Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Fifteenth Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners! (Hurray!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
IP: Logged
icon The Fifteenth Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners! (+8)  

Voting is over.

Time to clap & cheer for the winners of the 15th Deadlies!

It's has been too long already (almost halfway into 2019...), so let's get on with it.

1) Best Custom Game Element
Water barrels from S A N D by Xindaris
The water barrels are quite simple, really. But boy, what puzzle opportunities do they open up!
By stabbing a barrel, a small puddle of water is created. The barrels themselves can be pushed around and that's all that's needed for two levels full of entertaining puzzles. Who'd ever figure that water skippers on land would be so much fun?
Early 2019, the 'cousin element' Oil barrel was introduced. We can only hope that Xindaris will sometime build a synthesis hold around those two concepts.

2) Design Excellence in a Modification or Addition
Skell, for creating DROD online
DROD online is, well, not online anymore actually. But for the time being, it was actually possible to share the experience and play two-player DROD in your browser.
This has definitely been a magnificent programmer's feat. Thanks for creating this, Skell!

3) Technical Design Excellence in Scripting
Puck fellow, by Disoriented
Just when you thought you had seen all versions of 'Look, I did an implementation in drod of this game which is not drod', Disoriented comes along and builds a completely functional Pacman level. Including ghosts.
Tucked away far into the post-mastery content of Blind Race #5, this really deserves some more attention. So go play Blind Race #5 and enjoy the various goodies in the PM area.

4) Technical Design Excellence in Layout and Aesthetics
12) Novice Architect Award

Tinytall Tower by Trickster
A very successful debut by Trickster indeed, winning two prices at once. Granted: winning the novice architect award as only contestant is not convincing. But winning the Layout and Aesthetics throphy proves that this is not just a price for lack of other options.
Each level consists of only one room (excluding the many, many secrets). This room is the same for each 'floor' of the tower and actually pretty small in size. But within this tiny space, many interesting puzzles of increasing difficulty have been packed together. And just parsing the rooms to get a feeling for the possibilities and interactions is a joy by itself. A refreshing new way to experience DROD!

5) Technical Design Excellence in Concept
Blockerture Science Laboratories by Xindaris
The cake is a lie. But fortunately, there's no cake in this hold. Building upon the concept of pushable blocks, Xindaris has managed to liberate a whole new class of puzzles. The hold starts off with an introduction level and three levels that allow you to practice with different types of blocks. In the last level, all types of blocks and interactions are integrated and after that, there's a whole post-mastery level as well.
The references to Portal will leave everyone familiar with that game smiling throughout the hold. The cynical computer guiding you through the levels is especially funny.

6) Creative Design Excellence in Storyline
9) DROD Hold of the Year

...she'll carry a really big sword by Insoluble
With this magnificent hold, Insoluble has managed to make a very convincing experience in multiple ways. The story is wonderful, taking the side story of the 149th Critic from TSS and building a whole new narrative around her. Artwork is wonderful as well, with painted (!) custom graphics.
Level layout is beautiful and allows the player to roam around each level freely. In fact, all of the blue doors have holes in them that allow the player to slip past and experience the levels in every desired order. This is a very player-friendly setup, because some of the puzzles are quite difficult. In this hold, it's always possible to continue playing, even if you've failed to complete a couple of rooms.
Guaranteed to keep you vexed until the end!

7) Creative Design Excellence in Difficulty
Decadent in Chrysalis by BoyBlue
It was a pretty tight vote this year, but in the end, this hold won out over the others. Not too much of a story line, and - in the words of the author - "not well polished". But that remark must be a mistake. Because it is a wonderful hold. Full of puzzles, that are all quite approachable, although many of them are very difficult.
Aesthetics are not meant to blow you away perhaps, but don't be fooled, level layout choices definitely work out well here to guide the player through the levels. After 6 years and 3 days, we finally had a new hold by BoyBlue. And now we want more.

