Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Ghostsmiters ("3D"-puzzles using scripted elements.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.0/10 (5 votes)
σ 0.63
Author Name:Bent
Submitted By:Bent
Hold Name:Ghostsmiters
Theme:"3D"-puzzles using scripted elements.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:25
Number of Monsters:472
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Ghostsmiters v7.hold (68 KB)
Downloaded 378 times.
License: Other
icon Ghostsmiters  
Ghostsmiters' theme is puzzles in 3D (kind of) using scripted elements. What Beethro does in one room will affect what happens in the next, and so the challenge lays not just in solving each individual room, but the level as a whole.

Because of this, backtracking issues are unavoidable: Be prepared to restore a lot. But I have tried to make this as painless as possible by adding a lot of checkpoints around room exits and by making all required rooms in a level visible from the start.
09-08-2016 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Ghostsmiters (+1)  
This hold requires some real out-of-the-box thinking. Ghosts will follow you from room to room, meaning you'll need to find good places to store them in one room so you can use them effectively in another.

Not only do you need to worry about positioning, but the ghosts themselves are aggressive, basically Gentryii without any chains. This, combined with regular monsters that are surprisingly troublesome, means you'll need pretty good manipulation chops in order to make it through here alive!

The hold starts out fairly difficult, but is still tractable, at least for the first couple of levels. Solving the last level and managing to complete everything this hold has to offer is an incredible challenge even for the veteran DROD player, since there's some top-notch puzzle-ry and a fiendish final challenge in store.

09-08-2016 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Ghostsmiters (+1)  
I'm only 80% done with this one, but it hasn't had much commentary yet and I suspect a lot of folks may be avoiding it due to the (current) 8 brain difficulty rating. This is definitely a tough hold, and can even be frustrating at times, but it's also probably worth checking out even if you don't typically go for holds that are super difficult.

The care that went into crafting this hold is evident from the first room. The room design is terrific and the aesthetics project a very consistent haunted mood throughout the hold. The dialog makes for a nice counterpoint to this though and had me laughing frequently. The artwork for the custom ghost elements fits the mood perfectly. All in all this hold is beautifully designed.

The concept is also pretty terrific here. The main idea behind the puzzles is that Beethro maintains his orientation and the ghost elements maintain their position as you go from "floor" to "floor" in the different levels. That means that many puzzles will require you to plan things out across several floors so that you can get the monsters and Beethro into proper position. There's an initial cut scene that shows you what each room looks like so that you can plan out multi room sequences using the minimap (it also makes for a spooky level intro.) This kind of puzzle is super interesting and quite different from a typical DROD experience. And once you get the hang of clicking through rooms on the minimap to plan out your attack it's actually quite fun.

The only real drawback to this hold (and probably the reason for that current 8 brain rating) is that the scripted elements and some of the puzzles involving them are somewhat fiddly. The ghost elements are un-killable and pretty aggressive, which means you'll have to dance and fiddle around with them quite a bit. And probably die. A lot. It gets frustrating.

This gets better as you progress through the hold though and the second and third levels don't depend on manipulating the ghosts nearly as much as the first one does. The third level was probably my favorite as you could get the ghosts in a completely separate part of the room for the most part and not have to worry so much about dancing them around. These last two levels are where the hold really starts to shine. Planning out how to get things in just the right spot becomes a lot less frustrating and I ended up quite enjoying myself.

So if you've been avoiding this one because of that 8 brain rating, give it a go if only to experience the story and atmosphere. If you're currently stuck without having solved a single room, you may want to push through that first level (H&S board has some good hints for it) so that you can see the more enjoyable later levels.

11-28-2016 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Ghostsmiters ("3D"-puzzles using scripted elements.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com