Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
<<6789
Page 10 of 17
11121314>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AlefBet
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 979
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (0)  
Krishh wrote:
1.Will the insert DROD room imagwe feature of the forum include JtRh, and if yes, how will it hide levels 4+?
Yes, it will work, but I don't remember what the final decision on this was. We either decided that the rooms would be visible only to Caravel.net members (though the discussion would be visible to all), or it would be visible to everyone. Someone else will have to answer this one, though.
2. What will happen to the seep if it is on a closed yellow door and it is opened?
This is one way to kill seep. In fact, we have more than one puzzle where killing seep by opening doors is an essential element. It also works with red doors and black doors. (Green doors obviously wouldn't make sense.)

++Adam H. Peterson
01-09-2005 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
It actually works for blue doors as well.

01-09-2005 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
Placing it on blue doors causing an instant death to them when you enter the room after clearing the required rooms?
01-09-2005 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Yeah.

01-09-2005 at 09:34 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+1)  
AlefBet wrote:
Yes, it will work, but I don't remember what the final decision on this was. We either decided that the rooms would be visible only to Caravel.net members (though the discussion would be visible to all), or it would be visible to everyone. Someone else will have to answer this one, though.

I suspect only Schik truly knows what would happen. Because Schik doesn't tell anyone else and hoards his secrets like some kind of secret-hording creature or possibly monster.

I do know that we have something rigged up between DROD.net and DROD.exe that will share where you're up to, so we could, say, only let you see those rooms in JtRH that you've been in. How we'd apply this we either haven't decided on, or we have and none of us can remember except Schik.

Matt

01-10-2005 at 02:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Mattcrampy wrote:
I suspect only Schik truly knows what would happen. Because Schik doesn't tell anyone else and hoards his secrets like some kind of secret-hording creature or possibly monster.

I do know that we have something rigged up between DROD.net and DROD.exe that will share where you're up to, so we could, say, only let you see those rooms in JtRH that you've been in. How we'd apply this we either haven't decided on, or we have and none of us can remember except Schik.
Here's how it works:

When you upload a hold, there is a new option to only allow people to see (on the forum) rooms that they have visited. If you select that option, then only people who have CaravelNet will be able to see the rooms online, since if you don't have CaravelNet, we can't track your progress. All official holds will use this feature. Well, at least all official non-demo holds. Users who upload their own holds can choose whether or not to use this.

If you are not a registered CaravelNet user, you will see a placeholder image instead.

When going through the hold/level/room selection process, you will never see anything you haven't visited. The level chooser will only show levels you've been to, and the room chooser will crop out any rooms you haven't been to.

01-10-2005 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
How good is the ending of JtRH?

I don't think I had ever seen a good ending to a game before. That is, before I finished DROD (the second time, I'm not talking about dancing beethro here :D). I think that was the best ending to a game that I have ever (literally) seen. Its a shame you won't be bringing that back, but perhaps there'll be something similar for the ending of JtRH?
01-11-2005 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Can you post a screenshot of Halph crossing a pit and/or crossing a closed door? I'd really like to hear an explination of how he can do it, but Beethro can't.

Edit:Rephrased it. See below

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:01-11-2005 at 10:14 PM]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:01-11-2005 at 10:28 PM]

01-11-2005 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Can you post a screenshot of Halph standing over a pit and/or on a closed door/wall? I'd really like to hear an explination for that other than "He's a very strange kid".

Edit:Is there even such a word as 'scroonshot'?

Huh?

What in the world are you talking about? You're asking us to post a screenshot of something, and then explain it? Why? Why do you even assume Halph can stand over a pit or a wall? (any monster or character, including Beethro, can stand on a closed door if they stand on an open door when someone hits the orb).

01-11-2005 at 10:16 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Quoting from the "JtRH page"
In fact, Halph manages to get over closed doors, down pits, and ahead of Beethro.
Does this just mean that he can cross pits in one turn, or does he just magically appear on the other side?

Edit - Thank you agaricus! See below.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:01-11-2005 at 10:30 PM]

01-11-2005 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
eytanz wrote:
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Can you post a screenshot of Halph standing over a pit and/or on a closed door/wall? I'd really like to hear an explination for that other than "He's a very strange kid".

Edit:Is there even such a word as 'scroonshot'?

Huh?

What in the world are you talking about? You're asking us to post a screenshot of something, and then explain it? Why? Why do you even assume Halph can stand over a pit or a wall? (any monster or character, including Beethro, can stand on a closed door if they stand on an open door when someone hits the orb).
Gamer's referring to the Article on JtRH, in which Matt has written that Halph can get over closed doors, down pits and ahead of Beethro.

My answer to that is that Halph doesn't literally climb down pits, over doors or walk through walls. All it is, is that Halph has a seemingly strange ability to enter rooms from completely inaccessible entrances or appear in one room and disappear in the next.

01-11-2005 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
How closely does Halph follow you? Can he block your way? (for example, if you head down a one-square wide dead end passage with Halph in tow)

If Halph and the Slayer are just complicated monsters, does that mean you can have multiple Halphs/Slayers in a room?

Can we create out own images for characters? How is the Neather represented in Rooted Hold style?

[Edited by Rabscuttle at Local Time:01-16-2005 at 09:53 AM]
01-16-2005 at 09:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rabscuttle wrote:
How closely does Halph follow you?

If you get him to follow you, he'll be adjacent to you. He doesn't follow you all the time.

Can he block your way? (for example, if you head down a one-square wide dead end passage with Halph in tow)

Yes.

