Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A memo of interest
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon A memo of interest (+2)  
So, this weekend I was sorting through my papers, trying to get my desk to something resembling organization. Most of the stuff I found there is of no interest to anyone at all, but I did find some interesting stuff, some of which I may share with the forum over the next few weeks. See, most people think that official holds are developed using the same in-game editor as all the other holds. And that's partially true - we certainly use the editor to implement the holds. But to actually design them, we go straight to the experts - the Dungeon Architect's Association. And my job on the dev team consists mostly of signing work orders (because Mike and Erik are too important for that, and Schik has enough trouble trying to program the highscore spider since whenever the spider stands still it becomes practically invisible). Anyway, to make a long story short, in the middle of a pile of work orders for crumbly walls, I found this memo that clearly wasn't directed to me. So, for your enjoyment, here it is:

DAA memo - for internal use only.

Dated: Thrissuary 12th, 146 B.D.

To all DAA administrators:

As you all know, this is an important time in the history of our organization. For many generations, we have toiled, producing dungeon after dungeon of excellent quality. We have not wavered in our commitment to our task. We have worked in tandem with local authorities throughout the Eighth, the dungeon construction process served to provide valuable jobs to local craftsman and laborers, and once completed, each of our dungeons became a valuable part of the local economy, providing employment to jailors and wardens, as well as smitemasters, for many years. But we all know that our dungeons have a purpose that extends beyond regional interests. Our patrons assure me that the time for which we have planned is imminent. The name DAA shall soon be raised to eternal glory. And it is us, the current administration, who shall be the first to reap the rewards.

However, for this bright future to shine upon us, we must first be assured that we are up to the tasks laid upon us. For that purpose, I have ordered a review of our older dungeons, to ensure that they have not lapsed in standards since their completion. While overwhelmingly positive, the reports I have received have been worrisome on one particular front. Our inspectors report that in many of the dungeons, orbs have fallen into disrepair, cracking and even occasionally breaking completely. This has caused many yellow doors to become untraversable. How shall our patrons feel if, when needed most, their passages shall be blocked?

Resolute steps to correct this must now be authorized. Starting immediately, architects are permitted to use the henceforth dispreferred pressure plate technology. I am aware of the arguments against them. Pressure plates allow anyone to open doors, whether or not they possess a sword or a young family member skilled in orb-opening. Even mindless monsters can open doors using them. They cannot be activated remotely by use of an incendiary device. Furthermore, they lack the basic elegance of the spherical orbs. All these flaws make them a poor substitute for orbs. But it is not our intention that they replace our orb arrays, but rather augment them. Using both pressure plates and orbs, we can make our dungeons fully equipt to the glorious days ahead.

Sincerely yours,
Bruntchief Federoo Demmott

[Last edited by eytanz at 10-09-2006 04:51 AM]
10-09-2006 at 04:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: A memo of interest (0)  
Cool.
10-09-2006 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
eytanz wrote:
So, this weekend I was sorting through my papers, trying to get my desk to something resembling organization. Most of the stuff I found there is of no interest to anyone at all, but I did find some interesting stuff, some of which I may share with the forum over the next few weeks. See, most people think that official holds are developed using the same in-game editor as all the other holds. And that's partially true - we certainly use the editor to implement the holds. But to actually design them, we go straight to the experts - the Dungeon Architect's Association. And my job on the dev team consists mostly of signing work orders (because Mike and Erik are too important for that, and Schik has enough trouble trying to program the highscore spider since whenever the spider stands still it becomes practically invisible). Anyway, to make a long story short, in the middle of a pile of work orders for crubmly walls, I found this memo that clearly wasn't directed to me. So, for your enjoyment, here it is:

DAA memo - for internal use only.

To all DAA administrators:

As you all know, this is an important time in the history of our organization. For many generations, we have toiled, producing dungeon after dungeon of excellent quality. We have not wavered in our commitment to our task. We have worked in tandem with local authorities throughout the Eighth, the dungeon construction process served to provide valuable jobs to local craftsman and laborers, and once completed, each of our dungeons became a valuable part of the local economy, providing employment to jailors and wardens, as well as smitemasters, for many years. But we all know that our dungeons have a purpose that extends beyond regional interests. Our patrons assure me that the time for which we have planned is imminent. The name DAA shall soon be raised to eternal glory. And it is us, the current administration, who shall be the first to reap the rewards.

