Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : MetDROiD Echoes (“The story is more absorbing than Prime... G serves up another monster of a hold” – The Dugandy Telegraph)
Page 2 of 10
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
IP: Logged
icon Re: MetDROiD Echoes (0)  
geomatrx wrote:
I have a few architect questions.
I'm not the best architect around, but I think I can try to answer.
1) If you change the level entrances, do all the stairways in that level defaulkt back to end hold?
No idea, but I would suggest you to check every stairs before uploading.
2) How stable has the stairway mapping become now (compared to AE)? How should I be carefull to watch for the "end staircase" bug?
I've seen holds made in JtRH that has a staircase bug. (Even in my test version of Prime :)) So, again, check your stairs before uploading. (Yes, I know you've got lots of stairs, sorry.)
3) When adding custom sounds (bells), does it add the sound for every instance you use it (increase the file size of the hold), or does it reference to the sound?
If these are mp3 or ogg files, then they won't be shared.

02-27-2006 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Tim wrote:
geomatrx wrote:
...When adding custom sounds (bells), does it add the sound for every instance you use it (increase the file size of the hold), or does it reference to the sound?
If these are mp3 or ogg files, then they won't be shared.
They are PCM, 11025 Hz, 1 channel(s), 16 bits per sample
Length: 0:00
About 20k each.
Will these be referenced??

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
02-27-2006 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
If you've made them yourself, then no. (All non-standard ones will not be reused. I'm not sure about the JtRH default sounds.)
02-27-2006 at 09:36 PM
geomatrx
I think i might get away with re-using them - they are small, and im only reusing them for a few puzzles.

thanks tim.
g

MetDROiD Echoes
02-27-2006 at 10:59 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I beleive that modifiying the entrance will reset all stairs leading to that entrance. Note, however, that you can drag it around without interfering with mapping.
02-28-2006 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: MetDROiD Echoes (+1)  
geomatrx wrote:

1) If you change the level entrances, do all the stairways in that level defaulkt back to end hold?
Whenever a level entrance is deleted, then all stairs that used to go to that entrance are reset to End Hold. As has been stated, dragging a level entrance to a different part of the room doesn't delete it. This is nicer than in the AE editor, which didn't have this, iirc. Also, changing the text description of the entrance doesn't affect stairs either.
2) How stable has the stairway mapping become now (compared to AE)? How should I be carefull to watch for the "end staircase" bug?
I'm not sure what you mean by stairway mapping, but maybe the answer to #1 makes this clear.
3) When adding custom sounds (bells), does it add the sound for every instance you use it (increase the file size of the hold), or does it reference to the sound?
Each sound import is a separate data object that takes up its own memory in the hold. A way to reference common sounds in a hold will be in TCB.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-01-2006 08:35 PM]
03-01-2006 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
mrimer wrote:
geomatrx wrote:

Whenever a level entrance is deleted, then all stairs that used to go to that entrance are reset to End Hold. As has been stated, dragging a level entrance to a different part of the room doesn't delete it. This is nicer than in the AE editor, which didn't have this, iirc. Also, changing the text description of the entrance doesn't affect stairs either.

Thanks for this, but what if the entrance was changed to another room - thus affecting the surrounding compass points and staircases in other rooms of that level. As these will have all been "changed", would all the staircases leading to these rooms reset?

