Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Message from the King
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1908
IP: Logged
icon Message from the King (+1)  
Hey, I just heard the King has a very urgent message for Beethro.

I'll have to get back with more information tomorrow.
11-13-2006 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Message from the King (+1)  
Today's Top Trend: Preannouncing
11-13-2006 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Message from the King (+2)  
Doom wrote:
Tomorrows's Top Trend: Preannouncing

fixed

11-13-2006 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
stigant wrote:
Doom wrote:
Totally Overdone Top Trend: Preannouncing

fixed
fixed
11-13-2006 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Message from the King (0)  
Yeah, pre-announcing an announcement of any sort is going a bit too far. -_-
11-13-2006 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Ah, usually its a good idea to ask questions first, shoot mod later.
11-14-2006 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Ezlo wrote:
Yeah, pre-announcing an announcement of any sort is going a bit too far. -_-
Speaking as someone who actually knows what it's about, I think you're misinterpreting it a little bit...

11-14-2006 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
It's either a hold announcement, or a bit of TCB info. I don't think either one warrants a pre-announcement.

Hmmm..... Now that I think of it, maybe the SmS is released tomorrow.
11-14-2006 at 03:28 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Stefan wrote:
Speaking as someone who actually knows what it's about, I think you're misinterpreting it a little bit...

But speaking as someone who doesn't actually know what it's about, I can hardly fault him for misinterpreting. Heck, whatever the interpretation is, there's not exactly a whole lot of information we can get out of it.
11-14-2006 at 07:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Tahnan wrote:
Stefan wrote:

But speaking as someone who doesn't actually know what it's about, I can hardly fault him for misinterpreting. Heck, whatever the interpretation is, there's not exactly a whole lot of information we can get out of it.
Exactly
(he is actually referring to the -2 that someone has thoughtfully removed.)
11-14-2006 at 07:46 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
You mean it's not about Elvis?

11-14-2006 at 08:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
I wonder who gave it. :huh
11-14-2006 at 02:14 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
I was going to release the King's message today, but I think I'll wait one more day so everyone who wants to will have ample time for down-modding first.

[Last edited by larrymurk at 11-14-2006 02:30 PM]
11-14-2006 at 02:29 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
larrymurk wrote:
I was going to release the King's message today, but I think I'll wait one more day so everyone who wants to will have ample time for down-modding first.
:~( :-O :?

Why do you have to torture us so?

Click here to view the secret text

11-14-2006 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
larrymurk wrote:

Is this for downmodding everyone, or just in this thread? Because the former could take a lot longer...

Is up-modding allowed, too?

11-14-2006 at 03:33 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: Message from the King (+2)  
larrymurk wrote:
I think I'll wait one more day so everyone who wants to will have ample time for down-modding first.

I wasn't actually planning on modding you down again, but since you insist, I'll be happy to oblige.

What did you actually expect when you made this thread, Larry? Sure, there's been preannouncements on the General board before, but they've actually told us something. "I'm working on a new hold" or "I'm working on a new level style, here's a sample of what I've made so far", things like that. Your post doesn't do that; it amounts to "I am going to post something tomorrow". That tells us nothing, and I don't see any reason you couldn't just have waited a day and made the actual post.

As for your second post: So you're going to wait another day with the actual post because you were modded down. Great. Do you expect the people who modded you down to care? I certainly don't, because I still have no idea what you're planning to post.

If you have something you'd like to share with the community, feel free to actually post it. Don't make a vague post suggesting that you have something interesting and then get insulted when some people don't get excited over it.

[Last edited by Watcher at 11-14-2006 04:43 PM]
11-14-2006 at 04:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I think it was a bit fun, because it was so empty of information. Kind of like mrimer not completing a spoilerish sentence (which everybody seems to love).

Also I wouldn't really think that larrymurk is insulted. I think that post is some kind of joke.
11-14-2006 at 05:21 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
It may or may not be a joke, but as Watcher points out, if he's serious, the people who he is "punishing" by not posting are mostly the people who had a positive view of his original teaser post, while the people who dislike it (and thus downmod it) probably don't care one way or another.

Myself, I found the original post mildly irritating (though I didn't downmod it), and promptly forgot about it. As Watcher also said, not knowing what it is I have to wait another day for means I don't care that I have to wait another day.

I do think that letting downmods upset you is incredibly silly so I do hope that Larry's second post was indeed a joke. Expecting everyone to like everything you do (or even, to not dislike everything you do) is either immature or conceited or both.

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-14-2006 05:41 PM]
11-14-2006 at 05:41 PM
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Modding Ez down for trying to guess what it is seems a bit unnecessary, whatever your thoughts on the OP.

11-14-2006 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Yeah, I don't get it either. Both my post were modded down. Is there something wrong with not wanting pre-announcements for pre-announcements? :huh
11-14-2006 at 07:35 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
No, there isn't anything wrong with that.

Honestly, I don't think a lot of posts worth upmods have been made in this thread so far, but certainly I don't think the rampant downmodding was justified.

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-14-2006 08:06 PM]
11-14-2006 at 08:06 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Well, I think it's just that pre-announcements have become rather controversial, really. And apparently some people really didn't like your post, Ezlo, so they modded it down. Don't feel bad; most people still like you.

After all, you've been modded up a lot more than you've been modded down.

11-14-2006 at 08:15 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
What you really don't know is that Ezlo has been modded down so much, he's coming back from infinity.

11-14-2006 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Yeah, I don't care about the mod downs, it's just that I more I care about WHY, so I can fix it.

11-14-2006 at 09:13 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
larrymurk wrote:

Modded down for freaking whining.
11-14-2006 at 10:24 PM
NiroZ
I don't know about you guys, but I think you should all wait for larrymurk to say what this is about before you start criticising.

I don't know about you guys, but if I received similar treatment to this, I would be fairly pissed. He may have chosen a bad time to preannounce, and his response to the negativity may be childish, but you could at least wait until he says what he was going to say.

This isn't some new person who we have never met before, this is Larrymurk, so maybe we should at least give him the benefit of the doubt?
11-14-2006 at 10:39 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I still think the preannouncement buck has to stop somewhere...and I stop it at preannouncements of preannouncements. While this may or may not be such, it seems like one to me. I'm annoyed with the preannouncements as it stands. Another level doesn't make them any friendlier to me.

What's next? Pre-pre-pre announcements? 4preannouncements? When will it stop?

I say one is bad enough--no more than one. Even if it is a respectable member of the forum.

Maurog has his blowup smilies, I've got my preannouncements.

11-14-2006 at 10:41 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
zex20913 wrote:
Maurog has his blowup smilies, I've got my preannouncements.
I think that if I had a crapload of mod points as Maurog seems to, I'd start matching his mods, modding him down once for every :blowup smiley he modded down. Would be interesting to see how convoluted the conflict might become. Persons choosing sides, the mod system being completely wrenched away from its original purpose... Hmm, maybe I should just bribe the hired thugs to "take care of" Maurog instead.

11-14-2006 at 10:54 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
zex20913 wrote:
I still think the preannouncement buck has to stop somewhere...and I stop it at preannouncements of preannouncements. While this may or may not be such, it seems like one to me. I'm annoyed with the preannouncements as it stands. Another level doesn't make them any friendlier to me.

What's next? Pre-pre-pre announcements? 4preannouncements? When will it stop?
I just want to say that I've started thinking about thinking about preannouncing a preannouncement that there's something I want to say on this issue.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-14-2006 at 11:08 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I just wonder if people are going to start modding the Bar down because it is pre-announcing TCB... :P

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-14-2006 at 11:22 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Message from the King
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com