However, for this bright future to shine upon us, we must first be assured that we are up to the tasks laid upon us. For that purpose, I have ordered a review of our older dungeons, to ensure that they have not lapsed in standards since their completion. While overwhelmingly positive, the reports I have received have been worrisome on one particular front. Our inspectors report that in many of the dungeons, orbs have fallen into disrepair, cracking and even occasionally breaking completely. This has caused many yellow doors to become untraversable. How shall our patrons feel if, when needed most, their passages shall be blocked?

Resolute steps to correct this must now be authorized. Starting immediately, architects are permitted to use the henceforth dispreferred pressure plate technology. I am aware of the arguments against them. Pressure plates allow anyone to open doors, whether or not they possess a sword or a young family member skilled in orb-opening. Even mindless monsters can open doors using them. They cannot be activated remotely by use of an incendiary device. Furthermore, they lack the basic elegance of the spherical orbs. All these flaws make them a poor substitute for orbs. But it is not our intention that they replace our orb arrays, but rather augment them. Using both pressure plates and orbs, we can make our dungeons fully equipt to the glorious days ahead.

Sincerely yours,
Hmmm, interesting. Reminds me of something that mrimer wrote...

Offical leaks FTW!

Oh, does anyone notice the unintentional leak within this leak?
spelling

[Last edited by NiroZ at 10-09-2006 04:45 AM]
10-09-2006 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
ooh, dancing monster madness!

10-09-2006 at 05:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Also - I have five or six questions. If asked, is there any chance of answers?
10-09-2006 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
There's a chance, certainly. Not a particularly good chance, I must admit, but a better chance than if you don't ask at all.

10-09-2006 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
1. Do they keep activating if you keep standing on them (or do you have to step off and on again to get them to activate twice)?
2. Does mudstuff activate them?
3. If q1 is answered 'no' do snakes only activate them once?
4. Golem corpses? Potions?
5. Wraithwings?
6. What object level are they on?
7. If you (or a mimic/guard/slayer/decoy) step on a pressure plate and hit an orb at the same time, which happens first?

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 10-09-2006 05:43 AM : q3]
10-09-2006 at 05:42 AM
eytanz
Sorry, I very briefly gave a (partial) answer to the above and then realized I don't have permission to do that. It's really up to Erik or Mike if these questions get answered.

10-09-2006 at 05:56 AM
Rabscuttle
Well, there's still a non-zero chance of answers (probably). :cool
10-09-2006 at 06:06 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: A memo of interest (+1)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
1. Do they keep activating if you keep standing on them (or do you have to step off and on again to get them to activate twice)?
2. Does mudstuff activate them?
3. If q1 is answered 'no' do snakes only activate them once?
4. Golem corpses? Potions?
5. Wraithwings?
7. If you (or a mimic/guard/slayer/decoy) step on a pressure plate and hit an orb at the same time, which happens first?
1. Good question.
2. Excellent question. (And the "official" phrase is "tarstuff", btw ;) .)
3. Another good question.
4. Interesting question.
5. A valid question.
6. A question of interest to some.
7. Great question!

Seriously though, right now we don't want to say any more about them, but save them up for if we ever have a "Ask Questions About TCB" thread (or get permission to answer them, which might happen). In the meantime, have fun speculating amongst yourselves.

And please don't read anything into my answers, they are just jokes.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-09-2006 at 01:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
That fourth question scared me for a moment... Potions activating them would be interesting - deactivate the plate when you grab the potion. Monsters activating them is going to be really, really nifty. Golem corpses activating them could be interesting as well, but remember this room? :weep ;)

And we're starting to get TCB info! Yay!

10-09-2006 at 01:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Rabscuttle wrote:
5. Wraithwings?
I'd assume Wraithwings don't, as they fly all the time...

But that's just my guess... :lol

10-09-2006 at 01:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Yay! New cool stuff!

I can already think of some cool puzzles for holds utilizing this!

But since orbs are now breaking, does that mean we get one-use orbs?
10-09-2006 at 02:28 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Pressure plates.

Does this mean that Doom's Trompe le Monde entry will show up *again* in a Dreamplane-like area?

10-09-2006 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: A memo of interest (+2)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
If your question is whether they will (re)activate doors every turn they are depressed, like when a sword is kept on an orb for several turns in a row, then no -- they don't do that.
Pressure plates are on the bottom layer.
Uh...the first, iirc.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-09-2006 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
Can these be assigned as toggle, open, and close, or just toggle when you get on and off of it?

10-09-2006 at 06:01 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
The only thing that really interested me is the name that the letter is written by....would he happen to be the leader of the DAA we've been waiting so long to have?

10-09-2006 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Hmmm, when did Beethro visit KDD and then JtRH?
10-10-2006 at 12:25 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Here is the official timeline.