If Halph and the Slayer are just complicated monsters, does that mean you can have multiple Halphs/Slayers in a room?

No.

Can we create out own images for characters?

No. (You can change the tile for characters, of course, but you can't give a specific character its own graphics independant of others. Note, however, that there are several unique characters in JtRH that have their own tiles - some of them in addition to those you already heard of - and you could always overwrite their tiles if you want a special character of your own).

How is the Neather represented in Rooted Hold style?

The 'neather keeps his old graphics; maybe in the future he'll be updated but probably not for the initial release of JtRH (he's not in JtRH, after all).

01-16-2005 at 03:32 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Erik, or someone else involved with the story, in what year, month and day does Beethro's journey to Rooted Hold begin?

01-16-2005 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
eytanz wrote:

The 'neather keeps his old graphics; maybe in the future he'll be updated but probably not for the initial release of JtRH (he's not in JtRH, after all).
No, the 'Neather's graphics have been updated in JtRH. (How do you know they're the same if they've been updated?)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-17-2005 at 06:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Ask Things About JtRH (+2)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Erik, or someone else involved with the story, in what year, month and day does Beethro's journey to Rooted Hold begin?
97 B. D. - Cartographers conference in Mellenfral, from which the Master Map of the Eighth was born. Twissuary Second

142 B.D. - Story of Beethro (Beethro enters the dungeon). Three weeks later he resurfaces.

The next day - Smitemasters' meeting where "seeding" is discussed. (ch. 1 of BtD)

143 B.D. - Beethro opens the Roasted Roach Grill. It does okay, but is plenty hard work for Beethro.

144 B.D. - Beethro's tale (KDD end game sequence).

147 B.D. - Voniffa visits Beethro at his house. The seeding complaints come up again, this time directed at Beethro. (ch.2 of BtD) Novender Thirty-Sixth (the day before New Year's Eve).

148 B.D. - Beethro meets Mobley, Onsuary 1st. (ch.3 of BtD)

148 B.D. - Halph and Beethro enter Dugan's Dungeon through side passage, Onsurary 8th. (JtRH)

-Erik

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-19-2006 06:07 PM]
01-17-2005 at 08:51 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
mrimer wrote:
eytanz wrote:

No, the 'Neather's graphics have been updated in JtRH. (How do you know they're the same if they've been updated?)

Hmm, I guess they've not been updated last time I looked, and I assumed that they remained that way. Sorry.

01-17-2005 at 01:14 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I haven't read the entire thread, but in case it hasn't been mentioned already, there are some monsters with different movement rules designed just for them. It took me a couple rooms to figure them out, but they work really well.

I'm also really impressed by the quality of the game, so I think everyone else will be too since I'm not exactly easy to please when it comes to testing.

01-17-2005 at 04:09 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Does Beethro's pocketwatch count down or up?

[Edited by Rabscuttle at Local Time:01-23-2005 at 09:50 AM: deleted old edit message]
01-23-2005 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rabscuttle wrote:
Does Beethro's pocketwatch count down or up?

[Edited by Rabscuttle at Local Time:01-23-2005 at 09:50 AM: deleted old edit message]
It counts up, but only has 30 ticks on it because he bought it second-hand from a goblin.

01-23-2005 at 04:47 PM
Mattcrampy
No he didn't! (I wrote this bit, so I should know.)

Beethro got it from one of his sisters (not Vonnifa, another one) as a "see all this time you'll be spending on your business" present when he opened up the Grill. Beethro got it modified to be useful underground.

And he doesn't speak to that sister much any more, what with all of her presents being rather nastily intentioned.

Matt

01-24-2005 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
Is JTRH end animation shorter or longer than KDD's ?

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
02-08-2005 at 04:11 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
b0rsuk wrote:
Is JTRH end animation shorter or longer than KDD's ?
Yes, it is. :glasses

02-08-2005 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Blood Maggot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
How does Beethro get into Rooted Hold? Explosives?

And also, is the shareware 3 or so levels, or can we download the whole thing? I'm a bit confused, because that article gave me the impression we could buy JtRH and get extras.
02-08-2005 at 07:50 PM
DiMono
This post has been proven to be complete and total crack, and has been deleted for the good of goblin-kind.

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:02-08-2005 at 11:03 PM]

02-08-2005 at 07:54 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I don't really want to give away the story plot, Blood Maggot. You'll have to wait to play!

-Erik

02-08-2005 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
No. The first three levels of JtRH come with the free version, as well as the Foundation level theme. The editor will also work, and all functionality will be present.

The full version will include the full 25 level JtRH hold and two additional level themes. It will also include a subscription to CaravelNet, through which other official dungeons will be released.

++Adam H. Peterson
02-08-2005 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Blood Maggot wrote:
How does Beethro get into Rooted Hold? Explosives?
Read these if you haven't done it already. (And anyone else too who hasn't done it already)

Chapter One - Hallholder Bombus Defeats the Eyeball Pudding

Chapter Two - The Pink Threat

Chapter Three - Beethro Hears The Universal Song

The third chapter gives some information about your question. No answer but you'll know what's happening.
02-09-2005 at 02:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Will the Linux version be available with the Windows version as well (IE - included on the CD and available for download)? Since I'm be getting a 16 gig hard drive for my Linux installation and keeping my 8 gig, I would like to be able to play JtRH on both OS'.

02-09-2005 at 09:54 PM
Mattcrampy
I believe we'll have separate Linux and Windows CDs. You could still download one version and get the other sent to you.

Matt

02-10-2005 at 12:16 AM
<<6789
Page 10 of 17
11121314>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask Things About JtRH
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes