Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Jumping Snake Puzzle Discussion. (Since the other topic is a submission topic.)
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged
icon Re: Jumping Snake Puzzle Discussion. (0)  
Erik, you seem to have made an illegal jump after the 14th tile in your solution. You're jumping to the right when there's a free tile in front of you.

Or is it just me misunderstanding the rules...?
07-23-2006 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Sergenth wrote:
My guess is that a jumping snake puzzle would be harder with large open areas and a few single solid squares spread out inside, giving less predictable "should I jump or turn right" choices.
Yeah, I agree. The 2nd puzzle I gave didn't have that many forks, or it might have been extremely difficult.
With this third puzzle, you can figure out where the snake must end up on it's last turn (which is the neat, and FUN deduction element EDIT I think I'm wrong about that... EDIT2 Nope... just more than one way to get there!) Before getting there, I found areas that "had" to be entered from certain directions, so I was able to work backwards and fill in as I made mistakes. It only took me 4 tries where I actually filled in lines, but I did do a few minutes of analyzing before.
Yeah, I think deduction needs to be present, or the whole thing is just a big boring node search. The puzzles get more fun as the movement rules become more familiar too. I wonder if I can make the rules simpler or at least more simply expressed.
More elements would make this even more fun, just as more elements in DROD make it more fun and mentally taxing. However, I think eah map could only stand to have one additional type of puzzle element before it becomes to busy to work out on paper.
Yeah, if we were going for a computer game, then adding a bunch of elements would be easier. Also, you'd have interface advantages like undo and rule enforcement to make finding solutions easier. But I also like the simpler form of the puzzle that could be printed out on paper and solved with pencil while riding on a bus. Probably as it stands, the puzzle asks for a little too much commitment from a newcomer in learning the rules.

-Erik

07-23-2006 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Doom wrote:
Erik, you seem to have made an illegal jump after the 14th tile in your solution. You're jumping to the right when there's a free tile in front of you.

You have not misunderstood, he made a mistake :)

This is why I said that it's very hard to check if a solution is correct :)

[Last edited by Tim at 07-23-2006 10:33 PM]
07-23-2006 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Doom wrote:

Ugh. You're right. I better fix that.

-Erik

07-23-2006 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296

File: jumping4a_Solution.jpg (132.2 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
Tell me if I solved Tim's 4a, or if I'm just seeing things. The hardest part was the west section, and yeah, the bottleneck is telling and challenging and fun.
07-23-2006 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Sergenth wrote:
Tell me if I solved Tim's 4a, or if I'm just seeing things. The hardest part was the west section, and yeah, the bottleneck is telling and challenging and fun.
You are not allowed to jump to the left during your first jump...

Please download the 4b version, as the other ones are not solvable.

[Last edited by Tim at 07-23-2006 10:44 PM]
07-23-2006 at 10:43 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Here's another jumping snake puzzle I made that people can try if they like. I'm not sure if this one is easier or harder than the last one. I tried to make it something you could work out with more deduction as opposed to trial and error. I don't think it's very difficult. What do you think? And more importantly, is it fun?

These are fun. Quite quick to work out, but my computer skills (or lack of) make drawing in the route very slow.

"Please Sir, more Sir"

Elfstone.

07-23-2006 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296
I'm looking at Erik's 4b solution and I can't see the mistake, but either way...

Quoth the Rules:

Although you can't directly choose the snake's direction of travel, you may make the snake jump on any turn.

and to clarify what "turn" means

Each turn the snake moves and occupies one additional square,

EDIT Oh! Does the snake jump in a deterministic way as well? I've been using jumps as a free choice of direction. :huh

EDIT2

Here's where I tripped up in reading the rules:

Although you can't directly choose the snake's direction of travel, you may make the snake jump on any turn.

I took this to mean that being unable to choose a direction of travel meant being unable to choose a direction while slithering but that choosing to jump did not neccesarily follow this limitation.

A revision to the rules that would confuse me less would be:

Anytime you encounter a wall or previously placed body part, you can choose to make the snake jump over these obstacles, in a straight line, into an empty space. Although you can choose to jump rather than slither, the snake's jumping direction, like it's slithering, is still determined by a set of ordered rules:

<the list of 4 rules>

The snake cannot actually choose to jump on any turn.

These puzzles aren't too hard for paper... well, for several photocopies worth... it's just since they are very spatial, they need lots of spatial explanation. An illustration showing how a snake MUST jump in a certain direction is as needed as the illustrations showing how a snake must slither in certain directions.

[Last edited by Sergenth at 07-23-2006 11:11 PM]
07-23-2006 at 10:48 PM
ErikH2000
Tim wrote:
This is why I said that it's very hard to check if a solution is correct :)
I see your point now. I'm starting to doubt that this makes a good paper game. It seems just complicated enough that it would always leave you wondering if you screwed up somewhere. And after you've filled in a solution, it's quite difficult to review it for accuracy, since many of the lines drawn on the grid aren't present at any particular turn. So I think we need to get Tahnan to make a computerized version we can all play. ;)

If anyone cares, my corrected solution is reattached to my earlier post.