10-10-2006 at 02:01 AM
Rabscuttle
Oneiromancer wrote:
(And the "official" phrase is "tarstuff", btw ;) .)

This is just another instance of rampant anti-mud discrimination. TUT TUT.

mrimer wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:
If your question is whether they will (re)activate doors every turn they are depressed, like when a sword is kept on an orb for several turns in a row, then no -- they don't do that.

You realise that if you answer, you're only inviting more questions.

Ok, I can't think of any more. Yet.

Briareos wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:
5. Wraithwings?
I'd assume Wraithwings don't, as they fly all the time...

But that's just my guess... :lol

That's what I'd expect, but WWs are also monsters made for manipulation. So... *shrug*
10-10-2006 at 02:02 AM
NiroZ
hmm, so
144 B.D. - Beethro's tale (end game sequence). 147 B.D. - Voniffa visits Beethro at his house. The seeding complaints come up again, this time directed at Beethro. (ch.2 of BtD) Novender Thirty-Sixth (the day before New Year's Eve).

That means that this memo, dated 146, means that this pressure plate technology was around before JtRH, but JtRH had fully functioning orbs, thus no need for it.

But this must not be so for TCB...
10-10-2006 at 04:26 AM
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
I find it a little more curious that the DAA would have anything to do with TCB...
10-10-2006 at 07:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Niccus, get to level 24 of JTRH.
10-10-2006 at 08:13 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Hey, easier said than done. Only reason I know about the DAA is because I made that room.

Uh, and Erik told me and I said I'd make that room.

10-10-2006 at 08:18 AM
Ezlo
eytanz wrote:

We have worked in tandem with local authorities throughout the Eighth, the dungeon construction process served to provide valuable jobs to local craftsman and laborers, and once completed, each of our dungeons became a valuable part of the local economy, providing employment to jailors and wardens, as well as smitemasters, for many years. But we all know that our dungeons have a purpose that extends beyond regional interests. Our patrons assure me that the time for which we have planned is imminent.

Does this mean that King Dugan knows about the empire? And he is in on the scheme? Or is the word patron referring to some other group?

The name DAA shall soon be raised to eternal glory. And it is us, the current administration, who shall be the first to reap the rewards.

However, for this bright future to shine upon us, we must first be assured that we are up to the tasks laid upon us. For that purpose, I have ordered a review of our older dungeons, to ensure that they have not lapsed in standards since their completion. While overwhelmingly positive, the reports I have received have been worrisome on one particular front. Our inspectors report that in many of the dungeons, orbs have fallen into disrepair, cracking and even occasionally breaking completely.

I hope against all hope that this means one-hit orbs.

This has caused many yellow doors to become untraversable. How shall our patrons feel if, when needed most, their passages shall be blocked?

Resolute steps to correct this must now be authorized. Starting immediately, architects are permitted to use the henceforth dispreferred pressure plate technology. I am aware of the arguments against them. Pressure plates allow anyone to open doors, whether or not they possess a sword or a young family member skilled in orb-opening. Even mindless monsters can open doors using them. They cannot be activated remotely by use of an incendiary device.

Incendiary means used or adapted for setting property on fire. Flamethrowers? -_-

Furthermore, they lack the basic elegance of the spherical orbs. All these flaws make them a poor substitute for orbs. But it is not our intention that they replace our orb arrays, but rather augment them. Using both pressure plates and orbs, we can make our dungeons fully equipt to the glorious days ahead.

Sincerely yours,
Those are the odd things I noticed.
11-17-2006 at 01:42 PM
schep
Rank Points: 864
Ezlo wrote:
[Pressure plates] cannot be activated remotely by use of an incendiary device.

Incendiary means used or adapted for setting property on fire. Flamethrowers? -_-

I'm pretty sure this refers to bombs. That is, bombs do not activate pressure plates like they activate orbs.

11-17-2006 at 01:46 PM
Ezlo
Oooooh! That makes much more sense. I was confused there.
11-17-2006 at 02:03 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Unless maybe...just maybe...the bombs are ON pressure plates. :blink

11-17-2006 at 02:07 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: A memo of interest (+2)  
This is an (unintentionally?) explosive document.

Massive spoilers (JtRH and otherwise).

Click here to view the secret text

11-17-2006 at 02:20 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Ezlo wrote:
Does this mean that King Dugan knows about the empire? And he is in on the scheme? Or is the word patron referring to some other group?
I'm pretty sure it refers to the Empire patronizing the DAA. Er... you know what I mean.

11-17-2006 at 10:29 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A memo of interest
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com