Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death (Our contest for October.)
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged

File: RoomExample.jpg (79.9 KB)
Downloaded 945 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
icon Smite to the Death (+4)  
I think it's time to do something really different. Let's have a game of multi-player DROD! We'll put a bunch of smitemasters in one room and have them stab and slice until just one remains. How does it work exactly? You declare your intention to enter the tournament by replying to this topic. You can put in one or more bids for your placement too (explained below). The deadline for declaring yourself as an entrant and making bids is:

Local Time:10-08-2005 at 01:00 AM

After the deadline, no further bids or entrants will be accepted. I will then create a DROD room that will contain one swordsmen for each of the entrants. Your sword-wielding character will have all of the abilities of Beethro. The goal will be to eliminate as many of the other entrants as possible. I'll post an initial hold showing the starting positions of players. Here's an example room:

I'm going to make the room later based on the number of people entering, so this is just an example. The game progresses in repeating cycles of posting a current hold that shows the latest positions, accepting commands from players, posting an updated hold that shows results of commands, and so on, until there is only one swordsman left.

Bidding for Placement in Turn Sequence

It is helpful to have your swordsman move before others. If you are assigned the #1 placement, then you would always move before other players on each cycle.

Placement in the turn sequence is determined by how you bid before the game begins. You make a bid at the time you declare yourself as an entrant or any time between then and the first deadline. The bid will be for a number of kills that will be subtracted from your end score (described under "Winning"). A higher bid will give you better placement and make it easier to kill other players, but the handicap you give yourself with your bid may make your final score too small to win. You can bid as many times as you like, but each bid you make must be larger than the previous one you made.

If two players make the same bid, higher placement will be given to the one who made his bid sooner. Declaring yourself as an entrant without specifying a bid is considered the same as bidding 0. So it is helpful to declare yourself as an entrant sooner.

Example 1: You bid "5 kills" and nobody bids higher than that by time of deadline. You are player #1 and will move first on all cycles.

Example 2: You bid 5 after another person bids 5. By time of deadline, your two bids haven't changed, and nobody else has bid 5 or higher. He is player #1 and you are player #2.

Example 3: You bid 5. Another player bids 5. You raise your bid to 6 and the deadline ends further bidding. You are player #1 and he is player #2.

Issuing Commands

As an entrant, you would control one swordsman in the room. Every two days, you have an opportunity to submit 5 movement commands. To avoid ambiguity and make it simple for me to enter them, they should be submitted as five movement code letters separated by spaces, i.e. "7 7 5 Q W". The available movement codes are:

7 - move northwest
8 - move north
9 - move northeast
4 - move west
5 - wait without moving
6 - move east
1 - move southwest
2 - move south
3 - move southeast
q - turn sword counter-clockwise
w - turn sword clockwise

If you don't submit your commands in time for an update, it's the same as submitting "5 5 5 5 5" and your swordsman won't move. If you're going to be out of town or busy or something, it could be a good idea to appoint an alternate to issue moves using his own judgment for times when you are unavailable. I imagine that after some entrants are removed from the game, some of these people will be interested in being alternates.

If you submit anything other than 5 valid command codes, your command codes for the cycle may end up being "5 5 5 5 5" (5 turns of waiting).

Turn Sequence

Going first or last will often change results dramatically. Turn sequence is determined by player bids (explained earlier) and assigned permanently at the game's beginning. For each turn, only one of the entrant's commands will be performed. So if you are assigned the #2 place in turn sequence with 10 entrants, and submitted "3 2 Q Q Q" for your commands, the first cycle would go like this:

Turn 1
Player #1's first command is performed.
Player #2's first command is performed. (You move southeast.)
Player #3's first command is performed.
Player #10's first command is performed.

Turn 2
Player #1's second command is performed.
Player #2's second command is performed. (You move south.)
Player #3's second command is performed.
Player #10's second command is performed.

...and then for turn 3, 4, and 5, everyone's 3rd, 4th, and 5th commands are performed.

