Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "I highly recommend it to everyone and hope it will become a standard feature at some point." (-larrymurk)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon "I highly recommend it to everyone and hope it will become a standard feature at some point." (+1)  
Basically, I propose having some of the common mods, especially see-through tar and mud, be standard options which the user can turn on.
Also along that thought process, I propose that we have the option to make spiders always visible. I could do this in AE with a simple graphical mod, but JtRH complicates things ridiculously.
Both of these violate the principle of all being predictable (except scripting) ab initio.

01-20-2006 at 06:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: "I highly recommend it to everyone and hope it will become a standard feature at some point." (0)  
Thats a pretty good idea. I use transparent tar, and could never go back. Would be good to just have an option to check like that for people who don't.
01-20-2006 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Thy Dungeonman
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
icon Re: "I highly recommend it to everyone and hope it will become a standard feature at some point." (0)  
I don't like the idea. I like the idea of at least one or two obstacles keeping DROD from being perfect information. I use this in my upcoming hold.
01-21-2006 at 02:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Spiders were changed in JtRH to differentiate them from roaches and make them somewhat useful. The perfect information point was well-debated during the spider change, and it was felt that JtRH spiders, even though it's not perfect information, aren't far off as they'll reveal themselves whenever they move or turn, and you're bound to see them as you play the room. Moreover, there's no real way to make the monster comply with the perfect information ideal completely without making it redundant, so the next best thing is to make it a case of keeping tabs on it as it moves around.

01-21-2006 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I very much agree with the transparent tar idea (though I myself much prefer the "pale translucent" thing you see in the editor to the "swiss cheese" style popular in mods). Visible spiders, on the other hand, seem to me to break a number of things, such as the spiders-next-to-bombs locks, none of which I can remember the locations of.

Of course, what with scripting and monster placement, the whole "perfect information" thing seems rather weakened already.
01-21-2006 at 05:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
The semi-translucent thing is possible in the editor because they can use alpha layers.

You /have/ to dither(swiss cheese) it in the tar because you can't have half-transparency. Sorry to say, but that's just how it works.
01-21-2006 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Banjooie wrote:
The semi-translucent thing is possible in the editor because they can use alpha layers.

You /have/ to dither(swiss cheese) it in the tar because you can't have half-transparency. Sorry to say, but that's just how it works.

Tell you what: I'll accept that explanation, as long as you don't expect me to understand it. :-)
01-22-2006 at 05:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Tahnan wrote:
Banjooie wrote:

Tell you what: I'll accept that explanation, as long as you don't expect me to understand it. :-)

Roughly, he meant that the "pale transparent" thing needs to be written in the program, so it's not possible to use it in mods, where each pixel must be either transparent or not. Note that if transparent tar is written into the game as an option or something similar, it would not be constrained in the same way mods are.

01-22-2006 at 05:31 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: "I highly recommend it to everyone and hope it will become a standard feature at some point." (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
Basically, I propose having some of the common mods, especially see-through tar and mud, be standard options which the user can turn on.
I agree. Transparent tar and mud would be a useful option. This would allow for the possibility of walls or trapdoors-under-tar type puzzles without being annoying. The dynamics of tar on top of objects can be quite different to tar or mud on top of floor, and often require a new set of techniques to deal with it effectively (tar on irregular trapdoor areas is an example that springs to mind).

01-28-2006 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
It would also be good for those of us who just can't seem to get the modular mod working. :?

01-28-2006 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "I highly recommend it to everyone and hope it will become a standard feature at some point." (-larrymurk)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com