Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Meckmecks Dungeon (Assorted medium Puzzles with a story and some extras)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.3/10 (16 votes)
σ 1.21
Author Name:Daniel Blochinger
Submitted By:MeckMeck GRE
Hold Name:King Meckmecks Dungeon
Theme:Assorted medium Puzzles with a story and some extras
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:13
Number of Rooms:105
Number of Monsters:2506
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: King Meckmecks Dungeon.hold (1.8 MB)
Downloaded 2313 times.
License: Other
icon King Meckmecks Dungeon  
After about 2 months of work its finally ready ! With King Meckmecks Dungeon you will get :

--> Several rooms filled with medium puzzles !
--> Secret rooms and bonus rooms
--> Secondary objectives that makes your life harder
--> A story with some nice scriptwork
--> Characters that really speak (sound)
--> Some funny or annoying oddnesses and things...

Changes to the last Beta in the Architecture Board :
--> The payment is lower so it compares to other holds.
--> Added a "library"
--> Added some rooms
--> Minor changes and fixes

If you notice a bug : Tell it me.

Thanks to everybody betatesting my hold, especially to Jacob for the idea of control scripts. Thanks to everybody playing my hold and giving me a feedback.

Now download it and enjoy it.
05-05-2005 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: King Meckmecks Dungeon (+1)  
Quite nice hold, marred by poor English, walls and trapdoors under tar (only a couple of rooms) and a couple of unintentional solutions.
But quite fun, and a nice easy diversion from JtRH (level 24's killing me). Some nice rooms here, but nothing amazingly original. Nice idea to include challenges within the hold.
One problem:
Click here to view the secret text

05-07-2005 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: King Meckmecks Dungeon (0)  
All I'm going to say is that the room with the wraithwings and trapdoors (The Big Fridge, somewhere in the northern bits) has evoked in me a hatred previously unknown to mankind.

Other than that, awesome!

I lie. I have more to say.

Alright. I've beaten the hold with the exception of that hated room in the Big Fridge. You appear to have misplaced two of the secret rooms, seeing as though I've found the walls, but not the rooms themselves.

This is somewhat irritating, because a fix for this may well involve beating the entire thing /again/.

[Edited by Banjooie at Local Time:05-08-2005 at 08:17 AM]
05-08-2005 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
There is no 1N4E in the forrest. The crumbly wall is just a minor bug. I actually masterd my own hold so there is no secret room you cant get at.
05-08-2005 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Well, Level 4 1S has a giant gaping hallway that leads to nowhere....

And 3E has a broken wall in the upper right corner that also doesn't lead anywhere.

I'm also somewhat iffy about the, uh, common theme of 'doors that are wider on one side than the other'.

I'm serious, you've done a lot of good work here, but...

...and as I look for this secret in level 4, more problems arise.

Level 4, 1N, 1N1W: If you move between either of these rooms (And it's possible, you've left it open, you are then trapped and have to restore. And if you tell me that this is /intentional/, I may be forced into violence.

[Edited by Banjooie at Local Time:05-08-2005 at 06:55 PM]
05-08-2005 at 06:45 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Banjooie wrote:
Well, Level 4 1S has a giant gaping hallway that leads to nowhere....

==> Lvl 4 1S ? Are you sure ? All exits work...

And 3E has a broken wall in the upper right corner that also doesn't lead anywhere.

==> Bug.... will be fixed when fixing is avaiable

I'm also somewhat iffy about the, uh, common theme of 'doors that are wider on one side than the other'.

==> Also bugs

I'm serious, you've done a lot of good work here, but...

==> Thanks

...and as I look for this secret in level 4, more problems arise.

Level 4, 1N, 1N1W: If you move between either of these rooms (And it's possible, you've left it open, you are then trapped and have to restore. And if you tell me that this is /intentional/, I may be forced into violence.

Thats intetion.... erhm... I forgot and orb !

[Edited by Banjooie at Local Time:05-08-2005 at 06:55 PM]
05-08-2005 at 07:30 PM
Banjooie
Since I, uh, don't own JtRH, I can't use that handy level-checking device. I'll post up a screen shot here..

You can, uh, clearly see where I've outlined the exit that doesn't appear to go anywhere.
05-09-2005 at 02:47 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Banjooie wrote:
Since I, uh, don't own JtRH, I can't use that handy level-checking device. I'll post up a screen shot here..
You can't? If not, there's a serious problem. If you don't own JtRH, then you're not supposed to be able to see images of JtRH, but all of the user holds should still work.

05-09-2005 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
No, Schik, it tells me 'You haven't explored any of that hold' for all JTRH holds, user or not. I figured that was just part of the slide into capitalism and all that.

Why does JTRH show up twice in the holds list, anyway

Also, Meckmeck: Having somehow realized I completely skipped level 3, I say the following:

The Wraithwing/Trapdoor thing really isn't funny anymore. Seriously.

[Edited by Banjooie at Local Time:05-09-2005 at 03:32 AM]
05-09-2005 at 03:25 AM
Schik
Banjooie wrote:
No, Schik, it tells me 'You haven't explored any of that hold' for all JTRH holds, user or not. I figured that was just part of the slide into capitalism and all that.
I just now realized that Meck Meck marked his hold's rooms to be viewable only after having been visited in-game, so yeah, only CaravelNet users can view his rooms. Sorry, I didn't think anyone had chosen that option yet.

I see three other holds that were exported from JtRH - can you please verify that you can't view their rooms either? The holds are Krishh's Castle, The Domain of the Grinfidel, and Deep Hold.

05-09-2005 at 03:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Nope, just Meckmeck's. My bad.

I do wish I could recreate that bug I pulled off just like five minutes ago where I managed to refresh all the trapdoors in a room, though. o_o Without leaving.

[Edited by Banjooie at Local Time:05-09-2005 at 03:42 AM]
05-09-2005 at 03:42 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I can't find that last secret room either :(
05-09-2005 at 12:28 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Level 4 1S : Will be fixed with next update, thanks.
Level 3 Wraithwing Challenge : You dont have to skip the level. THe room is not marked as requierd. Maybe ill remove it anyway.
The Demo Version Owner cant see things option is removed.

The 6 Secret Rooms are however (Warning, spoilers !)

There are no more rooms marked as secret.

05-09-2005 at 12:52 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Oh, very good. The secret wall is almost invisible, but its there :)
05-09-2005 at 10:19 PM
Banjooie
Well. Then, as of this morning, I've completely mastered your dungeon, and am currently playing with the rewards.
05-09-2005 at 11:46 PM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
I've been trying to download this hold through JTRH. Most of the time it says ERROR: File Corrupted. One time it downloaded MeckMeck's World instead.

I've already donwloaded it from the top of this thread, but I figured I should report this since it seems like there might be a problem.
05-10-2005 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
KevG wrote:
I've been trying to download this hold through JTRH. Most of the time it says ERROR: File Corrupted.
What speed is your internet connection? And how long does it take to download that hold from in the game? I'm wondering if the download is taking too long and timing out, since it's the largest downloadable hold.
One time it downloaded MeckMeck's World instead.
Okay, that's just plain weird.
I figured I should report this since it seems like there might be a problem.
Yes, please report any oddities like this. In the future, please post these in the Bugs board so we can track them more easily.

05-10-2005 at 02:13 PM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
Schik wrote:
KevG wrote:
I've been trying to download this hold through JTRH. Most of the time it says ERROR: File Corrupted.
What speed is your internet connection? And how long does it take to download that hold from in the game? I'm wondering if the download is taking too long and timing out, since it's the largest downloadable hold.
Not sure what my speed is; I have a cable modem. I just checked and it took 3 minutes for Deep Hold and 30 seconds for Bavato's Dungeon.

The download for King MeckMeck's never actually starts for me. It waits for about 15 seconds, then it flashes "Importing Data" for a fraction of a second before showing the error.

[Edited by KevG at Local Time:05-10-2005 at 02:43 PM]
05-10-2005 at 02:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Banjooie wrote:
Well. Then, as of this morning, I've completely mastered your dungeon, and am currently playing with the rewards.

Ditto. Bonuses are great fun. And more challenging than most of the hold.

