Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : flying roaches?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Error302
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon flying roaches? (+1)  
i just finished up king dougan's dungeon... at some point i should probably buy rooted hold >_> but another day!
i was thinking an interesting new monster would be something like wraithwings, only dumber, like flying roaches. just like regular roaches, but they get to ignore pits.
(and i suppose pairing them up with flying roach queens would be nice... or perhaps another monster in the room similar to a brain that would allow roaches to fly until it gets killed. or something)
just a thought~
12-17-2006 at 05:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: flying roaches? (0)  
So, what niche would the flying roaches fit in that isn't currently filled? We've got regular roaches, and we have flying monsters. When would you want to use this new creature instead of what already exists?

12-17-2006 at 06:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
I can see what you mean, Error, but I don't think there's really any need.
12-17-2006 at 12:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
Wraithwings will act exactly like roaches if you're far enough away from them, so keeping Beethro at least six squares away from the wraithwing at all times can lead to a roach-maze, but with a wraithwing and pits.

I can't really think of why this could be useful, other than horde-management with roaches flying over pits, and you not being able to get at the queens until later. But that's only really one thing it's good for.

12-17-2006 at 01:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Chaco wrote:
I can't really think of why this could be useful, other than horde-management with roaches flying over pits, and you not being able to get at the queens until later.
...as opposed to roaches coming at you over arrows and you not being able to get at the queens until later? ;)

np: Autechre - Foil (Amber)

12-17-2006 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Yeah, but the roaches could then go over the pits the other way too. Not to mention you could use wraithwings to block the roaches :)

12-17-2006 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Chaco wrote:
Yeah, but the roaches could then go over the pits the other way too. Not to mention you could use wraithwings to block the roaches :)
But they wouldn't, because they have roach AI; and wraithwings block just as well on floor.

12-18-2006 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
No, what I'm saying is you have to go up slowly to the roach queens, and then you hit an orb, opening another bunch of roach queen cells near the start of the room, and then you have to go all the way back along the same path. With force arrows, you can't do that.

12-18-2006 at 01:28 AM
Error302
3 things,
wraithwings aren't spawned by anything
wraithwings are notoriously weak spirited
no one has said anything about the thought about having a brain in the room that simply allows all the monsters to fly. perhaps a blue one that is "telekinetic"
12-18-2006 at 05:54 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2486
Error302 wrote:
no one has said anything about the thought about having a brain in the room that simply allows all the monsters to fly. perhaps a blue one that is "telekinetic"

I think you mean yellow
:)

12-18-2006 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Error302
Rabscuttle wrote:
Error302 wrote:

I think you mean yellow
:)

note to self: actually use search function ^_^U
i think i can officially call this a stupid thread....

[Last edited by Error302 at 12-18-2006 09:25 AM]
12-18-2006 at 09:25 AM
Rabscuttle
The thread is not stupid. Another flying monster is not a bad thing - it just needs to have an interesting movement pattern (and that's the hard part)

Personally I'd like another monster that can live in walls, just so there is something for seep to get in the way of.
12-18-2006 at 09:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
A la this request? Teh Basilisk! O Noes!

12-18-2006 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
icon Re: flying roaches? (+1)  
I had a wierd dream about DROD recently, where it had been modded beyond belief. There was an 8-directional wall snake in one room, which I gave-up trying to kill. Also, a guy with a net who fires bees at you. I wish I was making this up. -_-
12-18-2006 at 06:52 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: flying roaches? (+5)  
AtkinsSJ wrote:
Also, a guy with a net who fires bees at you.
Bee-throw? Is that you?

12-18-2006 at 07:40 PM
AtkinsSJ
It was part of a room that I gave-up on (as I did all the rooms). There were trapdoors leading to him, then i couldn't kill him, because:

K#S
P|P
PBP

K = Bee keeper, S = something else which I can't remember. P = pit.

So I just kept killing bees, but being unable to kill the beekeeper. meh.

I think this was after I couldn't sleep for ages. Also, I've been a bit odd recently, anyway. And now I remember, it wasn't modded; it was scripting.
12-18-2006 at 10:38 PM
Rabscuttle
Was there a mimic potion in the room?
12-18-2006 at 11:04 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
AtkinsSJ wrote:
K#S
P|P
PBP
use (code)(/code) with square brackets, of course
12-18-2006 at 11:57 PM
AtkinsSJ
Rabscuttle wrote:
Was there a mimic potion in the room?
I don't think so. I think I would have had to get there faster than I did, or something.
12-19-2006 at 02:58 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : flying roaches?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com