Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Choir wanted for a song. (A DROD song, of course.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Choir wanted for a song. (+2)  
I've written a song for an upcoming SmS. No details about that to be given--the song, for all I know, may not even make it into the SmS. It is a silly song. I would sing one part of it and then a choir would sing another part like a response. The idea is to take a number of recordings from different people singing and combine it into something that sounds like a choir. Don't know if it will work, to be honest.

I'm looking for people who are willing to record themselves singing and then post the recording here. The posted recording has to be public domain licensed.

If you post a real attempt at singing that follows the instructions, then I'll e-mail you the finished song later, whether I use your part or not. (I might not use your part if it doesn't seem to work in the recording, i.e. you are off-key, off-tempo, bad recording environment, or your voice sounds so good it puts everyone else to shame ;) ).

Keep in mind that your recording would likely be used in a Caravel product that makes money. And there's no promise of a free copy of that product. I can only offer you the finished song itself.

So before I put out the instructions for recording, let me gauge the interest level. Anyone willing to try it?

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 03-28-2009 10:11 PM]
03-28-2009 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1236
icon Re: Choir wanted for a song. (+1)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
... or your voice sounds so good it puts everyone else to shame ;) .
I think I'm in that category, so I'm not going to try. ;)
I'd love to hear the finished song later though.
03-28-2009 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
I'll sing. I'm not sure how good I'll be, but it sounds like it will be fun!
03-28-2009 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
I'm willing to contribute my voice to this choir. I have a fairly low voice, as people who have played the latter two holds of calamarain's Witherwood trilogy can attest, but I think I can sing a song. :)

I'm interested!

03-28-2009 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
I have a really freaking low voice when I want to have one. I'll be interested in trying out. I will also try to improve my quality to the best of my ability. I have a few ideas about how to accomplish that...

Count me in!

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
03-29-2009 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
I'll join the choir!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-29-2009 at 03:15 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Choir wanted for a song. (0)  
Awesome awesome awesome. Now that I know that getting some singing help isn't a complete non-starter, I will make an example recording and post that with instructions. Probably tomorrow. Unless I get distracted or waylaid.

-Erik

03-29-2009 at 03:49 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
People say my voice isn't bad, but I'm very self-critical in real life and I'm always putting myself down for everything, so I think they might just be trying to be nice.

Disirregardless(lol), I'm interested.

EIDT: @Mr.H: Yay!

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-29-2009 04:00 AM]
03-29-2009 at 03:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Sign me up.

I'm a choir-experienced tenor, and on a good day I probably sound nearly as amazing as slimm tom. But I'm flexible -- give me directions, and I'll try to deliver what you want.
03-29-2009 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Oh man, its like DROD Karaoke all over again! :D I'll see if I can get my microphone working again.

But sign me up anyway.

03-29-2009 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
I think a quote from a man with a funny name will suffice here:

"It's such a nice sound. The notes are all wrong of course, but it sounds nice".

03-29-2009 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000

File: inAVatParts.rar (2.9 MB)
Downloaded 87 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Choir wanted for a song. (+2)  
Preparations

You need the following things:
* Computer with a sound card.
* Microphone.
* Headphones or earphones. (Speakers won't work.)
* An application that handles recording. Audacity is recommended, but most anything works.
* A quiet place to record.
* A glass of water (optional)

Instructions

1. Play the first sample (ItsAFact2.wav) and try to sing along with it as it plays. Don't worry about recording yet! Repeat as many times as needed so that you feel comfortable matching the notes and it sounds like you and I are singing together in unison. The lyrics that go with this sample are:

ItsAFact2.wav
Its a fact, its a fact,
He was cooked up in a vat,
His birth was planned exact.

