Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Holds Al Dente (Our Contest for October.)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 854
IP: Logged
icon Re: Holds Al Dente (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
I was actually inspired by the IF awards. It's a contest run in the text adventure community with similar rules.

I googled to find out more about the IF awards but got cinima sites could you point me in the right direction? :D

10-07-2006 at 04:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: Holds Al Dente (+1)  
IF = Interactive Fiction (text adventure games).

I think the competition Matt was referring to is IFComp, where judges are only allowed to play for two hours before rating a game.
10-07-2006 at 05:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I wonder, though, if it's past one hour, people can 'cheat' and keep playing until they can make it, and vote for it.

I'll join, if it's not too late.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-08-2006 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I wonder, though, if it's past one hour, people can 'cheat' and keep playing until they can make it, and vote for it.

Sure they can, but its their loss. But that isn't really fair on anyone.
10-08-2006 at 02:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

They can, but it's missing the point. (In fact, I expect some people to want to finish the hold even if it takes them more than an hour.) We'll cover that in the voting part.

This isn't a contest where you have to say you're playing. Make a hold and submit it, and you're in.

10-08-2006 at 07:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Ok then.
My hold should be ready soon.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-08-2006 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Guys: remember to tell me whether or not you want to be in the Lunchbox Special.

10-09-2006 at 02:33 AM
NiroZ
Mattcrampy wrote:
Guys: remember to tell me whether or not you want to be in the Lunchbox Special.
Lunchbox special?
Your talking about a compilation of the competition entries, right?
10-09-2006 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
NiroZ wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
Lunchbox special?
Your talking about a compilation of the competition entries, right?

That's correct. Make sure you tell me in your competition entry if you want that entry to included in the compilation hold.

10-09-2006 at 03:04 AM
jjohn7418
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 161
I am going to try this out, as my first official contest entry. I have one question: How do I submit my hold? If I post on the submission thread, will it only be seen by Matt?

Thanks, Jim

10-09-2006 at 05:14 AM
NiroZ
jjohn7418 wrote:
I am going to try this out, as my first official contest entry. I have one question: How do I submit my hold? If I post on the submission thread, will it only be seen by Matt?

Thanks, Jim
yeah, only Mattcrampy(and the admin's) can see what you submit.
You can use the attachment thingo to upload your hold.
10-09-2006 at 05:20 AM
Mattcrampy
NiroZ wrote:
yeah, only Mattcrampy(and the admin'syou) can see what you submit.
You can use the attachment thingo to upload your hold.

I'm pretty sure even Schik can't see it. But then, I'm working off my info and I can't do jack anymore.

10-09-2006 at 08:01 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Schik can see it, but I think that involves checking the databases manually - I remember him asking people whether they wanted to revote after giving some people 1s in another contest (I forget which one)
10-10-2006 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Is diffucculty inside the timeframe marked? Like, if you have good difficulty that is beatable, is it rewarded?

I wish that man would stay away
10-14-2006 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Well, people won't like it much if it's boring.
10-15-2006 at 01:14 AM
Mattcrampy
And if it's difficult but unrewarding, it's just going to annoy people. I'll be asking people to rate based on 'fun', and they'll have to decide what that means for them.

10-15-2006 at 09:47 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I'd like to ask a question to Matt about the contest here.

My DROD: JtRH installation is currently rather buggy and unable to build holds. However, I'd still like to compete in this contest, as I believe I have some puzzles that I can make before the deadline.

Would it be alright to submit an Architect's Edition hold to this contest?

10-17-2006 at 08:48 PM
coppro
I don't see why you couldn't.
10-17-2006 at 11:12 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Well, I know that JtRH can import AE files just fine, I just figured it'd complicate the compilation somewhat.

Also, worse aesthetics. With the checkerboard and rocks.

10-17-2006 at 11:23 PM
Mattcrampy
I don't see a problem with it. (You'll also have some limitations with doors and the types of monsters you can use...)

10-18-2006 at 02:30 AM
jjohn7418
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 161
Matt, I forgot to include the lunchbox special in my submission. Do I need to change who can edit the hold? I'm okay with you including it, would you include the whole thing or just parts?

10-18-2006 at 03:18 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
I don't know what Matt is planning to do, but my vote would be for including everything. I mean, I wouldn't want to lose something by not playing the holds individually..

Hm, that made me think of something. What about end text, if holds have story and such ? Intro text is easy, but for the ending .. a room with an entrance for each end text, maybe ?

~ Gerry

10-18-2006 at 10:46 PM
Mattcrampy
Yeah, it's not hard to get the ending text in there. I'll be including the entire hold, including description text, ending text and the hold's author.

I've got a few options for what I'm going to do, but the option I'm leaning towards is to build a wrapper level which contains the ending text when you come out of the hold. You'd have to complete all the holds to end the level.

But I do need the hold to be either anyone edit or edit on conquer. If it's not, I can't include it. I also need people's permission to include them, and if it comes down to chasing people up for permissions or just leaving them out of the hold, I'd probably be inclined to save myself the hassle and leave you out, so make sure you edit your contest entry and say it's okay.

10-19-2006 at 06:42 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
So I may be wrong, but considering how many times the submission topic folder has turned red, I'm guessing there's been at least 8 or 10 entries so far. Perhaps its just me, but I think its just a little unreasonable to expect everyone who would like to vote to spend 8 or 10 hours playing the various entries...

10-21-2006 at 05:38 AM
NiroZ
Kevin_P86 wrote:
So I may be wrong, but considering how many times the submission topic folder has turned red, I'm guessing there's been at least 8 or 10 entries so far. Perhaps its just me, but I think its just a little unreasonable to expect everyone who would like to vote to spend 8 or 10 hours playing the various entries...

a few things.

A) how do you know that every reply submitted an entry?(lunchbox special?)

B)all he has to do is leave the poll open long enough that you could play one a day. Yes, that does mean that this contest could again go into the next month, but it wouldn't be the first.

10-21-2006 at 06:04 AM
Mattcrampy
There's been a few posts, but the response so far has been great. I will be sure to give people plenty of time to play all the entries.

Remember, though, that each entry has been shooting for one hour of play. At the very most you'll be playing for an hour for all of them, but many of them can be completed in half that time. There's only a couple so far that overshoot their mark. You should be able to judge all of them over the time I'll be giving you - I'm going to try and give you at least two weekends, but we'll see.

There are, currently, 16 entries. That's a lot! I'm really pleased with the turnout.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 10-21-2006 07:18 AM]
10-21-2006 at 07:15 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Mattcrampy wrote:
There are, currently, 16 entries. That's a lot! I'm really pleased with the turnout.
That would be 17, it seems... :)

10-21-2006 at 08:32 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Will the holds have authors listed when they're posted for voting, or will they be anonymous? (I've got some sort of strange bug in my hold, but I don't want to post it and reveal that it's mine, if that won't be known in the contest.)
10-22-2006 at 05:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Tahnan wrote:
Will the holds have authors listed when they're posted for voting, or will they be anonymous? (I've got some sort of strange bug in my hold, but I don't want to post it and reveal that it's mine, if that won't be known in the contest.)

It'll be reasonably obvious whose is whose, because they'll have the author's name on the hold. I'm not going to be adding any information the author hasn't already provided.

There is less than 24 hours to go before the contest closes!

10-22-2006 at 06:03 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Mattcrampy wrote:
It'll be reasonably obvious whose is whose, because they'll have the author's name on the hold.

Ah. Well, that wasn't necessarily the case. In the end, no worries on either part--got the bug worked out, and not really too worried about nonanonyminity.
10-22-2006 at 06:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Holds Al Dente (Our Contest for October.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com