Resolving Movement

The results of movement will be determined by the DROD game itself. Your character will be a scripted guard NPC. Your commands will be added to the script without any thought given to their consequences. If moving up makes you hit a wall, you'll simply bump into that wall and not move. There won't be any chance for us to correct the command you gave us, even if it is obvious you intended something else than what you submitted. So it is very important for you to doublecheck your commands before submitting.

One related question that has come up a few times: What if you walk into another player's sword? Your movement would be blocked and it would be the same as pressing "5" (wait) for that turn. Note that this follows from the "physics" of guard NPCs. Adding a script command for a guard to walk onto a square containing another guard's sword will cause the guard to stay in his square without moving.

There is no simultaneous movement. Two players can't kill each other on the same turn. The sequence of movement is described in the previous section.

Dieing

If another player's sword enters your square, you die and are removed from the game. You can die and still win the game, as we'll see next.

Winning

Entrants are scored by their number of kills with their bid for turn sequence placement subtracted from it. So by kill count, first place winner will receive 100 rank points and any item of his choosing from the Prize Pile, second place winner takes 50 rank points, and the third place winner gets 25 rank points. If you've never participated in any DROD contest before, and this is your first contest, then you'll get a 10 rank point "rookie" bonus for trying something new.

What if people have the same kill count? In that case, of those having the same kill count, whoever survived longer will be ranked higher.

No Private Sharing of Game Information

You can talk about all aspects of the game at any time, but it must be done publicly on the board. Collusion makes the game political instead of tactical. A political game with hidden alliances might be great fun to try sometime but this contest wasn't designed that way. Don't provide game information privately to anyone else or offer to--that will disqualify you. And for the sake of the game, if anyone approaches you with private game information, please tattle on him to me and I'll disqualify him. Simply asking someone if they would like to coordinate movements with you in private or exchange any form of private game information is going to disqualify you. It's important that people aren't allowed to put feelers out, i.e. "Do you feel like cheating? No? Okay, no problem! Never mind, it was probably a bad idea, anyhow." And unfortunately, ignorance of the rule can't excuse you, or the rule may not be effective.

Strategy

Do you remember the scene in the Princess Bride where Vizzini, the criminal mastermind from Sicily tries to determine into which of two cups the hero, Westley, has placed poison?

"Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me."

Vizzini, with his dizzying intellect, basically overthought the situation. Could he really know which cup Westley put the poison in? After one or two layers of guessing about who thinks what, it gets pretty silly and you have to admit that you just don't know. I think there may be many places in the game where you'll run into this Sicilian problem, and no doubt luck will play a large part in your success. But don't throw up your hands in despair. Just because there is a lot of hidden information that can't be deduced doesn't mean one move is always as good as another. You can analyze what moves are possible to you and your fellow entrants. You can decide that certain moves of other entrants are very likely or not likely. You can find the moves that put you in positions where luck is on your side, i.e. avoiding a square that is close to two or more player's swords. You can look for patterns from previous moves, i.e. a certain player is consistently aggressive, so perhaps a sidestepping attack is in order.

By the way, please, don't spoil that scene from the Princess Bride for anyone who hasn't seen the movie. Everybody deserves to see for themselves the surprising outcome of Westley and Vizzini's test of wits.

So who's signing up to play? Also, if anyone would like to volunteer to help me update the hold for cycles, we could figure some kind of kickback for you.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-05-2005 06:08 AM]
10-03-2005 at 11:13 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Smite to the Death (+1)  
Wow. This looks like a lot of fun. Count me in!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-03-2005 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
Hmmm, sounds a bit like RoboRunner crossed with DROD... DRODoRunner!

I'm in.

10-04-2005 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Ah! A contest I feel comfortable with! I'm in.
10-04-2005 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I'm in.

10-04-2005 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Yup, sign me up.

And the Princess Bride is indeed a clasic movie. :thumbsup
10-04-2005 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I am so in.
10-04-2005 at 01:01 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Sign me in. There's a chance I'll be internet-less for a couple of days in the middle, but hopefully not.

