Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Fine-Smelling New Year (Our News for January)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Re: Fine-Smelling New Year (0)  
Good point...

At the risk of sounding controversial, how about at least increasing the yearly subscription cost ? So many hours fun for so little money seems wrong somehow...
01-14-2006 at 02:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
No! Think of the cheapskates who still want to be part of the community!

01-14-2006 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Like me!

Wait a second... :shifty
01-14-2006 at 03:52 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I just subscribed to CaravelNet for 15 months, and I have these questions as a result:
How do I download the Smitemaster's Selections?
Why was my subscription started today instead of being added to the month that came with JtRH (selfish consumer, remember)?
If CaravelNet has a members' area or FAQ or something, other than in my profile, where can I find it?
Why has DROD now apparently deleted my player (no worries, got a backup)?

[Last edited by Jatopian at 01-26-2006 11:56 PM : added Q, subscribed]
01-26-2006 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Fine-Smelling New Year (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
I just subscribed to CaravelNet for 15 months, and I have these questions as a result:
You download them from the Change Location menu in-game.
Why was my subscription started today instead of being added to the month that came with JtRH (selfish consumer, remember)?
Because you couldn't do SS holds before. Now you can, so the subscription really starts now. Would you rather not be able to download the SS holds until the trial membership is up? :)
If CaravelNet has a members' area or FAQ or something, other than in my profile, where can I find it?
Hmm, I don't know why you think there's a members area...there's the tab in your profile, and the FAQ is in The Site board and also on the new website, drod.caravelgames.com.
That's a very good question. I don't know how that could have happened. Should probably make sure Mike or Schik sees this. Anything in drod.err?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-27-2006 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Oneiromancer wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
You download them from the Change Location menu in-game.
Being a true DROD player, I figured this out shortly after you replied.
Hmm, I don't know why you think there's a members area...
Some offhand comment Erik made about possibly putting "I Saw Isosceles" there... I think. I may misremember.
That's a very good question. I don't know how that could have happened. Should probably make sure Mike or Schik sees this. Anything in drod.err?
No, but I did notice that I forgot to patch the 2.0.6 version on the connected computer. :nugget

01-27-2006 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Ah, there are some downloads available only to CaravelNet members or owners of the various products on the Downloads page, but that isn't really a special area, just an extension of an existing one.

And 2.0.6? Yeah, you should be on 2.0.12 now. We assume no responsibility for you failing to be up-to-date. :D

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-27-2006 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
John259
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
icon Re: Fine-Smelling New Year (+1)  
Two things about the great game of DROD which have long mystified me and which could perhaps be made a bit clearer:

Why is there an option to pay for CaravelNet membership, when it can be accessed free of charge (as I am doing now)? What advantages if any does a paid membership offer?

Why is "King Dugan's Dungeon" offered on sale, when it is included in full in the free version of Architect's Edition? Is the payware version superior in any way?

No doubt the answers are obvious to most people here, but not to me or I suspect many other newbies.

John

01-27-2006 at 07:16 AM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Fine-Smelling New Year (+2)  
John259 wrote:
Why is there an option to pay for CaravelNet membership, when it can be accessed free of charge (as I am doing now)? What advantages if any does a paid membership offer?
Well...the forum is not CaravelNet. Check out the CaravelNet FAQ.

Why is "King Dugan's Dungeon" offered on sale, when it is included in full in the free version of Architect's Edition? Is the payware version superior in any way?
Yes, "KDD2.0" is superior in almost every way to the original. It includes scripted conversations and story elements with full voice acting. It uses the enhanced graphics of the new engine (although admittedly some people like the original 9 styles over the 3 new ones). Some of the worst bugs were fixed, like that room on level 8 that makes people unable to clear the level. About 20 new secret rooms were added to challenge the delver. The original KDD does not have high scores enabled; you have to play this version if you want to compete online or download demos in-game (although if you buy the KDD CD then you will still need to get CaravelNet separately in order to do this past the trial month). Probably the only real advantage the original has is that it has the original ending, which we had to try to emulate in-game in the new version. It's still a good ending, but it doesn't have the same uniqueness that the original did.

No doubt the answers are obvious to most people here, but not to me or I suspect many other newbies.
Hopefully once the new site is fully live, the FAQs will be more easily accessible and most questions will be answered therein.

Game on,

01-27-2006 at 07:24 AM
John259
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Many thanks for such a quick and full reply, very much appreciated.

Oneiromancer wrote:
Well...the forum is not CaravelNet. Check out the CaravelNet FAQ.

Ah! The light begins to dawn! I've seen various references on the forum to things which that FAQ explains. I'll have a careful read of it.

Yes, "KDD2.0" is superior in almost every way to the original...

Sounds good!

Hopefully once the new site is fully live, the FAQs will be more easily accessible and most questions will be answered therein.

That'll help greatly. Presumably there are also plans to add more explanations on the shop-related pages?

Thanks again,

John

01-27-2006 at 07:45 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Fine-Smelling New Year (Our News for January)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com