2. Plug the mic and headphones in and see if they work.

3. Bring up an app to record with. Configure recording settings to mono, 32bit, 44100 hz.

4. Record yourself singing the sample, BUT... to stay well-synchronized, you'll need to hear the original sample playing through your headphones while you are recording. If you try to do it from memory, it's very likely you'll be off. So figure out what series of button presses, alt-tabbing, etc. you have to do to start the sample playing, start the recording, and then sing along while the sample is playing. You might be tempted to use computer speakers instead of headphones, but that results in the playback of my voice getting into your recording--also not good.

Recording tips:
a. stand up while you sing
b. keep the mic about a foot to 6 inches away, but not right on your lips or you get lots of breathing noise
c. At the beginning of each sample, I say "3... 2... 1...". Sing on the zero count and you'll be synced up.
d. Don't try anything fancy like harmonizing or Celine Dion flourishes. It might even sound good in your recording, but to combine it with other recordings for the "choir" sound we need as much consistency as possible.
e. The last sample "thingsWeKnew2.wav" is hard for me to record in one pass since there is a lot of fast singing without time to breath. If it's hard for you too, consider singing it in two passes--first half and second half.

5. Feel free to include a few extra recordings. It might be that I can use the extra versions to simulate more voices in the choir.

6. Repeat the process with these other samples:

seeTheTruth2.wav
See the truth, see the truth
He emerged now with a poof
That he stands here is the proof

yesItsTrue2.wav
Yes, its true. Yes, its true.
he grew up inside a stew.
It's the first thing we all do.

weConfirm2.wav
We confirm that he learned,
every scrap of knowledge earned,
While inside a bowl he turned.

thingsWeKnew2.wav
Things we knew, as we grew,
Bloomed inside our heads.
Learning time, in the slime,
From the vats, our beds.
Starting fresh, in new flesh,
Starting with a jolt.
Standing up, stepping out,
Fully-formed adults.

7. Post your files to the forum in a reply here. The wave file format is preferable, but its very large, so in this case, you should probably put it into an archive first. For me to use your recording, it must be public domain licensed (the default license for attachments).

8. Make sure that the contact info associated with your account will let me reliably reach you later. I will be sending copies of the finished song through e-mail or PMs.

-Erik

03-30-2009 at 12:12 AM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
When do you want this by?

We only have one microphone in the house, and we haven't seen it in months, so I'll need to wait for a time I can search for it. I'm not going to resort to plugging headphones in the mic jack (which I had to do a few times for school).

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-30-2009 02:44 AM]
03-30-2009 at 12:49 AM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
What arcane thing must I do open .rar files? If I open it directly, I get gibberish. I've tried it the other way, it doesn't give me a very good result.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
03-30-2009 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk

File: vat2.zip (42.6 KB)
Downloaded 74 times.
License: Other
No, I haven't done the singing yet, but here's some notation for the visual learner types ;)

(Erik, may I ask you to check that "my" midi output actually matches what you want sung? I think I listened correctly, but then it is kind of late.)

[Last edited by Znirk at 03-30-2009 01:47 AM : corrected attachment]
03-30-2009 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Kwakstur wrote:
When do you want this by?

We only have one microphone in the house, and we haven't seen it in months, so I'll need to wait for a time I can search for it. I'm not going to resort to recording through headphones (which I had to do a few times for school).
I don't have a hard deadline. It kind of depends how fast people respond and when I get a chance to work on it again. Maybe if we could get the recordings all here within a few weeks, that would be good.

-Erik

03-30-2009 at 01:14 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
12th Archivist wrote:
What arcane thing must I do open .rar files? If I open it directly, I get gibberish. I've tried it the other way, it doesn't give me a very good result.
http://www.rarsoft.com/

For Linux there's an unrar command line tool, dunno about Mac OS X; if there's some kind of swiss army knife unpacker for that OS I'm sure it would also support RAR files...

03-30-2009 at 01:15 AM
ErikH2000
12th Archivist wrote:
If you've got some program installed that will open RAR files then it should be fine. WinRAR on Windows does it. A little later I may post a ZIP archive.

03-30-2009 at 01:16 AM
ErikH2000
Znirk wrote:
(Erik, may I ask you to check that "my" midi output actually matches what you want sung? I think I listened correctly, but then it is kind of late.)
The sheet music is pretty cool.

