Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Limited Resources Compilation (I didn't feel like asking for one, so I'm making one)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
IP: Logged
icon Limited Resources Compilation (+2)  
In late February (after deleting all of the Limited Resources Contest entries) I re-uploaded them in order to make a compilation. It seemed as though MeckMeck was busy, or just not doing it, or something else. Well, no matter.

Chaco posted his compilation yesterday, and I sort of felt guilty. I never promised the compilation to anyone, but still, I realized that the rooms were good for optimization and I would like to play them under CaravelNet.

So, I started the hold today at 10:45 AM (EST). I worked on it until about 8:15 PM (also EST), minus about 1 and 1/2 hours for eating and drinking. It will include the following: all 16 entries, and a "main hall" level. This level will have

a. Stairways to all 14 entries. (I'm using the updated versions of all of the holds, posted later in both contest topics.) In addition, there will be Wesley's and Sims' entries, which weren't included in the polls.
b. A 6-room NPC retelling of the story of Bandago. 22 architects design the large dungeon, but 14 stay for the contest. this is because 22 people originally signed up. This is done.
c. An interactive list of what players started out with, and the contents of the 5 offers and prices for each item. Everything that's being sold is displayed as a statue or as an element. This is done.
d. An iteration of MeckMeck's explanation of the mechanisms of the game. This is done.

With each entry I would like to include the name of the entry, the author, the rating, all of the materials available for use, and the author's comments. So if you have anything you'd like to add for people to read before they play your hold, please post it here or PM it to me. You might not; whatever suits you is fine.

You can also post here by your own volition 'bout the compilation.

[Last edited by Swivel at 03-27-2006 03:00 AM]
03-27-2006 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Limited Resources Compilation (+1)  
Heh, glad I inspired you. I forgot about that.

Go ahead, it's an official contest and deserves a compilation even more than Jacob's contest. It even sounds all official-y too. I agree with everything in your post.

EDIT:

Feel free to do whatever you want with the first level (the hold start, which suggests my entry is a seperate building) of my entry; that might be hard to work in.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-27-2006 03:15 AM]
03-27-2006 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
icon Re: Limited Resources Compilation (0)  
Perhaps I should somehow work the courtyard for your entry into the main level, Chaco. If that's what you want, it's already done. (Latently.)

These aren't my holds (well, except for one), so other people have complete control over them. Also, the whole "author comment" thing was a whimful idea, so I don't think that it should be done.

03-27-2006 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Mine's the one under Thalamasa, etc.

My main intention was literally to use the fewest resources possible and make a decent hold--You'll notice I have 52 greckles left over. This wasn't for lack of time, this was simply my desire to see just how spartan I could be and make interesting puzzles.
03-27-2006 at 10:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: Desert of Fools.hold (11 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
License: Public Domain

I've made a(nother) small change to 2W (and 2S1W) in order to prevent mud-baby-incomplete exiting

(Because the character script ends on room exit and it's undoubtedly faster without the little guy there)
04-01-2006 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
So, how's the progress so far? Any updates/previews/screenshots/what have you?

04-01-2006 at 04:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel

File: LRC Background.hold (171.5 KB)
Downloaded 61 times.
Oh, all right. I concede.

What we have here is the NPC retelling (to the West), what supplies could be bought/bartered (to the East), and an obscure room that I wanted to beta test to the Northwestish. This room leads to Jacob's hold and comes back from it, and I wanted to have it in the style of Jacob. Basically, really hard concepts but easy execution once the moment of epiphany arrives. Either that, or really detailed execution but with a general overarching theme. However, is this room a little too hard? Is there more than one solution? I know that the room is possible.

You might divine that, in general, one room has stairs leading to a entry. Once the entry is completed, the player goes back to complete a room. When all rooms are completed, the blue door in Main Halls will open. You would be correct. There is a master door in this hold, and it will be Masters Only.

If possible, I will try to have the room reflect any motifs in the hold the stairs lead to. For example, the room leading to Fearful Symmetry is very symmetrical. Because the AE restore thing is fixed, it's possible to switch back and forth between entries.

Ironically, there are 25 levels total. So it's a dungeon, almost. It "should be" 27, but I deleted Sim's Floor 0 (I might make it a secret room), and Chaco's welcoming rooms. This is because I incorporated his welcoming rooms into the Main Halls themselves. All of the rooms for the entries are completed, except for Wesley's entry's. I just need to do some organization (this monologue is getting kind of long; isn't it?), and then if anyone wants to beta test it, they can feel free.

A problem that I've encountered it that I can't copy 2 levels at once, so if one set of stairs leads to another level, one of the stairs will end the hold (because it initially has no place to link to.) Rest assured, however; I am actively working on this compilation.

04-01-2006 at 04:44 AM
Chaco
Great, that's exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping you'd have. I'll play through what you've got so far and get back to you. Keep on architecting!

04-01-2006 at 05:01 AM
Swivel
Is that one room too hard, by the way?

04-01-2006 at 07:34 PM
Chaco
What one room? The secret room? Naw, that was a piece of cake once I thought outside the box ;)

Anyway, I'm done looking through. I like what I see. A lot. Carry on! :)

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-01-2006 09:24 PM]
04-01-2006 at 09:23 PM
Swivel
From my memory, there is a room (2N1W) that may be too difficult, or random, to include without people getting angry. You would start playing the room from the level entrance. It's not accessible from play mode.
04-01-2006 at 09:28 PM
Chaco
Oh, yeah, that one.