-Erik

07-23-2006 at 10:52 PM
Tim
icon Re: Jumping Snake Puzzle Discussion. (+1)  
Sergenth wrote:
EDIT Oh! Does the snake jump in a deterministic way as well? I've been using jumps as a free choice of direction. :huh
Just in case you've missed, the rules are as follows:
The landing square is chosen as follows:

1. If an empty square in front of the jumping snake is available, he lands there.
2. If an empty square to the right of the jumping snake is available, he lands there.
3. If an empty square to the left of the jumping snake is available, he lands there.
4. If an empty square behind the jumping snake is available, he lands there, coiling back over himself in a dramatic u-turn!
If I were you, I would check my pre-contest submission as well.
07-23-2006 at 11:04 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Jumping Snake Puzzle Discussion. (+5)  
Its probably got thousands of bugs, but if you have Java 1.5 installed in your browser, try going here.
07-24-2006 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
TripleM wrote:
Its probably got thousands of bugs, but if you have Java 1.5 installed in your browser, try going.
That's really great! One thing that's interesting to try: just create a big empty space, like 40x40, plop down 3 or 4 simple walls, and then play. Weirdly, it makes a pretty good game without even trying to design specific puzzles. The solution quickly becomes complex by introducing just a few disturbances that prevent a simple spiral fill.

-Erik

07-24-2006 at 02:09 AM
ErikH2000
Oh, also it was Tim that designed the 3rd puzzle shown in the applet, not Ezlo.

-Erik

07-24-2006 at 02:10 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Nifty. :)

Uh, does this make the contest basically obsolete?

07-24-2006 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Chaco wrote:
Uh, does this make the contest basically obsolete?
Not even slightly. The rules for the contest itself will be quite... uh... enhanced.

-Erik

07-24-2006 at 03:01 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I bet we have to make our own jumping snake puzzle! I'll bet 1,000,000,000 invisble greckles on it. Who wants to bet with me?
07-24-2006 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Tim wrote:
I guess my problem is that I can't always apply the rules correctly. I always need to recheck if all my jumps follow the rules a few times.
That's exactly why I asked about writing a helper applet.
07-24-2006 at 04:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I actually had the starting point in the 'official' puzzle wrong, so I've fixed that, and also added the notation so that you can copy and paste it straight into the answer thread, if you use it.

As for your bet Ezlo.. I think I'll pass ;) Although, the way Erik says 'enhanced', I think its possible it will just be a puzzle with lots and lots more features to solve..
07-24-2006 at 05:24 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Hmm, more features, right. I wonder how would the rules be for several snakes at once. Probably something like the uppermost snake goes first, leftmost for those tied, and they all jump (or not) at once. Or maybe even separately, not sure what has more puzzle potential. And you lose if one of them gets stuck...

07-24-2006 at 06:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco

File: ChacoPuz1.png (2.3 KB)
Downloaded 312 times.
Here's a simple one for practice. Much easier than Tim's :)

Light purple is floor - I used that to position the inner obstacles. Red squares are jumpable and black squares are not.

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-24-2006 05:15 PM]
07-24-2006 at 05:15 PM
ErikH2000
That one is pretty easy. I can just do it with my eyes. I believe there are 2 solutions and 4 non-solutions, assuming that you must jump if no other movement is available.

-Erik

07-24-2006 at 05:21 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
May i try making one?

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-24-2006 at 05:54 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Can't see why any one would say no. Go right ahead! :)
07-24-2006 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Here's a third solution to my puzzle, which is the least obvious variant.

07-24-2006 at 06:17 PM
ErikH2000
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
May i try making one?
Jeff, that would be cool. Also, you might try using TripleM's applet to design and test it.

-Erik

07-24-2006 at 07:28 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Very interesting puzzle design. The quick 'a-ha' moment for me was just realizing that the your actual decision points are relatively few, even for a large map. Which doesn't make the puzzle easy, but it helps to find focus.

07-24-2006 at 08:27 PM
Jeff_Ray...

File: Puzzles.hold (3.9 KB)
Downloaded 23 times.
I'm done with it. Most of the puzzles may seem weird, but i din't knew it was meant to be done with only the control of the jump... :/

Anyways, i've made some rather unrelated puzzles.

You must cover all of the squares, but since i din't knew, you can control the snake's moves. Though, to make things equally harder, you can't jump backwards. New elements were added, and it is used as a .hold file. Happy game!

Read all scrolls. ;)

Tell me if you don't understand me.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-24-2006 at 08:44 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
I found the movement rules a bit complicated at first, but now that I've learned them, searching for solutions is actually quite fun. I've also started thinking about how many solutions the entry puzzle has. So far, I've found five seven, although two of those are nearly identical.

Edit: I found another two, which were also nearly identical.

[Last edited by Watcher at 07-24-2006 11:42 PM]
07-24-2006 at 11:15 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Was it about Erik's or mine?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-25-2006 at 02:27 AM
Chaco

File: ChacoPuz2.png (3.8 KB)
Downloaded 185 times.
I just love these puzzles. They're fun to make and to figure out.

Here's another puzzle by me. It's harder than the first one. I skipped making the puzzle myself and just took a screenshot from TripleM's applet. Thanks, TripleM! :)

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-25-2006 12:43 PM]
07-25-2006 at 12:42 PM
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Jumping Snake Puzzle Discussion. (Since the other topic is a submission topic.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com