Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : MetDROiD Echoes (“The story is more absorbing than Prime... G serves up another monster of a hold” – The Dugandy Telegraph)
Page 3 of 10
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
geomatrx
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
IP: Logged
icon Re: MetDROiD Echoes (+2)  
Well as you had found 2 end hold bugs in about half an hour, I didn't think it would be the last.

So I just went into the editor to check every (hopefully) staircase for errors.

After importing, I found 5 more in the entire hold (and 1 was very near where you are now).

I fixed them, and verified on a fresh import.

Now you can grab the file, and you should'nt run into any more dead end staircases... in theory.

g

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
06-10-2006 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: MetDROiD Echoes (0)  
Thanks! I'll get started right away! :D

(You know, with what I see already, I'm not going to bother releasing Big Wide World this year. This is going to get every prize in the End of Year Awards there is!)
06-10-2006 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Okay, I can't figure out Temple Grounds Once North Once East. I lured to golems up to the checkpoint, but I can't figure out how to kill the other four!

EDIT: Idiot me has figured it out.

EDIT: I can't find the Boost Ball Guardian! I go in what should be the right portal, (the one directly to the left of the temple.) But I run into a dead end really quickly.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 06-11-2006 12:42 PM]
06-11-2006 at 01:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
You seem to be on the right track. Are you sure its a dead end?
Click here to view the secret text

MetDROiD Echoes
06-11-2006 at 12:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: MetDROiD Echoes (+1)  
Is that the 9x9 room with an orb in the center, and golems in three passageways? That was a *good* puzzle.

Anyway, I don't know precisely where I am in good terms to explain to you, but I have obtained the Invisibility Potion and have transfered the Ice Temple energy.

The Ice Temple room could *really* use a more accessible checkpoint... perhaps one on every "safe spot".

06-11-2006 at 01:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
I did finish that room. Now I finished the Boost Guardian. You might want to change it a bit, you can flood the room with tar and it becomes much easier. I'll be away most of the day today. But I'll continue testing tonight.
06-11-2006 at 01:33 PM
geomatrx
Thanks.
I've changed the checkpoints and placed them on each safe point at the Ice Temple.

But I will leave the boost/mimic guardian as is. This will let players decide if they want a tricky speed run, or and easy, more time consuming fight.

g

MetDROiD Echoes
06-11-2006 at 01:46 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
geomatrx wrote:
But I will leave the boost/mimic guardian as is. This will let players decide if they want a tricky speed run, or and easy, more time consuming fight.
I haven't tried this hold yet (with my schedule I will probably be waiting for the official release) but considering how hard the Boost Guardian is in the original game, I'm surprised that you are allowing an easier fight. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-11-2006 at 03:26 PM
geomatrx
Ezlo wrote:
...Now I finished the Boost Guardian. You might want to change it a bit...

Actually, I didn't realise how easy it would be to change. I swapped the green gate in this room for a black one.

g

MetDROiD Echoes
06-11-2006 at 03:46 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Something I'd like to suggest...

Sometimes I accidentally bump an extra key when going down stairs, and as a result get half a second or so to see the flavor text. This becomes a problem when the only way to see flavor text again requires replaying a whole lot of rooms.

Is there any way you can think of to tweak the log-room entrance/exits so that it's possible to get around accidental flavorskips, either by putting checkpoints next to the exits or by making it possible to get down the stairways again?

06-11-2006 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Checkpoints near exits is usually highly recommended anyway so that players can have a save game in the exit room (which, if they enter it early on, means that they won't have a save with the entire level completed). Of course if you use exits over and over again then they become less meaningful. Still, it's usually a good idea.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-11-2006 at 07:23 PM
Ezlo
geomatrx wrote:
Ezlo wrote:
...Now I finished the Boost Guardian. You might want to change it a bit...

Actually, I didn't realise how easy it would be to change. I swapped the green gate in this room for a black one.

g

I wouldn't recommend doing that, then people who reenter the room would never be able to exit again.

What I would do is make a two square wide entrance in front of the green door.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 06-11-2006 07:34 PM]
06-11-2006 at 07:33 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I haven't gotten to the Boost Guardian yet, but I agree that it should be hard. After all, it is the 3rd-hardest boss in the game (next are Quadraxis and EI). As a result, I strongly suggest keeping that room at maximum difficulty. As for unexitable black doors, how about a fuse on a gree door? If you put it in a wall, it shouldn't change the playing of the room, just that you need to drop that door.

I'm still having troubles on CW: 2S. Also, the main entrances to equivalent levels should be kept consistent (Or am I imagining it).
06-11-2006 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
geomatrx
Ezlo wrote:
I wouldn't recommend doing that, then people who reenter the room would never be able to exit again.

For the Mimic guardian, It should be ok with a black gate. There is a script in place that when you clear all the tar and the black gate drops, you can't leave the room by any other means, until you have gone through mimic training.

coppro wrote:I'm still having troubles on CW: 2S. Also, the main entrances to equivalent levels should be kept consistent (Or am I imagining it).
CW? If you mean Evil Chill, fine. All main entrances as far as I'm aware look the same

MetDROiD Echoes
06-11-2006 at 08:02 PM
Ezlo
Yes, but the problem is that you can return to the Boost Guardian room, and then you'll be forced to restore. And in your hold restoring is really hard to get the right place.

Plus, will all secret rooms get a wubba blocking them when you find them? That will be helpful in finding everything.

BTW, just beat the Alpha Blogg.
06-11-2006 at 08:50 PM
geomatrx
I don't understand the need to return to this room once it has been completed.

