Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro's Teacher (Spring 2006 Smitemasters Selection)
<<2345
Page 6 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.2/10 (59 votes)
σ 2.09
Author Name:Henri Kareinen
Submitted By:Doom
Hold Name:Beethro's Teacher
Theme:Spring 2006 Smitemasters Selection
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:106
Number of Monsters:1375
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:22 (+25 / -3)
Poster Message
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
IP: Logged
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher (0)  
Yeah every secret room appears on the H&S minimap EXCEPT FOR THAT ONE. So should I attempt to beat it anyways?
06-25-2008 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher (0)  
cheese obsessive wrote:
Yeah every secret room appears on the H&S minimap EXCEPT FOR THAT ONE. So should I attempt to beat it anyways?
Yeah, do so. That room isn't too tough if I remember correctly.

06-25-2008 at 04:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher (+5)  

:glasses 

01-24-2009 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Connoraustin
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher (+1)  
I tried this. Brilliant. If not a bit too hard for me.

Still liked it though.

01-25-2009 at 10:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
A quick note: In the most recently available version of the hold, marked August 29th, 2006, in Second Level : 1 South, 1 East (the exit room), the eastmost tile of the staircase (marked 1) ends the hold instead of going to the third level.

I believe this may be a case of having two staircases in this room adjacent to one another rather than one staircase.

-

I'm not done playing this hold yet, but I just recently made it to the third level, and didn't have to go looking for hints too much, so it's personally gratifying to think that I'm almost as evil an architect or player as Doom. But I agree that this hold is way, way difficult and deserves its reputation as one of, if not outright the most, difficult Smitemasters' Selections ever produced.

07-26-2011 at 01:20 AM
Godot23
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher (+2)  
OK, I am kind of WAY behind this whole posting thing :blush. However, I just got this hold about 2 weeks ago, and I must say that I have never seen a hold that makes me want to both pull my hair out and offer complements to the architect for making what I consider to be one of the BEST made holds I have ever seen in my life. I am only about half way through the first level, but even besides the fact that I have only seen about 1/6 of the hold, I am in awe of the careful planning that must have gone into some of these rooms. In most holds that I know of, once you have your AHA moment the room becomes relatively easy. However with this hold, each and every room is still more challenging than most even after you figure the trick out. While it is that I am still kind of new to SMSs, I own every one except for Flood Warning and I must say that both the puzzles and the overall creation of this hold are my favorite ones I have seen thus far. :thumbsup x3 for this hold. I am sorry that i didn't start playing DROD earlier just so I could get to the level of expertise required for this hold earlier. If I had, maybe I wouldn't be 2 years off from the previous post...

My house is on fire
04-16-2013 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher (+2)  
I managed to beat this in a couple of days - I'm not entirely sure how since when I tried it before it dismissed me with an arrogant shrug. Anyway, my initial impression of this hold was that it was insanely difficult, but once I started clearing some rooms it started to fall into place somewhat, and I even managed a first place with a solution which was slightly different to the previous number one. I'll admit I had to check H&S for a few of the rooms, and there was one room (Fifth Level: 1E) which I just did not get at all and had to look at a demo for. Other than that, it wasn't too bad once you'd worked out what needed to be done. Unlike some of the comments here, I didn't think the secret room on the fifth level was that bad - just a bit of a chore to clear.

I thought the story was good - some of the interplay between Beethro & Denfry was especially funny.

I can understand the points raised in this thread about the difficulty of this hold as a chargeable SmS but then there is a need to cater for the more hardcore player, especially as they're likely to have played (and by extension supported) Caravel for longer. Anyway, I don't imagine we'll ever get another official hold as hard as this in the future.

My Rating:

Difficulty: 9
Fun: 8

Progress - Gavin G
02-14-2014 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
Conquered!

Well, really only in the most technical sense, that stairs bug with the level 2 exit is still there. Consider this a hybrid of a victory post for the first third of the hold and a bug report.

Impressions so far (up to level 3, beginning of level 4)

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 05-31-2014 10:34 PM]
05-23-2014 at 01:07 AM
<<2345
Page 6 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro's Teacher (Spring 2006 Smitemasters Selection)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com