MetDROiD Echoes

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-01-2006 11:24 PM]
03-01-2006 at 11:01 PM
coppro
The Level Entrance? Shouldn't matter. If you make an entrance the Entrance, then compass points remap. Stairs leading to the old entrance still lead there, and the same holds true for the new entrance.
03-01-2006 at 11:10 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
geomatrx wrote:
what if the [Main] entrance was changed to another room - thus affecting the surrounding compass points and staircases in other rooms of that level. As these will have all been "changed", would all the staircases leading to these rooms reset?
Coppro is correct. Room coordinates do not matter for level entrances and exits. Only the level entrance markers themselves matter. Marking a different entrance as the main one in a level doesn't affect any existing stair destinations.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-01-2006 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
So I've been playing around, waiting for the next version, and I found a couple of red statues that can be killed. I not quite sure if this is intentional or not? And, The Grand Whistle Chamber is quite empty.
03-17-2006 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
Thanks Ezlo.
The red statues are not working yet in this version, and the room formerly know as the "whistle chamber" is now complete. Now it is known by its room co-ordinates. Thought it would be nice to name each room, but I'm thinking of taking this away, as it is conflicting with some of the speach scripts within certain rooms.

I've done all the rooms, except the last boss(es). I'm starting to map all the rooms and build the secret rooms too. Will post something in the next week or so.

How are some of the rooms with "completed" puzzles?

g

MetDROiD Echoes
03-17-2006 at 03:57 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I really liked the idea of the "eye security lock" puzzle. It was rather enjoyable to solve.

03-17-2006 at 04:28 PM
Ezlo
I like the little puzzles in the two rooms that represent the "Hall of Combat Mastery" Nicely done! :thumbsup I also found a slight scripting error in what I think is Dark Torvus Temple, I don't collect the second invisibility potion, so that way the roach queens don't spawn, so the guy never kills the decoys. Even when I solve it correctly though, I can't figure out to get out after he goes on his rampage. I really like the boss rooms, though Alpha Blog and Power Bomb Guardian has me stumped. Spider Ball was superb! It was REALLY good. And I mean REALLY, I loved the puzzles! I can't wait for staircases to be mapped so I can test whole portions of it! And I look forward to the next Dark Samus fights as well.

And please please please please please keep the names of the rooms! It gives the hold a whole ton of unique character! I love it! :D ;)
03-17-2006 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
Ezlo wrote:
...I don't collect the second invisibility potion, so that way the roach queens don't spawn, so the guy never kills the decoys. Even when I solve it correctly though, I can't figure out to get out after he goes on his rampage... please please please please please keep the names of the rooms! It gives the hold a whole ton of unique character! I love it! :D ;)

Thanks Ez. I've fixed that so you need to collect the second invisibilty potion. You exit the room via the staircase to the left - which isn't mapped :(
I will also leave the room names in (even though I just deleted all the first levels :angry

Thank you both for your comments. :thumbsup

g

MetDROiD Echoes
03-17-2006 at 10:18 PM
geomatrx
Ok,

I will give you updates on this hold, and will try to devote at least 'some' time each week to try to get the staicases working, and all the sequences so it is playable from start to finish.

g

MetDROiD Echoes
05-17-2006 at 10:13 AM
Ezlo
Thank you!
05-17-2006 at 11:37 AM
geomatrx
No no, Thank you Ezlo :)

MetDROiD Echoes
05-17-2006 at 12:11 PM
geomatrx
Ok,

Update 21/05/06
I've completly mapped the stairways to 4 of the 10 'levels' that make up this hold (about 94 of 193 rooms).

The levels that are complete are:

U-Man's Temple (Light)
Temple Gardens (Light)
Maguig's Desert (Light)
Slugman Forrest (Light)

Still to do are:
Winter Factory (Light)
The Pit (Dark)
Dungeon Cells (Dark)
Evil Chill (Dark)
Wretched Bog (Dark)
King Armin's Fort (Dark)

I've put a spreadsheet together to help assist me planning the mapping of the staircases, so I point to the right entrance using number sequences.

However, I still cannot release anything, because in each "light" area, you have to enter its "dark" twin. Therfore, until I map those dark areas, no serious testing can commence.

As soon as the mapping is complete, I can focus more on refining the story, as well as working on a "big secret" that you need to find in the hold.

Thanks for your patience, and I will update you again soon.