8) Creative Design Excellence in Entertainment
Don’t Play This Dumb Hold by Disoriented
The title says it all. Don't play it. It's dump. Really. Stop reading this text and skip to the next category.
Unless... You like to play a fairly big bunch of super nice puzzles, that are tied together by not much more than a bit of silly dialogue and a positively surrealistic ending.
And well, perhaps a fairly big bunch of super nice puzzles is really all we need for this perfect DROD experience.
And did I mention that most of the puzzles are of the very original kind?

10) DROD RPG Level Set of the Year
2018 Year of RPG Compilation coordinated by Kieranmillar
Many architects will share in the glory of this year's Best RPG Award. Being a compilation where the theme was 'Basically anything for DROD:RPG', you can expect for quite some diversity. Overall, a pretty accessible hold @ 4 brains, but with a 9 for fun, it clearly stands out as a must-play!
Congratulations to Kieranmillar and his co-creators Hyperme, Lucky Luc, Mauvebutterfly, Nuntar, Skell and Xindaris.

11) Best Voice Artist in a Distinct Role
Xindaris and Disoriented for the team effort in Blockerture Science Laboratories
Well, this is kind of embarrassing for me, since I completely overlooked the fact that a tiebreak was needed for this category.
Luckily, it actual seems quite right to let both voice actors share the praise. Blockerture Science Laboratories was the only hold this year with voice acting and Xindaris and Disoriented show how much it adds to the DROD experience! A cynical Beethro and a cynical Computer within a single room and talking to each other. What more would you need for funny dialogues?
We definitely need more holds with voice acting.

13) Erik Hermansen Award for Lifetime Architectural Achievement
Disoriented
Witty, original and sometimes pretty difficult, Disoriented designs holds that optimally use the incredible variety of DROD elements in novel and interesting ways.
It's hard to think of a single 'Disoriented style' that stands out. Rather, Disoriented manages to surprise us anew each time. Beethro's Dream contains several (!) scripted elements that could each make for a complete stand-alone hold by themselves. In this year's Entertainment Award-winning hold he explores the limits of silliness and just for good measure, 4 'quick lunch break' holds have been thrown in after that.
Keep up the good work, and keep us busy and amazed!

14) Best Community Contributor
Chaco
Chaco's witty and to-the-point forum contributions can be noticed by all visitors to the forum. What's perhaps less well-known, is that Chaco does a tremendous amount of work behind the screens as Hold Administrator.
Do you enjoy all those nice holds that are available for download? Every wondered who puts them there? Chaco is at least a big part of the answer in many cases. Checking solutions and potential playability issues for each and every one of the holds that are being submitted, the Hold Administrators are very important to safeguard a smooth and enjoyable playing experience.
And Chaco may just be the most prolific of all HAs.

15) Best DROD Video Presentation
Chaco
The award for best video presentation also goes to Chaco this year.
If you are interested to experience how a really good player goes about solving puzzles: go watch Chaco's stream. Within seconds of entering a room, Chaco often manages to point out the most important elements, interactions and caveats for the puzzle. While many players will just dive in and first try to play around a bit in a room, Chaco basically stares at a puzzle and analyses it until the solutions is inevitably found. Deduction at its best! And watching Chaco's recording is definitely a great way to become a better player yourself!

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 05-11-2019 08:39 PM]
05-11-2019 at 11:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: The Fifteenth Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners! (+2)  
Congratulations to the winners!

So much interesting and fun content here. It's really amazing to see all the amazing creations. A big thanks to everyone who is involved in creating and producing content for DROD and the Caravel Forum!

And special thanks to Dying Flutchman for volunteering to run the event for 2018. I enjoyed reading your commentary about all the entries and completely agree with what you said. Please select a prize from the Prize Pile for your community contribution.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-11-2019 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
Small correction: You have Puck-Fellow listed as being in "Take Five". It's in Blind Race #5.
05-11-2019 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: The Fifteenth Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners! (0)  
Thanks Mrimer for your kind words and thanks DF for your correction. Fist post now updated.
DF

05-11-2019 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
icon Re: The Fifteenth Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners! (+1)  
Thanks again to Dying Flutchman for organizing this year's awards!

1) Best Custom Game Element
Water barrels from S A N D by Xindaris

Yes, I liked this one too: simple and elegant, and the barrels partner well with other elements.