Well, just earballing it, I'd say that some of my bad singing may have skewed your translation. Note that the first 4 stanzas all have the same melody. The first stanza ("It's a fact..."), in your MIDI file has an off first note. And I think it corresponds to me muddling it up. The melodies you have for 2nd, 3rd, 4th are all fine.

The last stanza ("Things we knew...") in your MIDI file has some notes that are off. I don't know how to efficiently convey it without spending a lot of time using a music program to do something like you did. (It would take me hours. I get the impression you put this together much more quickly.) But the words below in caps are the ones that correspond to notes that don't sound right to me in your MIDI.

Things we knew as we grew bloomed in-SIDE OUR heads.
Learning time in the slime from the VATS OUR beds.
Starting fresh in new flesh starting WITH A jolt.
Standing up, stepping out, fully FORMED A-dults.

Then there is one other bad note in the next few lines, but I don't have time to pin it down at the moment. Just note that every one of the 8 lines in this stanza has the exact same melody.

-Erik

03-30-2009 at 01:35 AM
Znirk
ErikH2000 wrote:
note that every one of the 8 lines in this stanza has the exact same melody.
Got it, I think. Updated files attached above.
03-30-2009 at 01:48 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Kwakstur wrote:
And something to note is that while WinRAR says it is limited to a 40-day trial, you can still continue to use it after that; the only difference is that each time you use it, you'll get some pathetic warning basically saying "this isn't meant to be free software, so if you'd be so kind as to buy it from us eventually, we'd appreciate it, and besides the full version has slightly better compression too, so pretty please?"
That's because it isn't free... it's a 40 day trial. You're expected (legally) to purchase it after that.

A free alternative is 7zip. This handles many compression formats including .rar
03-30-2009 at 01:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1980
Unhidetime tag for 4/2/09: I'm going to pre-emptively call this as an April Fool's setup.

03-30-2009 at 03:34 AM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606

File: inAVatParts Folder.zip (4.1 MB)
Downloaded 54 times.
Briareos wrote:
For Linux there's an unrar command line tool, dunno about Mac OS X; if there's some kind of swiss army knife unpacker for that OS I'm sure it would also support RAR files...

I'm fairly sure that any version of Mac OS X will automatically open RAR files, but if it doesn't you can download the free application StuffIt Expander from this site.
ErikH2000 wrote:
A little later I may post a ZIP archive.
I've attached one.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 03-30-2009 05:49 AM]
03-30-2009 at 03:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk

File: vat_fact.zip (2.8 MB)
Downloaded 57 times.
icon Re: Choir wanted for a song. (+3)  
OK, here's a bunch of recordings. I got 3-4 usable takes of each stanza. Pick and choose, or mix and match.
[Edit -- Hmmm. What's the file size limit around here?]
[Edit 2 -- Let's try just "it's a fact".]

[Last edited by Znirk at 03-30-2009 01:13 PM : attachment reattached]
03-30-2009 at 01:03 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
size limit is 10mb
03-30-2009 at 01:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk

File: vat_truth_true.zip (4.4 MB)
Downloaded 55 times.
NiroZ wrote:
size limit is 10mb
Thanks. That means the next two stanzas can go together ...
03-30-2009 at 01:17 PM
Znirk

File: vat_confirm.zip (2.2 MB)
Downloaded 50 times.
Some confirmation ....
03-30-2009 at 01:21 PM
Znirk

File: vat_things.zip (6.2 MB)
Downloaded 53 times.
... and the things we knew all along.
03-30-2009 at 01:25 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
You might want to make people aware that you also attached an attachment to your original attachment post.
03-31-2009 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Wow, Znirk's are very, very good. Much better than I was hoping for. People may have an easier time using his melody as a reference than mine. It is right on.

-Erik

03-31-2009 at 05:42 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Choir wanted for a song. (A DROD song, of course.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com