Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Drod History Month (January 2013 Contest Compilation)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.6/10 (7 votes)
σ 1.29
Author Name:Pearls
Submitted By:Pearls
Hold Name:Drod History Month
Theme:January 2013 Contest Compilation
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:22
Number of Rooms:86
Number of Monsters:1694
Version:DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (4.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:6 (+6 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Drod History Month.hold (225.5 KB)
Downloaded 657 times.
License: Other
icon Drod History Month  
The compilation of the entries to the DROD History Month contest.
09-27-2013 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pearls
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 767
icon Re: Drod History Month (+3)  
For those of you who did this before and don't feel like playing all the rooms again, you might be very briefly delighted to know that DRODite Komachi submitted a late entry into the contest which I've added if you head due south from the entrance.

Click here to view the secret text

09-30-2013 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Drod History Month (0)  
I'm happy that we have this up now. Thanks for all the effort, Pearls!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-30-2013 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sandalo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
icon Re: Drod History Month (+3)  
As a suggestion for this kind of compilation: I think you should always leave the possibility to exit one level without conquering it.
Let's say I enter a level, solve 100 rooms and get stuck on the last one.
If I want to have a look at a different level I need to restore, losing my progress, and being forced to solve the rooms again later.
(I'm locked at Museum Of Modern Architecture now...)

Just my 2 cents, and anyway, thanks Pearls for working on the compilation.
10-05-2013 at 11:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Should Museum of Unnatural History, 2N1E be marked unscoreable?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
10-06-2013 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Sandalo wrote:
As a suggestion for this kind of compilation: I think you should always leave the possibility to exit one level without conquering it.
Let's say I enter a level, solve 100 rooms and get stuck on the last one.
If I want to have a look at a different level I need to restore, losing my progress, and being forced to solve the rooms again later.
(I'm locked at Museum Of Modern Architecture now...)

Just my 2 cents, and anyway, thanks Pearls for working on the compilation.

I will for sure keep this in mind if I ever work up the gumption to do something like this again. Which is probably never ever.

Should Museum of Unnatural History, 2N1E be marked unscoreable?

This was intentional, but I suppose it didn't have to be.

[Last edited by Pearls at 10-07-2013 03:17 PM]
10-07-2013 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Slightly disappointed that my level's first room doesn't use the AE tileset, but at least the green and red doors are working.

But that's my fault to some extent for not commenting about this earlier.

[Last edited by Jacob at 10-07-2013 10:33 PM]
10-07-2013 at 10:32 PM
Pearls
It was supposed to? I really had no idea, and since I had to download it, CaravelNet wouldn't've done the auto-download tile thingy. If that's what it was supposed to do.

Maaaan I wish I had known about that.

10-08-2013 at 03:11 PM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
A nice compilation of levels based on 1 room per official hold. I'll just give a quick comment on each of the entries:

Sixth Level: One of the hardest entries in the hold, a nice symmetry across the rooms although the look doesn't really change throughout.

Museum Of Modern Architecture: Looks good, could imagine rooms being part of the official holds. I thought the TCB room was excellent.

The Time Capsule: Another difficult hold especially the TCB room, aesthetics were good for each room.

familiar places: Doesn't really follow the rules, the TCB room has unexplained scripting and the GatEB is pretty hard

What Could have Been: This was okay, didn't really like the JtRH room as it seemed a bit trial-and-error, the TCB room was horrible, possibly the worst in the hold...

The Four Ages of Budkin: I really liked this entry, each room represented the associated hold well and the puzzles weren't too tricky.

Memories...: This was okay, can't really think of much more to say about it (it was about 8-9 months ago since I played this hold...)

Tribute to major release: Decent puzzles, didn't really feel they represented the official holds though.

!praW emiT: This was possibly a tongue-in-cheek entry and I appreciated the GatEB room but the AE and TCB rooms just took too much time.

Christmas Carol (not sure what the entry is called officially): This looked good but some of the puzzles were pretty brutal.

Through The History: Felt the puzzles were too difficult to accurately represent the official holds.

DHM (lots of random characters...): Nice small rooms, not a bad entry.

The Living Tar: I enjoyed the GatEB room, the first two were a bit of a slog though.

The History of DROD: I loved this entry, constantly entertaining, self-deprecating humour but not in a negative way. Scripting for this must have taken a lot of time. I would recommend this as a minimum for someone playing this hold.

Back in Time: Nice puzzles, uses the same style for all rooms though.

4 Rooms: First and last rooms are pretty hard although not overly frustating, a good entry overall.

Forgetfullness: Rooms all seemed similar, scripting at the end of the JtRH room is not appreciated.

Overall some good entries, some okay entries. None of them would say were particularly bad.

Difficulty: 7.5
Fun: 7

Progress - Gavin G
06-16-2016 at 11:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Drod History Month (January 2013 Contest Compilation) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com