Cheers,g

MetDROiD Echoes
05-21-2006 at 02:40 PM
coppro
Could you possibly attempt to either tell me where the file is, or reattach it? I can't uncover the hidden beta-testing file. Based on the fact that you are posting here, I presume that you don't have a beta-board set up, but if you do feel free to invite me in.

Thanks.
05-21-2006 at 05:42 PM
geomatrx
Ok, quick update here cause i'm just off to bed, but as we are back online...

Update 05/06/2006

During the forum outage (and purely by coincidence) my hold is almost ready for some of you lucky folk to beta test.

All the staircases are mapped, and the hold should be fully playable from end to end.

I am currently play testing it myself now before I post to eliminate any "obvious" bugs.

When I do post it, there will be things I will be working on:
- The final boss room I still need to create
- Alot of the secret rooms are empty, but I will be doing something funky with them.

Please let me know if you wish to beta test, but please only offer if you are willing to do a complete start to finish run - I will let you know how long it takes me when I finish it once.

Cheers,
g

MetDROiD Echoes
06-05-2006 at 12:14 AM
Ezlo
I'll still be first on the list! :D
06-05-2006 at 02:10 AM
coppro
I'll tentatively sign up. Not sure whether or not I'll end up doing it all (parents, you know), because my computer access in the summer may or may not be limited.
06-05-2006 at 02:15 AM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
I'd like to sign up, if for no good reason other than that I finally mastered MetDROiD Prime in the last couple of days (the last secret room was a *doozy*), and would love to get my hands on some more MetDROiD goodness. Especially if I can get a chance to run through it in beta form ^_^

OK, so I do have a good reason other than being out of MetDROiD goodness. Geomatrx, your holds are freaking awesome. :D

06-07-2006 at 12:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tim
Downloading right now...

I can't wait to play it!

06-10-2006 at 06:12 PM
geomatrx
icon Re: MetDROiD Echoes (+2)  
Ok,

I've uploaded the completed test version.
My time was nearly 13hrs (180,000 steps) - and I knew where everything was.

I've played though it myself, got 100% of the secrets, and as far as I could see, all the staircases are mapped properly.

Have a go, but be warned - it is long!
Cheers,
g

MetDROiD Echoes
06-10-2006 at 06:42 PM
Ezlo
Somehow, the exit in Statue Training ends the hold. Sorry. But the real problem is, the biggest problem of them all, is that you got rid of the names of all the rooms. Why? That was the best part of the whole thing! It gave it so much of a feel to it! It gave the hold it's own unique style! Not that it doesn't have one already, but still!
06-10-2006 at 09:59 PM
geomatrx
Ezlo wrote:
Somehow, the exit in Statue Training ends the hold.
That is strange, as I've played through it.
But I imported it into DROD:KDD, and you're right, it does end the hold. I deleted that staircase, re-mapped and then re-imported. It seems to be fine now.
Sorry. But the real problem is, the biggest problem of them all, is that you got rid of the names of all the rooms. Why? That was the best part of the whole thing! It gave it so much of a feel to it! It gave the hold it's own unique style! Not that it doesn't have one already, but still!
Sorry Ez, but it was conflicting with some speech scripts in I had going. I agree it added to the atmosphere, and could have made interesting clues to relate to... but maybe I'll leave this for feature for TCB.

g

MetDROiD Echoes
06-10-2006 at 10:32 PM
Ezlo
Maugig's Desert has a hold ending staircase as well. It was just getting to the good stuff as well! :~(
06-10-2006 at 10:55 PM
geomatrx
Checked. Fixed. Uploaded.

This is annoying, as my original file is fine - it must be when you do a fresh import.

g

MetDROiD Echoes
06-10-2006 at 11:07 PM
Ezlo
Where is it? I don't see the file.
06-10-2006 at 11:31 PM
Page 2 of 10
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : MetDROiD Echoes (“The story is more absorbing than Prime... G serves up another monster of a hold” – The Dugandy Telegraph)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com