I just played through it, and, after thinking things through, was able to complete the room rather easily. In my own opinion, it will not be too frustrating.

After all, if I can solve it, it's probably a reasonably difficult room :)

04-01-2006 at 10:26 PM
Swivel
I plan on created a Dreamplane-like level called "Temporal Crossroads," signifying the fact that it's a link into a blatantly non-canonical world. (I am done with the main level, just to tell you.) I'm compiling a list indicating some of the interesting widgets and room strategies that convergently resulted between holds, possibly resulting from the lack of materials.

I'd hate to ask you to do anything beyond beta test this hold, if you even feel like doing that. That statement is a perfect introduction into a request for limited-resource-related cameos. I know that many people don't like contributing to holds that they will recieve marginal credit for, even if it's a listing on the Holds board topic (which I plan on doing.) But if you have any ideas or rooms, feel free to post them or send them to grac3not3s(at)gmail(dot)com. You can send spam, too, but no giving the email address out to large corporations! That would be cheating.

04-03-2006 at 01:18 AM
Chaco

File: LRC Cameo.hold (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
icon Re: Limited Resources Compilation (+2)  
Fit this in whereever you feel like it.

04-03-2006 at 01:45 AM
Swivel

File: LimitedResourcesBeta.zip (535.9 KB)
Downloaded 67 times.
icon Official Limited Resources Compilation Beta Testing (+1)  
Here is the file, my friends. If you authored a hold, you should definitely check it out and play through it. If there are any accidental (End Hold) stairwells, feel free to report them. Actually, you'd better report them. Also included in the .zip is the notepad file that I used (so that you won't have to look up the data yourself) and the story of how I altered a room: Nausea, 1st Level, 1S1E. Is the original version beatable?

Also, is agaricus5's entry beatable? I can only beat two rooms, and the exit room may rely upon an obsolete accidental slayer kill.

I'm still working on Temporal Crossroads. It's a master level that will include:
1. Various rooms from KDD and how much they would cost. I've altered some of the rooms to make them easier to solve, but listed the price of the original.
2. Comments on common themes in holds and what worked best (ie, not hack 'n' slash).
3. Frustrated/malicious NPC architects doing half-humorous things.

So, if you have time, join me in the fight to find anomalies (bugs)! Several may lie in the rooms that you need to beat after coming back from a hold. Can any be conquered prematurely?

04-05-2006 at 01:34 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226

File: Limited Difference Answer.hold (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
icon Re: Official Limited Resources Compilation Beta Testing (+1)  
The stairs in my hold (Museum part) end the hold instead of returning to the main area.
Swivel wrote:
Also, is agaricus5's entry beatable? I can only beat two rooms, and the exit room may rely upon an obsolete accidental slayer kill.
I've completed 3 rooms so far:
The Entrance: Seems to be ok.
1W: Kind of trivial, because you don't need the golem for anything and the wall structure seems unnecessarily complicated. If you've completed Perfection : Perfect 7 : 1 South, 1 West, this should be very easy.
3N1W: This has to be trivial too. It seems to me that the queen should be blocked, but you can exit to the south.

I don't know if Wesley is going to make any fixes, but I thought I'd mention those.
Nausea, 1st Level, 1S1E. Is the original version beatable?
I'll answer with another modification. Hint: This version is beatable. You can make your own conclusions about it. ;)

[Last edited by Doom at 04-05-2006 11:08 AM]
04-05-2006 at 11:02 AM
Chaco
The end level stairs in Fearful Symmetry 1S1E end the hold.

04-05-2006 at 10:42 PM
Swivel
Gosh, Doom. That room is like JtRH Level 22, just amplified a couple 1000 times. Do you have a demo of sorts?

Also, thanks, Chaco. That was because I recopied the level. I'll just go through all of the stairs again to make sure that they end up going to the 75 or so level entrances that they're supposed to go to. Of course, the entrance text will be a little more exciting than "Entrance 1."

04-05-2006 at 10:48 PM
Chaco
Also, good job fitting my courtyard in, though my stairway room looks sorta-butchered. Just a bit unclean. :?

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-05-2006 10:52 PM]
04-05-2006 at 10:51 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226

File: LDA A Rattlesnake 1W Victory.demo (770 bytes)
Downloaded 47 times.
Swivel wrote:
Gosh, Doom. That room is like JtRH Level 22, just amplified a couple 1000 times. Do you have a demo of sorts?
I bet this makes it seem very simple. Without the arrows, the serpent could be yet 2 more tiles longer.
04-06-2006 at 05:18 AM
Chaco
I'd just like to poke Swivel in the arm with a stick and ask why he hasn't told us anything for a month or so. It seemed almost but not quite done the last time he posted an update, and frankly I'm worried that this might not get posted up until a year after the original contest.

[Last edited by Chaco at 06-30-2006 02:01 AM]
06-30-2006 at 02:00 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Limited Resources Compilation (I didn't feel like asking for one, so I'm making one)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com