00t I wrote my text, about it, right in the entry thread, I hope I didn't need to write a text doc instead. Please let me know if I need to so I can fix it, thanks.
I went through the list, and checked off the to do list twice, I don't think I missed anything but if I did "pleeease!" let me know. :blush

02-13-2007 at 01:45 AM
NiroZ
techant wrote:
Well I got my entry in. :w00t I wrote my text, about it, right in the entry thread, I hope I didn't need to write a text doc instead. Please let me know if I need to so I can fix it, thanks.
I went through the list, and checked off the to do list twice, I don't think I missed anything but if I did "pleeease!" let me know. :blush
Well what I have look through so far seems fine.

There is one, minor, thing however (this doesn't just apply to you). Remember that all the voters will be reading your discription text, not just me.
02-13-2007 at 02:20 AM
techant
NiroZ wrote:
techant wrote:
Well what I have look through so far seems fine.

There is one, minor, thing however (this doesn't just apply to you). Remember that all the voters will be reading your discription text, not just me.

That is what I thought. Did I miss something in its presentation?

02-14-2007 at 03:45 AM
NiroZ
techant wrote:

That is what I thought. Did I miss something in its presentation?
No, it just seemed the 'voice' you used gave me that impression. Not that it really matters at all :)
02-14-2007 at 05:25 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Interface Change (Our Contest for February.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com