05-10-2005 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Hey whats that ? After my holds rate was a steady 6.3 it imploded to 3.7 ; Has anyone discovered a big bug or whats wrong ? Its Ok if you dont like it but I want to know why its worse than Tackersmoore

[Edited by MeckMeck GRE at Local Time:05-17-2005 at 12:27 PM]

[Edited by MeckMeck GRE at Local Time:05-17-2005 at 12:33 PM]
05-17-2005 at 12:21 PM
MeckMeck GRE

Downloaded 74 times.
Time to improve my buggy hold ! ;)

This update removes all those crumbly which were not really needen and annoying. It also reassembles the levels a little. Download it and check it out if its better now.
05-23-2005 at 09:07 AM
cbemom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
I've enjoyed most of this hold, however, the ending stairs on level five take me back to level two. Hmm.

06-01-2005 at 01:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Wiz
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
i have not played much of this hold because well i dislike non-backtrackable things but it could be ok,what disturbs me the most are secondary objectives : i want to achieve them but in level one thay're already tedious (trapdoors thingy) and what bothers me is that when you want to achieve a secondary objective you have to do the room again,hence do the rooms after again too,so (it's just my opinion) secondary aims could have been better in unnecessary rooms (not always secret rooms).for now i won't give a rating and i'll try again ^^
06-01-2005 at 03:18 PM
cbemom
I'd like to finish this, but can't get past level five - would you check the stairs, meckmeck?

Hello?

06-02-2005 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE

Downloaded 66 times.
cbemom wrote:
I'd like to finish this, but can't get past level five - would you check the stairs, meckmeck?

Hello?

Yes, sir Staff Goblin, yes !

I hope it works now.
06-02-2005 at 03:10 PM
Hatlore
Rank Points: 42
Well, I've played the entire hold now, secrets and all, so llets get into details.

Firstly, I'd like to applaud your use of sounds. You actually tried, and they're not half bad, if not altogether clear. It's not fair to score against you for strange grammar usage since you tried your best and did a pretty good job overall. Keep up the good work.

The scripting was fairly good. A lot of holds just don't have it (I've taken a look at the scripting editor, it's not very easy to work with), and yours had some pretty amazing scripting. Good job on that.

The overall difficulty level of the hold was about medium, and most of the puzzles were interesting and fun. I especially want to thank you for your inventive use of the DROD 2.0 elements like Mud and Rattlesnakes. There aren't that many holds out there that use them, and even fewer that use them for fun effect. You did a good job with the JtRH monsters.

Everything was not smiles and gumdrops, sadly. You had many rooms which prolonged puzzle difficult by hiding trapdoors under tar or mud. If you make it obvious where these doors are then it's less of an annoying hack and slash spree. You made it obvious (under tar eyes) in a couple rooms, but many (battleships was fun, but the 7 hidden trapdoors near the end was brutal) were just tedious. I'm gonna take 3 full points off my rating of your hold because of trapdoors under tar. I can't stand trapdoors under tar.

There was also that room on floor two with wraithwings and pits and the invisibility potion. Wraithwings + Pits = Bad room. There are very few wraithwing/pit puzzles that are done well. Sadly, that wasn't one of them. That was tedious.

The plot was kind of confusing, but I thought the confrontation at the end was really fun.

I didn't think the greckle scoring really mattered. I didn't bother to write my score down. On almost everyone room I earned the max possible greckles, but having the user keep an independent score just doesn't work.

Overall your hold was enjoyable, and I encourage anyone making a JtRH hold to study your later floors and use of scripting. I hope you continue to make fun, open ended holds like this where the puzzles are fun. Most of them were really enjoyable. You did good work.

And I'm still deducting 3 points off of 10 for the whole Trapdoors under Tar thing. Don't do that!
06-02-2005 at 08:53 PM
cbemom
MeckMeck GRE wrote:

Yes, sir Staff Goblin, yes !

and that's Madame Goblin - get it right! :D

06-02-2005 at 11:19 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Why is L3:1E marked unscorable? The room is not required, but for highscore purposes, if a room is possible, it should count.
01-02-2007 at 10:30 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Since it's currently impossible to un-mark a room that's been marked unscorable, does it really matter?

01-02-2007 at 03:23 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
(technically, one can re-upload the hold, then fail to re-mark a room as unscorable. not that it matters, anyway)

01-02-2007 at 07:11 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Meckmecks Dungeon (Assorted medium Puzzles with a story and some extras)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com