10-04-2005 at 01:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
This sounds pretty sweet! You can count me in for sure. And if there's some way where I can play in addition to being the updating volunteer, that would be super-rad. Otherwise, I would love to update rather than play. This contest kinda reminds me of the days of DROD Survivor, specifically when I ran the RPS challenge. It's really fun to see how things are panning out between players and try to analyze the game from that perspective.

Here's a thought: Since the contest is somewhat luck-based and we're going to have a limited number of participants, we're probably going to have a lot of ties for the first three positions. Perhaps longevity should be a tiebreaker in that case?

Again, very cool contest.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 10-04-2005 05:00 AM]
10-04-2005 at 04:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I can play, help you update the hold, or both if possible.

Cool contest!

Idea: Players can choose either mimic, decoy, Beethro, Slayer or guard character for the game. I think that it might be cool. You can have different skins in many multiplayer games.

If it would get too messy, all guards is naturally fine.

[Last edited by Doom at 10-04-2005 09:13 AM]
10-04-2005 at 05:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
worm
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
At ten it may get crowded.

I'm in, if I'm allowed to be in.

:glasses
10-04-2005 at 05:39 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

I am not left-handed.

No wait, I am left-handed.

I'm in.

10-04-2005 at 05:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
worm wrote:
At ten it may get crowded.
The more the merrier! With a 38x32 room, there's plenty of space, and with more people, the easier it is to have a clear-cut winner!

And if there really are that many, there could be two smaller arenas and the top x people from each one fight it out later.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-04-2005 at 05:41 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
This sounds to me like playing DROD by mail.

Nontheless, I am in. Seriously. I'll do something this time. Honest!

10-04-2005 at 05:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
I'm new to the site (okay, not literally, I've posted a couple of times), but this idea interests me enough that I'm going to try it.

EDIT: I bid Zero, and if we can choose our sprite, request the Neather sprite.

[Last edited by NekoIncardine at 10-07-2005 07:02 AM]
10-04-2005 at 06:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
If there's still room for this, I'm so in on it.
10-04-2005 at 07:26 AM
Malarame
Rank Points: 220
I'm definitely in. It sounds like this is going to be a pretty fun contest.

I only have one question: are we going to be allowed to talk to the other players and maybe try to work together?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx

[Last edited by Malarame at 10-04-2005 07:52 AM]
10-04-2005 at 07:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Korgath
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
I'll emerge from the darkness once more to join in a crazy contest like this

I'm in
10-04-2005 at 08:01 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
This sounds like my kind of contest!

I'll cram myself in somewhere.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
10-04-2005 at 08:59 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
I'm in (and will be out by the third cycle, I presume) ;)
10-04-2005 at 09:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
Count me in.

10-04-2005 at 09:44 AM
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
...sounds like a great one!

so i'll try it too.

hope i don't die to easrly :)

zaubberer

:wizard

EDITED to place my bid: i bid 3 kills. :guns

[Last edited by zaubberer at 10-05-2005 07:48 PM]
10-04-2005 at 09:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Am in too (if possible). It looks like there's a lot of people competing, inconceivable!

10-04-2005 at 11:19 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I want to be in! I could win... something since it's my first time participate in one of your contests!

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 10-04-2005 11:38 AM]
10-04-2005 at 11:35 AM
Svante
Rank Points: 169
Sounds fun, I'm in.

-Svante
10-04-2005 at 11:56 AM
leroy00
Rank Points: 155
Although my internet access is generally sporadic, I'd like to join in on the contest. At the least, I get to be cannon fodder.

-leroy

10-04-2005 at 12:38 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Smite to the Death (0)  
Players can choose either mimic, decoy, Beethro, Slayer or guard character for the game.

or the Neather! he has a hammer.

10-04-2005 at 01:35 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Heck, I'll join in. Sounds interesting.

10-04-2005 at 01:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
There's no Neather sprite in JtRH. (Unless one was added for the updated version of KDD2 in some special way, which I doubt) The AE sprite wouldn't fit on the grid without resizing and making it look like mess.

It might also be a good idea to extend that quote or people may think that Erik said it as a part of the rules.
10-04-2005 at 01:43 PM
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
I'm in too.
10-04-2005 at 01:58 PM
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death (Our contest for October.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com