2) Design Excellence in a Modification or Addition
Skell, for creating DROD online

Well-deserved, skell! I hope the community will benefit from your talents and humor for many more years.

3) Technical Design Excellence in Scripting
Puck fellow, by Disoriented

:) :) :) Thank you for this award. I wanted the player to receive a little bonus after finishing Blind Race 5, which could be a tense and exhilarating time in itself! I hope you had fun with it.

4) Technical Design Excellence in Layout and Aesthetics
12) Novice Architect Award

Tinytall Tower by Trickster

Well-deserved! Trickster may be a "novice" architect, but she's been visiting the forums for several years and definitely adds her own unique, humorous angle to this community. The hold shows off amazing attention to detail. It seems like it must have been a major project planning out all the rooms and levels and how they connected together.

5) Technical Design Excellence in Concept
Blockerture Science Laboratories by Xindaris

I guess I'm a sucker for Portal stuff. Good job Xindaris!

6) Creative Design Excellence in Storyline
9) DROD Hold of the Year

...she'll carry a really big sword by Insoluble

Yes, Insoluble really made another excellent hold with this one! There are some very memorable interactions here that I've never seen done before.

7) Creative Design Excellence in Difficulty
Decadent in Chrysalis by BoyBlue

You bet we want more! Congrats BoyBlue!

8) Creative Design Excellence in Entertainment
Don’t Play This Dumb Hold by Disoriented

Don't tell me you went ahead and played that. I mean, really? Well, I hope you enjoyed it. :D

10) DROD RPG Level Set of the Year
2018 Year of RPG Compilation coordinated by Kieranmillar

Congratulations!

11) Best Voice Artist in a Distinct Role
Xindaris and Disoriented for the team effort in Blockerture Science Laboratories

Thank you for awarding this! Special thanks to Xindaris for planning out the script ahead of time. I agree that we could use more holds with voice acting.

Disoriented

WOW!!! This is truly a major honor. Thank you to everyone for taking the time to play through my early attempts at room creation, giving tester feedback, voting for my holds, and answering random questions. The other nominees in this category are so exceptional, I have trouble believing that I'm even in the same league.

Question: Is there still a prize available to the annual winner of this award?

14) Best Community Contributor
15) Best DROD Video Presentation
Chaco

This is also a great choice. Chaco just gives a room a cursory look and immediately knows what to do! It's humbling, but enjoyable to watch. Looking forward to him suffering through Blind Race #6.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
05-11-2019 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: The Fifteenth Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners! (0)  
Thanks for the well wishes, everyone! HA review is definitely some tough volunteer work, requiring you to specifically wear the HA hat and take a look at the hold from a special perspective rather than just a casual Architecture perspective.

I'm definitely looking forward to doing more DROD video series this year, and also to whatever messes I find myself in, at the hands of you crazy architects. :)

05-11-2019 at 11:02 PM
Trickster
Rank Points: 662

I appreciate the recognition! Though I spent years on just one hold, so it's perhaps not as impressive as it might otherwise seem. It was a lot of fun, though, and most of the effort was due to the fact that I completely changed the hold structure a couple of times. The aesthetics actually took quite a bit of work to get right. I'm glad it was enjoyable for some.

Also, none of it would be possible without an amazing and supportive group of roachies like y'all. <3

I'm still dealing with life-stuff, but I'll be back in gear eventually. Thanks again.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

05-12-2019 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
disoriented wrote:
Disoriented
Question: Is there still a prize available to the annual winner of this award?
The traditional prize for the Erik Hermansen Award is lifetime CaravelNet membership. It's not in my power to decide, but I believe this should still apply. I would ask Schik.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 05-12-2019 03:10 AM]
05-12-2019 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Yes, lifetime CaravelNet membership for a Lifetime Achievement award. Congratulations!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-12-2019 at 09:22 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Thanks so much for hosting the Deadlies Dying Flutchman! 2018 was a great year for architecture and there were so many fun holds it was really hard to decide. Congratulations to all the winners!

05-13-2019 at 02:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Fifteenth Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners! (Hurray!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com