I started adding Wubbas to block the secrets. But if there is a statue on every staircase (there are some i've missed) that disappears when you get the secret that should be ok too? Then you can assume when you come across "empty" staircases, you can ssume you have picked that one up.

MetDROiD Echoes
06-11-2006 at 08:57 PM
Ezlo
Never mind, I see how you can exit now.

But some don't seem to have statues.

I just got the decoy potion, but I'm stuck on the training room. I can't figure out where to put the last decoy. A little help?

[Last edited by Ezlo at 06-11-2006 09:30 PM]
06-11-2006 at 09:22 PM
geomatrx
Hint 1:

Hint 2:

MetDROiD Echoes

[Last edited by geomatrx at 06-11-2006 09:34 PM]
06-11-2006 at 09:31 PM
Ezlo
What I do is this:

1. Open decoys.
2. Scare Queen East.
3. Place decoy one so that it overlaps two squares of the upper left rectangle.
4. Wait until the queen spawns lots of baby roaches.
5. Place a decoy one space right of the last one, killing it.
6. Wait a bit.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 two more times.
8. It's this decoy I can't figure out.
06-11-2006 at 09:35 PM
geomatrx
I better put a scroll in here being a bit more clear what needs to be done. You need to lure the queen (or a roach) into the monster trap at the top of the page.

I assumed that as you just cleared the previous room using monster traps, you would do it again here.

But... I just tested it, and I have found an unintentional solution

MetDROiD Echoes

[Last edited by geomatrx at 06-11-2006 09:49 PM]
06-11-2006 at 09:47 PM
Ezlo
I just found that out myself! :D I like that solution much better!

But about the monster trap, I did know that that's what I needed to do, but I just couldn't figure out how to do it.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 06-11-2006 09:49 PM]
06-11-2006 at 09:48 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
geomatrx wrote:
I started adding Wubbas to block the secrets. But if there is a statue on every staircase (there are some i've missed) that disappears when you get the secret that should be ok too? Then you can assume when you come across "empty" staircases, you can ssume you have picked that one up.

That would work for me, as it would've let me easily get the text when I accidentally autoskipped it on that one room instead of having to go back and play through several earlier rooms again. Of course, that would still mean that you need to *add* the statues in rooms like Maguig's Desert 2S2E...

Speaking of Maguig's Desert 2S2E... Once I did that room, I've found myself kinda stuck back there. I have no clue where I'm supposed to go and I can't get any farther x_X Where's that lovely hint thing that was in Samus's ship in MetDROiD Prime when it's needed...? ;)

06-11-2006 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I like the wubba idea, but I think the text should be changed from "secret acquired" or whatever to something different. Also, the first staircase you visit (Statue Training) is marked as secret.

Other than that, awesome hold!
06-11-2006 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Okay, I'm fighting Chykka. Beethro just said "With my mimic potion!" but there is no mimic potion in sight. I managed to drop the red door anyway, but still no mimic. What's up?
06-11-2006 at 10:05 PM
geomatrx
Hikari wrote:
That would work for me, as it would've let me easily get the text when I accidentally autoskipped it on that one room instead of having to go back and play through several earlier rooms again. Of course, that would still mean that you need to *add* the statues in rooms like Maguig's Desert 2S2E...
I thought that too. I also skipped the text and couldn't read it. I was going to add a room at the end with all the texts in so you could read them all (like a bonus room), but you wouldn't know this at the beging, and you might replay rooms as you did.
Speaking of Maguig's Desert 2S2E... Once I did that room, I've found myself kinda stuck back there. I have no clue where I'm supposed to go and I can't get any farther x_X Where's that lovely hint thing that was in Samus's ship in MetDROiD Prime when it's needed...? ;)
Well the hint system here is the part where you collect items and go through a staircase journey. The one that will make the most progress (usually leading to another item) is marked with !!.

Why did I keep the items as secrets?

MetDROiD Echoes

[Last edited by geomatrx at 06-11-2006 10:18 PM]
06-11-2006 at 10:07 PM
geomatrx
Ezlo wrote:
Okay, I'm fighting Chykka. Beethro just said "With my mimic potion!" but there is no mimic potion in sight. I managed to drop the red door anyway, but still no mimic. What's up?

The Wubba should appear a little later. The mimic is underneath him.

I've fixed this now.

New version is 1.1.

g

MetDROiD Echoes
06-11-2006 at 10:17 PM
Chaco
Is Wretched Bog Quarce South Twice East possible? After dropping the trapdoors with the first mimic, I kill the SW queen with it.

However, I only have one mimic to kill the roach queens and roaches at top. Starting on the left makes it impossible to get to the roach pocket at right, but if I start at the right and use roaches to get up, roaches from the left spill into two force arrow traps, making it impossible for me to chase them down using the mimic.

:?

06-11-2006 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
The first part is fine.

MetDROiD Echoes

[Last edited by geomatrx at 06-11-2006 10:55 PM]
06-11-2006 at 10:55 PM
geomatrx
Ezlo wrote:
Okay, Winter factory Once South Once East. I know I need to one use one of the two begining trapdoors, but I can't figure out how to survive the eyes without using two trapdoors.
Err... I think its 1S2E :)

I can't believe how much progress you've made Ez... I am very impressed :thumbsup

But I don't think you will finish tonight, definatly not all the secrets anyhow ;)

g

MetDROiD Echoes
06-11-2006 at 11:20 PM
Chaco
Wretched Bog Once East:

...what mimic? Mr. Wubba doesn't feel like moving.

06-12-2006 at 12:11 AM
Page 3 of 10
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : MetDROiD Echoes (“The story is more absorbing than Prime... G serves up another monster of a hold” – The Dugandy Telegraph)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com